Is team gauging interest in unsigned Ogunleye?
By ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins have gauged trade interest for unsigned defensive end Adewale Ogunleye ''in passing'' during recent weeks, an NFL front office source said.

While the Dolphins' stated public stance is they wish to sign Ogunleye, the club has asked teams if they have interest in Ogunleye while conducting talks concerning other available players, the source said.

General manager Rick Spielman declined to comment on any trade talks the Dolphins might or might not have had.

''No one has called, and we haven't talked to anyone directly about it,'' coach Dave Wannstedt said Monday about the prospect of trading Ogunleye.

It would be difficult for the Dolphins to work a trade for Ogunleye because of the salary cap consequences for the parties. The interested team would have to sign Ogunleye to a large contract, then trade a player or draft picks -- or both -- to Miami.

And that would not be a cheap proposition because the Dolphins likely would demand equal value in return for trading Ogunleye, who earned a Pro Bowl berth last season after recording an AFC-leading 15 sacks.

Any Pro Bowl-caliber player the Dolphins would get likely would come with a sizable contract.

Miami has nonetheless made no secret it has contacted several NFL teams in the past 10 days to discuss adding offensive help -- presumably a running back or wide receiver.

BANKS: `I'M ALL RIGHT'

Cornerback Korey Banks will be in a neck brace until later this week and won't play in Saturday night's preseason game against Washington. But the injury that kept him lying on the field for nearly 10 minutes Saturday night is no more serious than a stinger.

''I'm all right,'' Banks said Monday, dispelling fears he might have suffered a serious spinal injury. ``I was just kind of dazed. I could have gotten up, but they told me to stay down.''

THIS AND THAT

The Dolphins waived injured receiver Kendall Newson and cornerback Alphonso Roundtree on Monday. Newson underwent surgery Monday at Doctors Hospital in Coral Gables to repair a torn left Achilles' tendon.

Antuan Edwards took first-team repetitions ahead of Arturo Freeman on Monday. Freeman, slated as the starter at free safety before training camp, took second-team snaps. Edwards is expected to start Saturday against Washington.