Thread: Steriods

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Steriods

Just wanted to find out every ones view point on the subject. And if you were the comm. how would you handle the problem?
    I look at Merrimen & think here is this up & coming superstar who had the NFL in his hands or so it seemed, young fast strong & talented & now he will be forever tainted.

I would love to see a plan put together that has the current 4 game suspension for first time offenders. Because everyone should get a second chance. But the second time its lights out, career done.

If we really want to stop this crap we have to hit them hard were it hurts the most, the pocket book, cuz bottom line its all about the mighty dollar.

Is this thought process to severe? what do you think?

Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Steriods

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Just wanted to find out every ones view point on the subject. And if you were the comm. how would you handle the problem?
    I look at Merrimen & think here is this up & coming superstar who had the NFL in his hands or so it seemed, young fast strong & talented & now he will be forever tainted.

I would love to see a plan put together that has the current 4 game suspension for first time offenders. Because everyone should get a second chance. But the second time its lights out, career done.

If we really want to stop this crap we have to hit them hard were it hurts the most, the pocket book, cuz bottom line its all about the mighty dollar.

Is this thought process to severe? what do you think?

Who knows, maybe that speed and strength was coming from the steroids.

I wouldn't be as harsh on them.

1st offense - 4 games, everyone makes mistakes, maybe it was accidental.
    2nd offense - Full season, you know what you're doing after the first one.
    3rd offense - You'd better start trying to get a CFL contract.

I wouldnt be opposed to 3 strikes your out. I just wish someone would step up to the table and lay the law down.

Now do understand the players union would balk at any attempt to end a career, but i think its the only way to get a handle on it.

To bad the fans wouldnt band together & stage some kind of walk out on the game for a weekend at all the stadiums. That would give the NFL & the networks a wake up call to maybe get the ball rollin.

I dont know about the rest of the Clan but im sick of the drug abuse that goes on.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The impact on the integrity of the game, and the way fans perceive it, is enormous. A few weeks ago, fans could look at Merriman and consider themselves priviledged for having the opportunity to watch such an amazing physical specimen play the game of football. Now, the perception will be that he's an artificial specimen. The league needs to have a long term view and accept that to clean up the game it may be necessary to weed out some stars who reached the top the wrong way.

Exactly my point, I loved this guy thought he was outstanding & now he will be in my mind forever tainted.

Then on another side of the story you have a kid who has done everything right worked hard been dedicated, has some talent that just needs to be molded but doesn't get the chance because his teammate is using performance enhancing drugs that elevates him to a higher level. what a shame.

I do think we as fans have to really start to scream are displeasure over this issue. Its not going away until the penalty is to severe for the risk

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The real problem is finding the root cause. When are these kids introduced and educated on the steroid subject. Is it elementry school ? junior high? high school ? Should all kids, no matter the age, that participate in school sports be randomly drug tested??
    Last edited by laram0; -11-02-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Education is the key. Start testing in high school, all athletes in there yearly physical. you come up positive your banned for a year.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it does depend a little bit on what the violation is. For example, if it's a Ricky Williams we-caught-you-smoking-pot kind of violation, that's a little different than testing positive for nandrolone. If it's a matter of addiction, that's the kind of thing you try to help a guy overcome. If it's a matter of trying to gain an illegal advantage with steroids or HGH or whatever, I think that on top of the suspension, the player ought to lose eligibility for any playoff games that season; I don't want to see any physical advantage they gained contributing to a championship. Put that in there and I'm on board for the three strikes idea. I wouldn't be opposed to the second time you're out either. If you want people to stop, you've got to convince them that they're liable to hurt their career and their team more by doing steroids than not. Otherwise, there's always going to be pressure to do whatever it takes to reach the top.

It really is a negative impact on the game. We all got a sense of what it was like to see a guy we knew was juiced up get three sacks against us. But even if it was one of our own guys, it would be bad. I know a lot of people felt betrayed the day McGuire said, "I'm not here to talk about the past." When I see an athlete accomplish something incredible, I don't want to have to question whether he was competing on an even playing field.

thoey is offline Registered User

I was flipping channels last night and NFL network had Merroid on there. They asked him to explain the situation in his own words.

- He said he has been taking this supplement for a while, using it to boost his energy for training camp and getting in shape for the season.

- He said he was notified by the league in EARLY August.

- He said that he is sincere in his apology, he didn't mean to put himself in this position.

- Marshall asked him specifically which supplement he was taking, but he couldn't answer as he and his lawyers had something pending.

About that time, I couldn't stand listening to him any more. First notified in August and it takes until November to kick his butt to the curb?

** Realize, these are my words based off what I heard...
    This space for rent...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Wow...the NFL is slow to make decisions.

I got to take some steriods a couple of times, prescribed by the doctor, and I have to tell you I loved the way they made me feel. I had tons of energy and I felt so alive. If they want to discourage steriods, they need to push the negative consequences into the public eye.

Certainly punishing the athletes that use them would be very important. The NFL seems to have fallin down on the job in this case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

I was prescribed them once. Made me irritable and jumpy. Not a good thing in a customer support person. Snapped at a lot of people that didn't deserve it. Had to get off them and make a lot of apologies...
    This space for rent...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

How do we get rid of the roids? You're kidding me, right? It's pretty simple.

1st offense, you're gone. Period. You don't think that wouldn't send a message to future roid users? If the NFL really wanted to stop this nonsense cold, they could.

Look, in the REAL world, drug use in the work place is not tolerated, at least not in my business. If I fail one single drug test, I will be terminated immediately. I knew this when I signed on, and do you think I would ever be dumb enough to throw a career away for something as stupid as smokin' a joint?

When are people going to start taking reponsibility for their own actions? Screw the three strike rules. Is there anyone gullible enough to believe for one instance, that Merriman's "suppliments" were "tainted", as he claimed? In any of the recent 'roid cases, did any of the users go back and sue the "supplement" company for "spiking" their stash? No! Why? Because they knew they had nothing to stand on, that's why. They KNEW they were cheating. It's all such BS...

When are we going to wake up?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Look, in the REAL world, drug use in the work place is not tolerated, at least not in my business. If I fail one single drug test, I will be terminated immediately. I knew this when I signed on, and do you think I would ever be dumb enough to throw a career away for something as stupid as smokin' a joint?

Good point, But i do believe everyone deserves a second chance.
    I was busted for some pretty stupid things when i was younger & i got the second chance, saw the light & like to think i've been a very good husband, father, son & sucessful buisness man. We all need a lil help now & then. But i do hear you loud & clear.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I am in a physical profeesion and it was suggested to me I try some of the OTC supplements generally used by bodybuilders to help my body recuperate faster and enable some the the nagging muscle aches and joint discomfort heal.

I tend to bulk up rather easily and noticed an almost immediate difference. I do not recall any mood swings associated with it but then the wife says I am always crabby.

There is so much money and potential fame on the line that players are willing to risk everything to gain an advantage over another player or to keep their job.

The "Powers That Be" are slow to act and the appeals process needs overhauled.

Once found guilty an offender needs to be dealt with harshly and swiftly but the NFLPA needs to be onboard before anything is going to work.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've never experienced steroids, some of my friends have in their younger days. They all say the same thing, Definitely changed their moods for the worse.