Sources: Broncos' 2007 1st round pick considering retirement
KDVR Staff
3:48 PM MDT, August 1, 2009

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Denver Broncos defensive lineman/outside linebacker Jarvis Moss was not in attendance at the team's practice Saturday. A team source with knowledge of the circumstances surrounding his absence talked with FOX31 Sports and provided an explanation.

He told Josina Anderson, "I was told Jarvis went to (Josh) McDaniels and met one-on-one with the coach and said he does not want to do this anymore. He feels he might be done with football and he's thinking about retirement."

This information has to come to a blow to an organization which drafted Moss with its 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Upon learning this information, FOX 31 Sports attended practice Saturday and confirmed Moss was not there.

Broncos' General Manager Brian Xanders was approached to respond to the information but told FOX 31 Sports, "no comment."

Another source, who has since spoken to Moss on the phone, told Anderson that after their conversation they are now concerned for Moss' overall well being. The source said, "He told me he would talk to me in two hours. That this is his life and he's just got to figure things out."

Moss participated in the team's practices on Friday. After the morning session Moss said, "It's a brand new start for me. I'm going to continue to work hard, pray, and everything will take care of itself."

The source also told Anderson that it's their thought Moss is having a hard time adapting to his new role in the new defensive scheme. He plays a combination of linebacker and defensive end in the 3-4 defense.

In two seasons with the Broncos, Moss has played in 18 games, recording 24 tackles and 3.5 sacks. His rookie season was cut short after suffering a broken shin.