txramsfan is offline Registered User

T.O. Gets Lots of Love From Peers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051213/..._party_fallout

PHILADELPHIA - Terrell Owens had the microphone and all the attention from a crowd filled with teammates, NFL stars and a few celebrities at his birthday bash.

Already banished from the Philadelphia Eagles, Owens could've taken the opportunity to diss Donovan McNabb again. He could've criticized the Philadelphia Eagles for suspending him four games and deactivating him. He could've called out coach Andy Reid or anyone from the front office.

Instead, the All-Pro wideout professed his love for the city of Philadelphia and his teammates on the Eagles though they're really his ex-mates now.

"That's the side of Terrell that unfortunately people who aren't close to him don't get to see," Kim Etheredge, Owens' publicist, said Tuesday. "That's how he is when he's in his element, surrounded by family and friends."

Perhaps Owens chose his words carefully because of the grievance the NFL Players Association filed on his behalf against the Eagles last week, claiming the team breached Owens' contract by trying to get back part of his signing bonus and by leaving him inactive for the rest of the season.

However, the party was invitation-only and reporters weren't on the guest list, so Owens could've said whatever he wanted without worrying much about any repercussions.

Maybe time away from football softened Owens and made him consider changing his ways. Then again, a defiant Owens vowed he'll return, saying: "I ain't ever going to let anyone change me."

He won't get an argument from any of the people who helped him celebrate his 32nd birthday Monday night at Jay-Z's 40-40 club in Atlantic City, N.J.

"Just do what you do," Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse said he'd advise Owens. "Be you."

Kearse was among at least 19 Eagles, including players on injured reserve and the practice squad, who turned out to party with Owens, one day after the reigning NFC champions were eliminated from playoff contention with their sixth loss in seven games.

Running back Brian Westbrook, cornerback Lito Sheppard and wideout Todd Pinkston each on IR were there. Other starters included tight end L.J. Smith, guard Shawn Andrews and defensive end Trent Cole. Veteran defensive linemen Hollis Thomas and N.D. Kalu also went.

"Personally, he never did anything to me," Smith said. "He invited the whole team. That says a lot. He's a great teammate."

Added Kearse: "He's a wonderful teammate."

Not everyone would agree. Owens wore out his welcome in San Francisco after eight seasons and lasted just 1 1/2 years in Philadelphia, despite his superior talent and skills.

Still, he has plenty of supporters on the Eagles and around the league. Some question whether the team is divided with one group that supports Owens and another that backs McNabb and management.

Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, who lobbied Reid to get Owens back on the team after the suspension, has insisted many players like both Owens and McNabb.

None of the Eagles at the party seemed concerned that management would have a problem with them going.

"Last time I checked, I'm an adult," Kearse said.

The team had no comment Tuesday.

Owens was suspended Nov. 5 after a tumultuous week in which he again criticized McNabb and called the organization "classless." Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return.

On Nov. 23, an arbitrator upheld the decision, ruling that the Eagles were justified in their actions.

Owens' problems started when he demanded a new contract after an outstanding season in which he caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl for the first time in 24 years.

He broke his leg and severely sprained his ankle last December, but played in the Super Bowl just 6 1/2 weeks after ankle surgery.

Owens was kicked out of training camp for one week after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

Owens also annoyed the Eagles with several minor infractions, including violating the dress code on road trips, parking in coaches' spots at the team's practice facility and sleeping through one team meeting.

You know what, good for T.O. I'm sure I'm in the very minute minority who thinks he got a raw deal, but hey, who doesn't work with a jerk or two? Just because they are jerks, they have the right to do their job. A few people who I thought were jerks at work were well, jerks at work. However, when I got to know them they weren't jerks away from work. Some people are just that way. T.O. seems to be that type of person. What gets me is this: a drug user/abuser gets 4 games....T.O. the jerk gets the rest of the season. Now I ask you, would you rather work with a jerk or a a drug user/dealer/abuser? Think about it.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: T.O. Gets Lots of Love From Peers

What gets me is this: a drug user/abuser gets 4 games....T.O. the jerk gets the rest of the season. Now I ask you, would you rather work with a jerk or a a drug user/dealer/abuser? Think about it.
    I do not like TO at all, however, I agree that I would rather work with jerks as oppossed to dopers and drunks. Then again, we piss test dopers and kick them to the curb, so they aren't a problem for long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If someone at a workplace is a jerk AND creates disruptive distractions, they won't be at that workplace for long. The T.O. situation in Philly is not an isolated incident. He wore out his welcome in S.F., and he sealed his own fate in Philly by doing everything in his power to create a dysfunctional work environment. Even when presented with a chance to make amends, he snubbed his nose until of course, it was too late and a done deal.

I applaud the Eagles for making a stand and sticking to it. Good luck to the team that gives him another chance.

Well, there's two sides. There were alot of Eagle players come forward and said they wanted him on their team.

One thing about T.O., on gameday, the man is all business. During the week, he's probably an SOB. However, come gameday, he's all business. So, if I was teammate with all that money on the table my priorities of what is right and wrong may be just like Jerome Kearse's.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, there's two sides. There were alot of Eagle players come forward and said they wanted him on their team.

One thing about T.O., on gameday, the man is all business. During the week, he's probably an SOB. However, come gameday, he's all business. So, if I was teammate with all that money on the table my priorities of what is right and wrong may be just like Jerome Kearse's.
    Well Tx, I don't think he was "all business" when he dogged McNabb up and down the sidelines during a game when it was obvious that Mcnabb wanted nothing to do with him and was trying his best to diffuse a volital situation.

I wonder how many of T.O.'s teammates would just shrug off all his antics if he directed his confrontational tirades at them? It's all about perspective.

T.O. got what he deserved, plain and simple.

mike, that's your opinion and you are welcome to it. So am I welcome to my own and I do believe that what he brings to the field is probably enough for most teammates to look past some stuff. McNabb included. Is it right? Not for me to say, not my money.

socalramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    mike, that's your opinion and you are welcome to it. So am I welcome to my own and I do believe that what he brings to the field is probably enough for most teammates to look past some stuff. McNabb included. Is it right? Not for me to say, not my money.
    I dont care how much you bring to the field when you act like Terell Owens does. I would have kicked his @&$ off the team last season for being a *%$#head! The guy does not feel bad for his actions at all. All he did was get the attenion that he wanted I agree with him in saying that if TO directed some of the stuff he did to Donavon his teammates would not want him either.

socal, you and I bet 90 percent of the NFL fans feel the same way. However, if you go to the locker room of the Eagles I bet they say something different.

Just my opinion.