throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Team set to sign Hasselbeck; Alexander to get franchise tag

Damn!! They keep getting lucky...makes me sick! I guess we are fine as long as they don't sign a receiver that can catch :confused:

By José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

Seahawks

Enlarge this photoROD MAR / THE SEATTLE TIMES

The Seahawks reached an agreement last night with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck on a long-term deal, according to sources close to contract negotiations.

Details of the deal were not immediately known, and Hasselbeck has to sign the contract to make it official. Assuming he does so by 1 p.m. today, the Seahawks will turn their attention to running back Shaun Alexander and designate him as their franchise player.

The team was to hold a news conference today to announce Hasselbeck's signing.

The Seahawks had until 1 p.m. today to name their franchise player. If Hasselbeck had not signed, the team had informed the quarterback that it would have named him the franchise player. Alexander presumably would have become a free agent on March 2.

The team is not required to use its tag and can designate only one player.

Hasselbeck, 29, was believed to be asking for a deal similar to the one New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington got just before the 2004 season. Pennington signed a seven-year extension for $64 million, including $23 million in guaranteed bonuses.

Hasselbeck was a Pro Bowl participant in 2003 when he passed for a franchise-record 3,841 yards, with 26 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. However, he did not have as good a season in 2004, finishing with 3,382 yards, 22 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Still, the consensus had been that Hasselbeck should be retained, via the franchise tag or a new contract, for the sake of offensive continuity and because he has taken the team to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

Hasselbeck's agent, David Dunn, had been in contact with the Seahawks several times since the team hired Mike Reinfeldt, its former lead contract negotiator, as a consultant to work on deals with pending free agents. Talks heated up after left tackle Walter Jones signed a seven-year contract last week, and Dunn and Reinfeldt worked out Hasselbeck's deal last night.
    Alexander has publicly expressed curiosity about playing elsewhere while maintaining that Seattle is where he wants to remain if a deal can be worked out.

With the franchise tag, the Seahawks can still reach a long-term deal with Alexander until March 16. If there is no deal by then, a contract could not be signed until July. The Seahawks also could try to trade Alexander to another team.

Alexander made the Pro Bowl last season and set a team record with 1,696 rushing yards. That total left him 1 yard short of sharing the NFL rushing title.

If the Seahawks had not signed Hasselbeck, they would have had to offer him a franchise tender worth $8.08 million — the average salary of the NFL's five highest-paid quarterbacks.

The number would have severely depleted the estimated $22 million the Seahawks have in salary-cap room. But they won't take as big a hit with him under a long-term contract.

Alexander's tender will be $6.32 million. He isn't likely to sign immediately. He could skip offseason workouts and training camp, returning in time for the season. Alexander also could decide to skip the entire 2005 season.

Meanwhile, in their search for a team president, the Seahawks interviewed Tim Ruskell, the Atlanta Falcons' assistant general manager, last week.

They also have spoken with Jerry Reese, the New York Giants' director of player personnel, according to the New York Daily News.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Team set to sign Hasselbeck; Alexander to get franchise tag

The spin on this is that the Seahawks have made a real coup by signing Jones and Hasselbeck so they can franchise Alexander, but... maybe that's not such a great thing for them after all.

With these three signings, they will be spent, and will likely lose two defensive starters, Ken Lucas and Chike Okefor. They also will likely not have much to spend on new players.

So that leaves them with their offense in tact, and their defense relying entirely on the draft to improve.

This is good news for them? Why? What have they won with this offense? A wildcard and a division title (in a down year for the division) and no playoff games.

They would probably be better off letting Alexander go and spending some $ on defense.

denverram is offline Registered User

The Seahawks may get lucky on this but they are still the Seahawks and will always be a middle of the road team and find ways to lose. Besides Hasslesack is a master at snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory... Especially against the Rams.

theodus69 Guest

Well put about the mediocrity of the west last year. I think the Seahawks peaked this year and could possibly only hover over the Whiners in the division next year! The Rams are not really far from putting themselves back on top. I think The Cards may surprise next year within the division!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally, I hope they do get all three signed. That is less money to keep Ken Lucas, who I would love to see in a Rams uniform.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I doubt they tagged Alexander with the intent of keeping him. He'll probably be traded so Seattle can gain another high first day pick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman Guest

I doubt they tagged Alexander with the intent of keeping him. He'll probably be traded so Seattle can gain another high first day pick.
    That's the early indication from a buddy of mine in the Pacific Northwest. He claims that Seattle is content with the potential of Maurice Morris and are ready to let Alexander walk (with compensation of course).

I have a hard time figuring out how good or bad Seattle really is. Too many dropped passes that killed drives and scoring opportunities that could have made a huge difference in their team. I still wonder if Hasslebeck throws an uncatchable ball. I can't help but think it's something else going on up there since it wasn't just one or two guys dropping passes. Robinson and Jackson were the main culprits but I saw practically eveyone on the team make crucial drops at one point or another. Very perplexing. I'm glad I don't have to support them.

sbramfan Guest

I find it hard to believe they would get rid of one of the best running backs in the game, in alexander. I bet they keep him.

I'm a little reluctant to call them perennial losers, because a catch here, or a catch there, and they are a very good team. It takes chemistry, but still, on paper, they could still be really good next year, so I won't count them out until the fat lady sings. Their defense can absorb a few hits, like Lucas and still be above average.

Between Seattle and AZ, I think the NFC West could actually be tough next year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to another message board's Seattle fan, Hasselbeck's deal is six years, $47 million with a $16M bonus.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Personally, I hope they do get all three signed. That is less money to keep Ken Lucas, who I would love to see in a Rams uniform.
    My thoughts exactly.