r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Suh: No More Home Losses For The Lions This Year

Suh: No more home losses for the Lions this year

By Dave Birkett
    Free Press Sports Writer

The Detroit Lions haven't had a winning record at Ford Field since 2007, but rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said in his blog he expects that to change this year.

"The atmosphere at Ford Field is amazing," Suh said in a post on DetroitLions.com. "I was definitely excited to see that and I definitely think that the defense fed off of it. It was definitely a good atmosphere; I hope they keep it that way throughout the year and don’t take this loss too hard, because I don’t foresee any more losses at home."

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said he's doesn't mind his rookie's confidence.

“Was he talking about in his career?" Schwartz said Wednesday. "Maybe in his career might be a little overconfident. He’ll probably lose one somewhere on down the line.

"The only thing I’d say there with a player is that everything that they do, whether they’re at the grocery store, whether they’re having dinner somewhere, whether they’re on a website or anything else, is all on the record. Something that you might say now to your neighbor all of a sudden is Tweeted somewhere or somebody catches it with a cell phone camera. You want players to have confidence, you want players to understand how important it is to win at home. I like the fact that he’s trying to engage our fans, he’s trying to give them something to cheer for and let them know that we expect to win at home and the fans are a big part of that."

Suh said he stands by his prediction.

"I think this team is a good enough team to have that as a goal," Suh said. "I won’t speak for anybody else because I definitely - that’s my confidence. We’ve seen what kind of talent and what kind of work ethic we have as a team to say that."

Said Schwartz, "You want your players to sort of put themselves out a little bit and be in a position where they have to back it up."

Re: Suh: No More Home Losses For The Lions This Year

Pretty bold statement for a guy on an 0-4 team, with a defense ranked 26th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed. At least he didn't come out and make a guarantee, but he came close. I can't wait to see how we fare against him because from what I've seen, he's looked very good. His team however, not so much.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

The more and more I read about the cocky Lions the more pumped I am for the Rams to go into their house a whoop em. LETS GO RAMS!!!

tulawdog is offline Registered User

Well, they ARE a lot better. Really beat the Bears and gave Green Bay all they wanted.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Lions have barely lost every game this year. They are making progress and are staying in games with Sean Hill as their QB. The team looks like they have a promising future if Stafford can stay healthy but I don't like their chances this week.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Remember in 2007 when Isaac Bruce guaranteed that the 0-3 Rams would go to Dallas and beat the undefeated Cowboys? That one didn't exactly work out, and looking at Detroit's remaining home schedule, I don't like the chances of Suh's prediction either. Besides the Rams, the Lions still have home games against the Redskins, Jets, Patriots, Bears, Packers, and Vikings. They certainly look like they've improved from last year, but I think they'll be lucky to come out of those remaining home games with a .500 or better record, let alone without a single loss.

I'm kind of indifferent on players coming out with predictions or goals for themselves or the team. I don't love it, and I don't hate it. I tend to agree with Schwartz that you want players on your team who are confident that they can succeed, and it looks like Suh falls into this category. That being said, if you make a prediction that you or your team can't live up to, you've got to face it. But who cares, really? You go out on a limb and it shows confidence in yourself and your team. I remember Steven Jackson getting a lot of backlash when he predicted he'd top 2,500 total yards in 2007, but I didn't really see a big problem with that either.

I guess I see it like this - I'd rather have a guy who is confident in his team and challenges himself and his teammates to do something great than a player who could care less about how the team does and has a reputation of not caring and just going out on the field for a paycheck (ie. Alex Barron).
    Last edited by Nick; -10-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Suh sure is cocky

votzemt is offline Registered User

Well SUH is 1-0 on his prediction thus far, not bad, but this was kinda of gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by votzemt View Post
    Well SUH is 1-0 on his prediction thus far, not bad, but this was kinda of gimme.
    I guess they all get tougher from here on out. Looks like Suh is safe, for now.