r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sources: Buress, Vick Likely To Get Stiff Penalties

Sources: Burress, Vick likely to get stiff penalties
    By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
    Jun 29, 5:47 pm EDT

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is leaning toward indefinitely suspending former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress(notes) and continuing to sideline quarterback Michael Vick(notes), three sources with knowledge of the situations have indicated. Such moves would be the latest examples of Goodell’s tough stance on players embroiled in off-field issues as evidenced with the suspension of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) earlier this month.

Stallworth has been ruled out indefinitely by the league after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter in the death of a Miami man in March. Stallworth was sentenced to 30 days in jail, two years of house arrest and reached a financial settlement with the family of the late Mario Reyes.

According to a source with the Giants, the league and another that’s close to Vick, Goodell figures to take a similar stance with the quarterback and Burress. Vick, a former starter for the Atlanta Falcons, is scheduled to be released from federal confinement on July 20 after serving 20 months for his part in a dog-fighting ring. A source indicated there was a reasonable likelihood that Vick, suspended indefinitely by the league in August 2007, will not be allowed to play this season and certainly not be with a team in training camp.

Goodell has said multiple times that he wants to see Vick show remorse for his actions. That means Vick may have to follow a strict path of behavior before he’s allowed to return.

“[Vick] is not just walking out one day and playing again,” the source close to Vick said. “I don’t know if he understands that yet, but that’s what it looks like right now if you really pay attention. … Yeah, he served his time, but he has to prove himself. When the commissioner talks about wanting to see remorse, he’s not kidding.”

By contrast, Burress has yet to be indicted on charges that he possessed and fired an unregistered gun in a New York City nightclub in November. However, the slow development of Burress’ case – adjourned until September and could be delayed until March, according to Burress’ lawyer Benjamin Brafman – may not keep him from being punished by the NFL.

His refusal to accept jail time as part of a plea bargain in the case that resulted in a self-inflicted gun wound and could be punishable by as much as 3˝ years has irritated Goodell and others within the NFL, according to the league source.

That situation has left Burress’ status up in the air. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said as many as five teams have contacted him about signing Burress. However, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have said they are not interested in the receiver and most teams are still in a holding pattern when it comes to making a real offer because of the unclear status of Burress with the league and the legal system.

“The commissioner would rather have the prosecutors take some action before he does anything, but he’s prepared to do something regardless if he has to,” the league source said.

Re: Sources: Buress, Vick Likely To Get Stiff Penalties

Goodell has said multiple times that he wants to see Vick show remorse for his actions. That means Vick may have to follow a strict path of behavior before he’s allowed to return.

“[Vick] is not just walking out one day and playing again,” the source close to Vick said. “I don’t know if he understands that yet, but that’s what it looks like right now if you really pay attention. … Yeah, he served his time, but he has to prove himself. When the commissioner talks about wanting to see remorse, he’s not kidding.”
    This is the way it should be. It doesn't matter what Vick says, he has to prove with his actions that he can avoid trouble and not be an embarrassment to the NFL. How bad would Goodell looks if he quickly reinstated Vick and the same old pattern of bad behavior started up right where it left off?

Keenum is offline Registered User

Vick is going to have to take a pretty big step in order to get back in.
    He'd have to volunteer to help Habitat for Humanity, give donations to charity (although right now he's trying to prove he has money or something like that), and go for several months with a crystal clear record.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Vick is going to have to take a pretty big step in order to get back in.
    He'd have to volunteer to help Habitat for Humanity, give donations to charity (although right now he's trying to prove he has money or something like that), and go for several months with a crystal clear record.
    Actually, he is supposed to be working with several animal groups once his house arrest is over. We'll see if he follows through, although it looks like nothing more than self serving public relations to me.

Showing he can stay out of trouble for several months will be the key, because the last time he was taken at his word and released during his sentencing period, he proceded to break that trust by testing positive for drugs.

Ramer is offline Registered User

All I got to say is "Good". It's about time these superstars start realizing they can get away with everything.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Well its happening pretty much as I predicted about VICK in earlier posts--tainted goods and teams are scared to have him on thier field. Fear of public outrage, loss of corporate sponsors might all render moot if VICK is re-instated. Sure he can be re-instated, thats step one...step two, finding someone to take a chance on him. I don't even think Jerry Jones would dare to add VICK to his circus

Funny thing is should the league suspend Plex, for either carrying a concealled weapon and/or carrying it with a chambered round. Double damned for stupidity on both counts. But all fun aside, regardless how the Commisioner comes down on Buress, a lot of teams are weary of his off-the-field problems. Which team would like to sign him to million dollar contracts with the uncertainty he will stay out of trouble. It would be a media Death-watch, one whatever time he might play for--waiting for the latest meltdown in WORLD-Plex. Serious teams like the Steelers, Pats, Chicago, and Green Bay wouldn't want him because of his distractions

Stallworth--well thats hard to figureout what would happen. Now if not for the Star status and large bank role, he would have been treated like anyother "Joe". Likely my guess is that Stallworth runs the highest risk for the worst possible punishments.

In all three cases, its difficult to see any of these three every playing on a serious contender team, regardless what the Commisioner hands out in terms of punishment

rammiser is offline Registered User

Wow 2 years in prison were not enough of a penalty for Vick? He served his debt to society and still deserves to be punished? Not sure I agree with that at all. What Vick did was brutal and disgusting but he served his time. Let him back in, if he screws up then he is done forever. Pacman Jones was let back in to the league served no time in jail and a man is in a wheelchair because of him. Does Pacman seem remorseful to any of you? As for Vick working with animal groups and stuff to pacify people is just rediculous. How about we just hope he doesnt brutalize any more animals. Don't waste my time having Vick work with animals to try and prove to me he is rehabilitated. So if Vick works with animals and does commercials and supports P.E.T.A does that mean he's an animal lover or is it just drawing a picture for the bleeding hearts that need to see that. I don't want to see Vick hugging a dog or be-friending a stray cat, I want to see him become a man and show that his time in prison opened his eyes. Let the guy back in the NFL and prove himself to the world that he has grown up. Save all the gushy animal loving crap for the people who love animals.
    Just Fix It

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

If Vick can find a team to take him, all the more power to him.

I say the 4 game suspension starts as soon as he signs a contract and it is approved by the league. Until then it isn't a suspension as he isn't even on a roster to be suspended from.

I abhor what Vick did and would just as soon he never laced up a pair of cleats again but the league is full of reprobates and who is to say one sin is greater then the other.

What Vick did, IMHO, is worse than what the majority of others has done in that his was premeditated, ongoing, and then he tried to deny all culpability when approached about it.

But, if he can make a positive contribution to a team then that team will sign him. Winning (read: money) is the bottom line and as long as he helps win somebody will pay him.

As far as Plax, I'll take a shtick from Bill Engvall And say, "Here's your sign".

Stallworth, a not-so-smart action with a horrible result but not one that is not duplicated on a daily basis around the country (and world) except that every DUI does not end up with a victim losing their life. No excuse for it, but is all too common it seems.

As far as equal punishments by the legal system, it never has happened and never will. Laws and statutes vary by jurisdiction and interpretations are many varied.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Wow 2 years in prison were not enough of a penalty for Vick? He served his debt to society and still deserves to be punished? Not sure I agree with that at all. What Vick did was brutal and disgusting but he served his time. Let him back in, if he screws up then he is done forever. Pacman Jones was let back in to the league served no time in jail and a man is in a wheelchair because of him. Does Pacman seem remorseful to any of you? As for Vick working with animal groups and stuff to pacify people is just rediculous. How about we just hope he doesnt brutalize any more animals. Don't waste my time having Vick work with animals to try and prove to me he is rehabilitated. So if Vick works with animals and does commercials and supports P.E.T.A does that mean he's an animal lover or is it just drawing a picture for the bleeding hearts that need to see that. I don't want to see Vick hugging a dog or be-friending a stray cat, I want to see him become a man and show that his time in prison opened his eyes. Let the guy back in the NFL and prove himself to the world that he has grown up. Save all the gushy animal loving crap for the people who love animals.
    you have a point here Rammiser,just because Vick is seen hugging animals does that make everyone feel better about him,2 years ago he was fighting dogs and now his is a dog lover,I doubt it.