general counsel is offline Registered User

should the seahawks pay alexander?

If you were the seahawks, would you give alexander 18 million up front, given his age and the natural durability or lack thereof at the running back position? I appreciate that part of this decision is emotional, ie intellectually you know that that type of contract will probably bite you in the butt cap wise later, but given what he has done for the team this year, can you let him go? Is he beloved by the fans like faulk or do the seahawks fans give more credit to their offensive line?

Personally, i think hutchinson is worth more to them long term on a cost benefit durability analysis. If signing alexander cost them hutchinson, i dont think that they would be better off. As long as they have that line, they can get plenty of backs to do major damage and think about what they could do with all the cap room if they let alexander walk.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: should the seahawks pay alexander?

I hope they hawks don't, get the dude out of our divsion......

GC I would go for Hutchinson, it all starts up front, great player.. if I had to pick between them...Perhaps the hawks will take the wait and see approach to alexander, see what the interest will be and how much!!! what is he 30 years old now, may be because of his age teams will shy away from him and giving that HUGE signing bonus that he will command...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Its a tougher call than most think. At first glance, it seems that it would be crazy not to do everything it takes to retain a guy who just ran for 1,800 yards and scored a record 28 TDs.

But, you have to ask - is it Alexander, or is it the O line and the scheme that makes the Seahawks' running game so effective?

Look at the Broncos. They have had stability at the O line that has allowed several RBs (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell) to have great success.

Alexander is a great talent but, as GC noted, the shelf life of RBs can be very short. Truth be told, there will likely be a RB available with the last pick in the First Round who could run for 1,200+ yards behind the Hawks' line.

So, if Alexander wants a deal that will destroy their cap, it might not be worth it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He's proven to be durable (so far), his attempts, yards, and ypc have gone up every year for the past 4 years......but, he will be 29 when the season starts.

Nothing indicates he's slowing down.....except his birthdate.

If I'm the Hawks, anything more than three years will probably come back to bite them. Hopefully (for them), they can arrange the contract with less of a cap hit down the road.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod