viper is offline Registered User

Which teams suprised you the most in 2007?

Which teams suprised you the most in 2007 compared to where you thought they would wind up at the beginning of the season?

1) The first team being who did better than you thought they would. Name a second choice if you'd like.

2) The second being who did worse than you thought they would. We all know the Rams would probably be our choice. So, besides the Rams who would you pick? Again, name a second choice if you'd like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) My pick for who did better than I thought they would is the Green Bay Packers. Quite frankly, I was thinking it was about time for Favre to retire. Boy was I wrong! Jacksonville would probably be my second choice in this category. Changing QB's really gave them a boost.

2) My pick for who did worse than I expected is Miami. That's an easy one. It was probably the QB situation that did them in. Although, I didn't follow them close enough determine other factors that may have led to their demise. My next choice would probably be the New Orlean Saints. They looked pretty good in 2006 and I thought it would continue in 2007.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Which teams suprised you the most in 2007?

Better than I thought:

Packers surprised me, I too thought Brett Favre had left his best days behind him years ago. He just seemed to take too many chances and just heave it out there resulting in a lot of reckless picks these last couple of years. But it may have been the surrounding cast of guys or maybe he just found the fountain of youth and drank a big mouthful, because he's looking as good as ever this year. The Packers won 13 games, I would've thought 8 or 9 and a fight for a wildcard spot would have been more realistic as the year began.

The Browns surprised me a lot too. Derek Anderson can really play, Brady Quinn will have to fight to even get a chance to start now - I thought he would be a sure starter in 2008 after another lousy year for the Browns. They've got some good young receiving options too, clearly a team on the rise. They won 10 games, I had them figured for a 5-6 win season.

Worse than I thought:

Saints. I honestly thought that last year was no fluke and that they were turning around, I had them as a clear favorite to win their division this year. I haven't followed the Saints closely this year, so I'm not sure what happened. I know they had some injuries, but I'm not really sure why they weren't better this year. They won 7, I would've sworn they'd win 10-11 and their division.

Rams. But enough have been said about that all season I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Better than I thought:

The Browns surprised me a lot too. Derek Anderson can really play, Brady Quinn will have to fight to even get a chance to start now - I thought he would be a sure starter in 2008 after another lousy year for the Browns. They've got some good young receiving options too, clearly a team on the rise. They won 10 games, I had them figured for a 5-6 win season.
    You're right, the Browns were a another suprising team this year. I doubt that anyone saw them coming along so fast.

It just goes to show you that teams can turn things around quickly in this league. Maybe there's hope for us yet!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Better than I thought they would: New York Football Giants!!!

Worse: New York Footballess J-E-T-S!!!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Better:
    Packers. Favre proved why he's the man and Grant came out of nowhere to make the Packers a top 5 offensive unit. Their D is way better than i thought it would be too.

Browns. everyone thought Quinn would be their saviour, who would have thought Anderson could make them this good, this quick. Jamal Lewis' resurgence as a top RB didn't hurt either.

Worse:
    Da Bears. We knew their offense was a joke, but their D and ST was winning games. Their D went from the best to one of the worst in one season. I never saw that coming.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Just to be a little different, I'd have to say that Tampa Bay surprised me quite a bit. No great players on O at any skill position, yet they did pretty well.

Biggest disappointment? Oh, the Whiners. According to all the experts, they would win the division and be "rollin' with Nolan!!"

What happened?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1) Cleveland Browns - Wow. Who would have expected Derek Anderson and that offensive explosion?
    NY Giants - They didn't look so hot early, but they weathered the storm.

2) Chicago Bears - A year ago they looked like one of the best teams in the NFC even with the weakness at the quarterback position. I might have expected a little bit of a letdown, but they only won about half as many games this year as last.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami didn't really surprise me that much. I mean I didn't expect them to be one of the worst teams in league history, but they let Welker and McMichael go--two of their best receiving options--and replaced them with what, Tedd Gin, Jr? And of course the quarterback situation was another big red flag. When they traded off Chris Chambers mid-season, it was pretty obvious even their own front office knew their team wasn't going anywhere soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post

Miami didn't really surprise me that much. I mean I didn't expect them to be one of the worst teams in league history, but they let Welker and McMichael go--two of their best receiving options--and replaced them with what, Tedd Gin, Jr? And of course the quarterback situation was another big red flag. When they traded off Chris Chambers mid-season, it was pretty obvious even their own front office knew their team wasn't going anywhere soon.
    That's a great point about their receivers. What do you suppose would possess them to get rid of three very talented receiving threats?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Just to be a little different, I'd have to say that Tampa Bay surprised me quite a bit. No great players on O at any skill position, yet they did pretty well.
    They do have Joey Galloway who is still a big threat. But, other than that I'd have to agree with you. Tampa did better than I would have thought given their record the last few years.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    They do have Joey Galloway who is still a big threat. But, other than that I'd have to agree with you. Tampa did better than I would have thought given their record the last few years.
    Yeah, I forgot about him. When I thought about the team, nobody came to mind. But you're right, he's still a pretty good receiver. Tampa was just one of those teams I gave no thought to before the season started. So, when they rose to the top, so to speak, it surprsed me.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Gaints and the Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Gaints and the Rams
    Yeah, the Giants have been a big suprise. I wouldn't have given them much of a chance to get to the Superbowl this year.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Better than I expected: I'd have to say the Lions. They at least made it interesting for awhile.

Worse: Denver

Drew is offline Registered User

better-Cleveland. i did think that maybe Brady Quinn would come in light it up from day one,their O-line would be good with the additions of Joe Thomas and Steinbach,to go along with Braylon and Kellen jnr....i did not see Derek Andersen or Jamal having the seasons they did!!!
    what money would the Ravens give to have them back now??

worse- Baltimore,expected them to atleast make the play-offs,with their D even an average O would have been enough!