Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Tampa Bay deals McFarland to Colts and signs Buchanon

Link

The Colts made a strong move Tuesday to improve their run defense, acquiring defensive tackle Anthony McFarland in a trade-deadline deal with the Buccaneers in exchange for a 2007 second-round draft pick.

McFarland, 6 feet and 300 pounds, has spent the last six seasons as a starter on the Bucs' line. Considered one of the NFL's top run defenders at the tackle position, he helped Tampa Bay rank in the top 10 in the league in total defense during each of his seven seasons with the team.

The Colts rank 32nd in the NFL against the run this season, having allowed 166.8 yards per game. They allowed 110.1 yards per game last season.

McFarland entered this season with 292 career tackles, 20 sacks, three forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. He has played in 93 career games with 79 starts. He started all five games this season for the Bucs recording six tackles and two assists.

Meanwhile, the Bucs moved immediately to fill McFarland's roster spot by signing veteran cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who less than 24 hours before was released by the Houston Texans.

Buchanon, a former first-round draft choice, signed a one-year contract with the Bucs late Tuesday afternoon.

The deal reunites Buchanon with Bucs general manager Bruce Allen, who was a top executive in Oakland's front office when the Raiders chose Buchanan with the 17th overall selection in the 2002 draft. The short-term contract will provide Buchanon the opportunity to perhaps regain the form of his early career, when it appeared that he was emerging as one of the league's top young cornerbacks, and then enter the unrestricted free agent market next spring.

Tampa Bay officials have been seeking to add a veteran corner and had worked the phones over the last few days in trade discussions with other clubs. But it's believed the Bucs never came close to making a deal for a cornerback and, when Buchanon became available Monday evening, they focused on him.

Bucs starting cornerback Brian Kelly, who the team had been shopping in casual trade talks, has missed three games with "turf toe." And nickel corner Juran Bolden, despite not missing any games, played hurt through the first month of the season.
    ESPN really does quite a bit more talking up of this deal for the Colts than I would have. A second round pick for a 29-year-old defensive tackle seems a bit steep to me.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Re: Tampa Bay deals McFarland to Colts and signs Buchanon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Link

ESPN really does quite a bit more talking up of this deal for the Colts than I would have. A second round pick for a 29-year-old defensive tackle seems a bit steep to me.
    Agreed, I was thinking a 4th would be generous, wowzers.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe a booger can plug the holes in that Colts d-line ?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Why should they be surprised that the Colts were able to obtain a Booger with a pick? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Sounds to me like he was falling out of favor big time in Tampa. A number 2 pick seems like a lot to give up, but I guess the Colts are in "one player away" mode.

Good AV, I led right into that one LOL

general counsel is online now Registered User

I think its a great trade for the colts, the same way i thought the branch trade was excellent for seattle. The colts have a chance to win it all, how in the world are they going to get a guy anywhere near this good without paying for it? Can it hurt them in the future? Sure, but its not like dt is a speed position. THey can get a couple of years out of him. If he helps get them over the top, its a steal.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think its a great trade for the colts, the same way i thought the branch trade was excellent for seattle. The colts have a chance to win it all, how in the world are they going to get a guy anywhere near this good without paying for it? Can it hurt them in the future? Sure, but its not like dt is a speed position. THey can get a couple of years out of him. If he helps get them over the top, its a steal.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Unfortunately in todays professional sports world everything is about now for the majority of the teams. How the Yankees doing with that ? Redskins ?