Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suh getting reputation

MACD is offline Registered User

Suh getting reputation

Those fines are getting higher each time:

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh now has more fines for illegal hits on quarterbacks than accrued NFL seasons.

Suh wrenched Dalton to the ground by his upper torso in an overly aggressive fashion late in the first quarter of a 34-3 Lions rout. Suh was penalized for roughing the passer on the play, which also saw Dalton’s helmet knocked off in a collision with Suh and another Lions defender.

Although one of the game’s most promising young defensive stars, Suh also is quickly developing a reputation as a dirty player. Suh was fined $7,500 last season for an even more egregious hit on Cleveland quarterback Jake Delhomme and another $15,000 for a borderline shot on Chicago’s Jay Cutler.

Suh didn’t take news of the fine well. He posted the following message on his verified Twitter account: “$20,000REALLY???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #NFL #BIGFAIL”

I like aggressive, but I don't like his style or attitude.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Suh getting reputation

Ehhh, the hit on Delhomme was a dick move but the hit on Dalton is just ridiculous. I would agree to give Suh a flag for unnecessary roughness but goodness fining players for doing what defenders need to do is asinine.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Suh made it clear he was going to continue to play the same way he always has after the Delhomme hit, but he's now going to run smack into a league and commissioner looking to minimize injury and punish those who buck the trend. Fair or not, he's on his way to being put on a James Harrison like watch list, which could ultimately lead to suspension. He better wise up.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Suh is getting a reputation... as a guy who will absolutely demolish NFL quarterbacks. You can bet he's getting in their heads and making them stay up at night before they play the Lions, which is something Detroit fans probably haven't been able to say in a long time.

A couple of the NFL Network/.com guys were asked to comment about this; I think the responses by Charles Davis, Bucky Brooks, and Pat Kirwan sum it up very well...

NFL.com news: Suh's aggressive play not dirty, helps give Lions edge

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I agree.. I am in lion country... Suh is badass!!!! It's football... I know it's not safe.. just like I know if I go out and play in the back yard ... it's not a good idea... but where are the sweats man ... when they played in school it was to win.. not be a nancy girl...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Suh is a modern day Deacon Jones. Tough, hard nosed, take no prisoners. The problem is, the modern day would not stand for Jones, and it's not going to stand for Suh if he doesn't conform to Roger Goodell's vision of the NFL. It's impossible to strike fear in the hearts of the opposition if you're serving a suspension. That's just the reality of the situation.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I'm not sure I understand something...

Why does slamming a defenseless player WITH NO HELMET ON to the ground count as striking fear into a player's heart and slamming a QB into the ground (with a helmet on) legally doesn't? I would think a QB about to play the Lions would be just as concerned about Suh if he was worried he was going to get sacked a lot as if he was worried he was going to take major head trauma. Difference is one of those scares the player because he knows Suh might sack him and they'd lose yards and it would kill drives...and the other makes the player worried for his personal safety...which isn't what this sport needs to be about.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I'm not sure I understand something...

Why does slamming a defenseless player WITH NO HELMET ON to the ground count as striking fear into a player's heart and slamming a QB into the ground (with a helmet on) legally doesn't?
    I'm not sure who is making that argument. I suspect opposing quarterbacks are pretty conscious about Suh's aggressiveness and tenacity at getting after the passer, regardless of whether or not the tackle is ultimately deemed legal or not.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, me being the resident Husker fan... I've been kind of quiet about Suh. When it was between Bradford and Suh, I wasn't going to campaign for Suh. The Rams needed a QB, and I'm glad Bradford turned out as advertised.

That said, Suh is probably my favorite non-Ram player in the NFL. I was watching preseason highlights for every game... got to the Lions game, and I knew beforehand Suh didn't have a sack. Wasn't expecting much, but the very last play, they showed Suh throwing down Andy Dalton.

I have to say I laughed. Very heartily. That'll probably be my reaction every time.

EDIT: I think Deacon Jones would be proud.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -08-18-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

If Dalton was not ginger and playing for Bengals, Suh could have been noticed his helmet was off.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Suh is getting a reputation... as a guy who will absolutely demolish NFL quarterbacks. You can bet he's getting in their heads and making them stay up at night before they play the Lions, which is something Detroit fans probably haven't been able to say in a long time.
    Absolutely true.

Until he gets suspended.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I could have only wished that we had his "reputation" on our squad, not theirs.

Harvey Dahl has a reputation too. I'm happy to have him.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    I could have only wished that we had his "reputation" on our squad, not theirs.

Harvey Dahl has a reputation too. I'm happy to have him.
    Could you imagine Dahl and Suh going after eachother in minicamps? lol that would be some good fights there!

and ps. I dont think Suh plays dirty one bit!.Rough, agressive and physical? yes. Im sur Deacon loves watching him get the QB. Watch the video of him getting Dalton, how can he tell if he gots the ball or not still? he cant is the answer

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Could you imagine Dahl and Suh going after eachother in minicamps? lol that would be some good fights there!

and ps. I dont think Suh plays dirty one bit!.Rough, agressive and physical? yes. Im sur Deacon loves watching him get the QB. Watch the video of him getting Dalton, how can he tell if he gots the ball or not still? he cant is the answer
    Isn't that the problem? If you're gunning for the guy's head oblivious to where the ball is, you're going to draw late hit penalties. There is a line between "aggressive" play and actually trying to put the other guy in the hospital. It seems like Suh is riding that line. It's all fun and games until he actually breaks some guy's neck--and if he keeps it up, he just might do so in a meaningless preseason game.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

That's exactly my point and why I don't like this kind of crap. Tackling and sacking is fine (obviously) but grabbing someone's neck, twisting it around and slamming them onto the ground and then falling on their head....not so much. It's not a "freak" tackle either, because he's done it before. He seems to think his job is to injure the QB, his job is to sack the QB...there is a giant difference. Look at how Long hits a QB vs how Suh does it. Suh seems to just close his eyes, wrap up their head and go to town...Long hits them in the chest, wraps them up and brings them down. That's the other thing with Suh...why doesn't he grab someone around the chest or waist like you're supposed to? Why, when he's in position to do otherwise, does he go for the head?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast