ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Tebow Released

New York Post
    Jets release Tim Tebow

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:31 AM, April 29, 2013

Posted: 8:01 AM, April 29, 2013

Tebow Time is up.

The Jets released popular backup quarterback Tim Tebow on Monday morning, The Post has learned. The move comes three days after they drafted Geno Smith in the second round to compete with Mark Sanchez, David Garrard and Greg McElroy for the starting quarterback spot.

It ends Tebow’s 13 months as a Jet that were more memorable for all of the headlines than anything that actually happened on the field. The Jets acquired him from the Broncos in March 2012 for a fourth-round draft pick (the two teams also swapped later draft picks).

The Jets confirmed the news with a press release that included a quote from coach Rex Ryan.

“We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow,” Ryan said in the statement. “Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward.”

Tebow reported to the Jets training center in Florham Park to work out this morning, according to a source. Before he made it to the weight room, he was summoned to general manager John Idzik’s office where he was informed of his release by Idzik and Ryan.

The arrival of Tebow last year was marked by a splashy news conference that irritated some who believed the Jets were making too big a deal of a backup quarterback. The Jets sold the move by saying they would use Tebow in a variety of roles, including running the wildcat formation, but it never worked.

Tebow played just over 70 snaps on offense. He also served as the personal protector on the punt team until injuring his ribs in November. He completed 6-of-8 passes for 39 yards and ran the ball 32 times for 102 yards. He did not score a touchdown.

The Tebow acquisition had far-reaching consequences. Former offensive coordinator Tony Sparano never figured out how to use Tebow, and it cost him his job. Former general manager Mike Tannenbaum lost his job after the season in part because of the Tebow trade. Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez also regressed greatly in 2012, and many believe Tebow’s presence contributed to that.

It was a comedown for the Heisman Trophy winner from 2011 when he led the Broncos to a division title. But after the team picked up Peyton Manning, Tebow hit the trading block and the Jets grabbed him.

Tebow’s time in New York will be remembered for the massive coverage it drew during training camp, including a memorable shirtless run through the rain, rather than football.

The whole experiment really failed in December when Ryan decided to make a change at quarterback, but passed over Tebow for McElroy. Tebow told Ryan he did not want to run the gimmicky offenses anymore and just wanted to play traditional quarterback.

By the time the season was over, everyone, including Tebow, seemed miserable that he ended up a Jet. Now, Tebow is now a free agent. It will be fascinating to see if he gets picked up.

It caps a remarkable eight days for Idzik, who traded start cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers on April 21, drafted Smith in the second round of the Draft and now jettisoned Tebow.

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc.

nypost.com , nypostonline.com , and newyorkpost.com are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2013 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy | Terms of Use

Read more: Jets release Tim Tebow - NYPOST.com Jets release Tim Tebow - NYPOST.com

RnD

GO RAMS!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tebow Released

Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez also regressed greatly in 2012, and many believe Tebow’s presence contributed to that.
    If true, then how soft is Sanchez that the presence of a backup causes him to regress.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

My thoughts on Teabow are simple. Once Elway committed to playing the traditional style pro offense / WCO Teabow had no value.....

The Jets mess couldn't help him......

Teabow needs to find the perfect fit in a read-option / pistol offense and take a backup role there....

Everyone gets hurts in the NFL and Teabow can be successful in a read-option with talented playmakers around him....he gets too much flack for being bad...when he is being used wrong:

The NFL is a league in transition that has commited to read-option schemes and Teabow was a little early.....with only 6-8 teams running this style, and most don't need him.....he needs to find a back up role with Seahawks, Niners, Eagles, Redskins or a new squad and start fresh....

I truly think he could be a 'winning' QB in the NFL, probably not a elite superbowl guy., bad definitely could start....and be productive
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

While I agree with HUbison that Tebow's presence should not cause a starting QB to melt down, I can see why teams would be reluctant to sign a back-up QB who draws the type of attention that Tebow draws.

citr92 is offline Registered User

rex ryan, plain and simple

Randart is offline Registered User

Agree with all you guys have said about Timmy Tee... I am a fan actually but was surprised he bucked doing anything he could to play even if it meant being a full back. I think he could be a good QB even great ones have seen it in him... Namely Joe Namath and Steve Young! I think Tim could get to a point of being like Steve if he had the right mentorship and coaching. I don't know if he will ever be as good as Steve was that is alot to ask of anyone but I think he could be successful. I think it is sad that his life is such a circus cause it may kill his chances of being an NFL QB. Good Luck to him as I think he trully means well!

RuffRams is offline Registered User

We should pick him up, release bradford, and start tebow!

Note: My sarcasm is always italicized
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    We should pick him up, release bradford, and start tebow!

Note: My sarcasm is always italicized
    Damn you! I was about to say the same thing when I seen Tebow released but you beat me to the punch! lol Kuddos to you!