RamWraith is offline Registered User

Singletary In / Martz Out On Monday ?

Singletary wows team officials in meeting; wanted for 2009

It's not official yet. But it's getting pretty darn close. Barring some unforeseen event, Mike Singletary will be the ***** head coach in 2009, perhaps as soon as the Monday after the team's finale against the Redskins, according to a source close to the situation. When team officials, including owner Jed York, made Singletary the *****' interim coach in late October, they told him that the team would have to show progress in order for him to keep his job. They have done just that, going 4-4 under Singletary. But Singletary sealed the deal - or came tantalizingly close to doing so - on Monday when he met with team officials and laid out his plan for the future, including both offense and defense. Singletary's vision had been the one remaining question in the minds of team officials.

Under Singletary, defensive coordinator Greg Manusky would be retained. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz, however, would not. With Martz directing the offense, the ***** have climbed from dead last in the league in total offense to 24th this season. But Martz's pass-first mentality, on display in recent games against Miami and St. Louis, clashes with Singletary's ball-control philosophy. It also seems to be at odds with the type of players the ***** have drafted on offense in recent years. Singletary not only discussed his offensive philosophy in the Monday meeting, he cited several candidates to take over at offensive coordinator next season. Those names are not yet known, although they are believed to include both current head coaches and assistants. The *****' biggest concern is for offensive continuity over the next several seasons.

The ***** are prevented from signing Singletary to an extension during the season. However, they are prepared to move quickly as soon as Sunday's game against the Redskins is over. About the only thing that could prevent Singletary's hiring at this point would be if there were a string of firings around the league and Singletary became a hot candidate. The ***** apparently are prepared to move quickly to prevent that.

-- Matt Barrows

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Singletary In / Martz Out On Monday ?

Hmm with all the conflicts he's been a part of everywhere else he's been you have to wonder if there is more to the Martz story. I hope some more behind the scenes info leaks out if/when this comes to fruition.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Hmm with all the conflicts he's been a part of everywhere else he's been you have to wonder if there is more to the Martz story. I hope some more behind the scenes info leaks out if/when this comes to fruition.
    Martz sure does seem to wear out his welcome wherever he goes and doesn't appear to handle directives very well.

jkramsfan Guest

I think that pass happy offense is what just beat the Rams with 2 td's in the final 5 minutes of last Sundays game.