AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Ten Post Super Bowl Thoughts

1. The Patriots are a dynasty. There is not denying it. But, am I the only one to feel like they are different from any other dynasty the NFL has seen? While others were dominant, the Patriots are methodical. While others destroyed the opposition, the Patriots frustrate them into submission. When the Steelers, Niners and Cowboys were at their best, they looked unstoppable. The Patriots... well, they just seem to get the upper hand, ever so slightly, when the clock reads 0:00.

2. I give TO a lot of credit for his performance. He still is an a$$, but I think I might take an a$$ like him on my team.

3. Donovan McNabb was the difference. No doubt about it, he was adversely impacted by the magnitude of the game. He never really settled down.

4. How lame were those commercials? I mean... chimps in business suits? That's about as fresh and original as Paul McCartney singing "Hey Jude" in 2005. And, what exactly is Budweiser's message...? "People who taunt their friends, steal their girlfriends and jump out of planes without parachutes love our beer!" Okaaaay... The creativity in the advertising industry is sorely lacking.

5. Chris Collinsworth, for all his years as a player and an analyst, has remarkably poor insight. Half of the things he said were just plain wrong.

6. The big winner yesterday...? Instant replay. Three challenges... three calls overturned.

7. If Mike Martz had exhibitted clock management like the Eagles did in the last five minutes of the game, he'd be burned at the stake by Ram fans, and ridiculed for eternity by the media. Let's see how Andy Reid is treated (though, from my perspective, it seemed like McNabb was the one really confused at that point in the game).

8. The Patriots ran a play that I thought was great. They faked a reverse to a wideout (Brown or Branch, I think) and then he kept going and eventually received a swing pass. I can see McDonald and Curtis running that play to perfection.

9. For all the gushing done by the announcers, I don't think the Pats' CBs played that great. Just goes to show what a consistent pass rush can do to protect average CBs.

10. I'm already looking forward to next season.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ten Post Super Bowl Thoughts

The Patriots are a dynasty.
    No question about it. The results speak for themselves. Three SB wins in 4 years, and especially during our current rent-a-player football society, defines a dynasty. At every level of the organization, their personnel believe in the system and are working towards a common goal of winning. It would be refreshing to see that here.
    I give TO a lot of credit for his performance. He still is an a$$, but I think I might take an a$$ like him on my team.
    yea, he made his way back to the field, and what happened, they lost. I don't ever want to see careers shortened by injury, no matter how big a jerk they are or at least perceived to be. However, I will admit, I found joy in the fact that Philly won the two games they didn't have him, and lost the only one they did. Regardless of what physical skills he may bring to the table, he's a cancer and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our locker room.
    Chris Collinsworth, for all his years as a player and an analyst, has remarkably poor insight. Half of the things he said were just plain wrong.
    This guy is useless. Aikman and his multiple concussions makes more sense and dives deeper than Collinsworthless. If he would just jump to ESPN, he would fit right in.
    If Mike Martz had exhibitted clock management like the Eagles did in the last five minutes of the game, he'd be burned at the stake by Ram fans, and ridiculed for eternity by the media. Let's see how Andy Reid is treated (though, from my perspective, it seemed like McNabb was the one really confused at that point in the game).
    My prediction is that when the experts deliver their opinion, it will be Martz' fault that Reid's offense had no urgency. I don't know the details, but it will be Martz' fault.
    For all the gushing done by the announcers, I don't think the Pats' CBs played that great. Just goes to show what a consistent pass rush can do to protect average CBs.
    I'm still curious what it is that the announcers were seeing as they consistently praised the NE corners. McNabb was frustrated by consistent run stopping, pass rushing, and double coverage from the safeties. When the corners were man-up, McNabb found his receivers rather easily. In fact, in the 2nd half when Philly was moving the ball rather well, the NE corners were playing as loose as our corners. Anyone could have thrown on that coverage, even a rattled McNabb. I wasn't as impressed with the NE corners as the broadcast team, but hey what do I know?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

I agree 100% on your first point..The NFL is like the Nascar league...the Patriots have figured out how to tune their race car within the partameters of the rules to win, but not dominate.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Let's see how I did from my pre-game list ...

1) True. The game was won by three points achieved by Vinatieri's field goal, which wasn't last second.

2) Somewhat true in that I identified the Pats playing another close game, however I probably can't accurately say whether or not the Eagles are in the same class.

3) True. McNabb was pretty bad last night.

4) True. McNabb gained zero yards on the ground.

5) Half true. It was on Colvin, not Harrison, but there was a NE unnecessary roughness penalty.

6) Almost true. I said Dillon would have over 75 rushing yards and one TD. He had exactly 75 rushing yards and one TD. That's actually kind of scary.

7) Completely false, and I'll be the first to give TO credit for getting back into playing shape for this game. That said, I still hate his antics.

8) I still think this is true, especially after a very poor (IMO) halftime show.

9) Not true, but he should have, because it would have given me a reason to watch that performance.

10) Trotter had four tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no interceptions. I'm going to have to go with true on this one.
    So really, I only whiffed on one. Damn...

As for your list, Av...

1. I agree completely. They're not dominant in terms of margin of victory, but the bottom line is they win. Dynasty they are.

2. I give him credit as well, but I wouldn't want him.

3. Agreed. McNabb proved to me that this "break-out" year was more because he had a legit receiver than because he made huge strides in his own game.

4. After the first quarter, I didn't even bother watching commercials. Not very good this year.

5. Agreed.

6. Would that make the big loser the officials, for missing those calls during live play? I swear, something needs to be done about officiating in the NFL. Maybe it's me, but I thought it was pretty poor overall this season in games I watched.

7. There's no excuse for that lackluster drive to get the final TD. They wasted so much time. Then to kick the onside kick I thought was a horrible call. Your defense had been playing well, and based on field position, you're going to have to drive a long way if you give it to them at midfield. Andy Reid should be lambasted for that, but since his name isn't Mike Martz, it'll probably be glossed over.

8. I must have missed that one.

9. In the last three Super Bowls, NE's secondary has given up 365 yards to Warner, 323 yards to Delhomme, and 357 yards to McNabb. I'd say their pass defense in the Super Bowl has been rather lacking in terms of actually shutting down the opposition.

10. Agreed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

clanram_81 is offline Registered User

The thought of the Pats and a dynasty is disgusting to me ... lol ... but soon the rams will be back on top and the world will be a better place and we can all rest easy with no thoughts of the patriots winning anything other than a 1st class trip home from the superbowl as losers to the St. Louis rams, or what kinda decisive impact T.O. will have on anything other than what Randy Moss will do the following week in the endzone to out do him... lol ...The Pats are a good team yes, but I agree with the comment made earlier about their lack of dominance in the game. I don't think they are the super heroes that they are made out to be. I just hate them with a passion and have a really good reason... lol ... I was hoping that the game would be decided in the eagles favor on a tuck rule called late in the game just so Brady could eat it. You know, Mcnabb fumbles it on the 20 and the Pats pick it up and take it back to overcome a 6 point deficate with no time on the clock, but wait they call it back on the account of the tuck rule and the eagles win. Other than the stress of it going that late in the game I would've loved that. Go Rams ... :ramlogo:
    :football: ... It isn't the size of the dog in the fight ... It is the size of the fight in the dog ...:clanram:

As much as I hate the Pats for what they did to the Rams (as well as some of their fans), I had to smile while watching Bruschi play with his kids before the game.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I agree the Pat's aren't dominant. I was about to have an anuerism the way they were stacking the box with 9 guys and the Eagles didn't take advantage of it. T.O. one on one against a rookie (I think) and McNabb can't get the ball? At least throw it deep to try and make the Pat's honest! Very poor passing performance by McNabb when it mattered-in the consistency department. The td's he threw were somewhat miraculous. I don't know if the miracle was that he actually threw a good pass or if he really had it in him though.

After last year's "let's try and please every musical taste on earth" halftime debacle I was pleased with the Paul McCartney halftime show. It wasn't supposed to be the biggest spectacle in the history of entertainment and it was a good live performance by a rock legend. I had no problems with it at all. And if I never have to see or hear Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson flopping around on stage, laughablly trying to "push the envelope" or "make a statement" and then have it all blow up in their face I'll die happy. I'll take classic Beatles/Wings songs over the production last year. Even the songs that were worth listening to were all edited for time and it was just a mess. This year was a welcome change in my opinion.

Would Martz be ridiculed more than Reid for yesterday's coaching? I don't have the stomach to hang out on an Eagles board to find out. Does he deserve to be criticized? Sure, I think so. The fact that he doesn't make the same types of coaching blunders on the same basis as Martz might lead one to think that his mistakes were somewhat unique rather than a pattern though. But, I agree and admit that I would be lambasting Martz if he called a one-sided gameplan like Reid did. Of course, at this point it's hard to tell if it was the coaching or the execution on the field. The Patriots dared the Eagles to pass and McNabb is so inaccurate that the Pat's never really had to abandon the over support of the run stoppage. I do give credit to Reid for finding ways to get the ball to Westbrook (a la Marshall) although Donavan couldn't consistently do it. There were a lot of missed opportunities for the Eagles last night. Wide open receivers not being spotted by McNabb (Mitchell and Westbrook off the top of my head). If he hits just one more of those the Eagles could have gone home winners.

The main difference between XXXVI and XXXIX is that the Pat's dared the Eagles to pass and in contrast they dared the Rams to run. Both teams should be criticized for not being able to execute what they were given by the defense. Okay, capitilaze may be a better word. Both the Rams and Eagles put up decent yardage, just not points.

Yet interestingly enough, both were only losers by three points, and in the Rams' case, they lost via a last second field goal.

And to clarify, I think McCartney's performance was good, but I don't think it was a good halftime show, if that makes sense. I want to see something that's going to keep me excited and on the edge of my seat, ready for the second half. McCartney didn't do that for me last night.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Patriots are without a doubt a dynasty. They are head and shoulders above every team in the league, including the team that is fast becoming "the new Buffalo Bills". It must really suck to be an Eagle fan, ouch!

The fact that we created this monster makes it all the more maddening. I had high hopes Philly could rise to the occasion and blow the dynasty talk out of the water, but New England once again subjected their opponent to a slow, methodical death. It may not be dominant, but it's Belichick's game and when it's all on the line, he makes it work.

Andy Reid, like others before him was manipulated, taken out his comfort zone and unable to recover in time to make a difference. Belichick is a master at dictating the flow of a game, keeping the opposition out of sync, keeping things close, then letting his seemingly unflappable playmakers pull out victories. I agree Martz would have been crucified if he did the things Reid did.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

I agree with some others wanting this whole “Dynasty” thing for the Pats to go far, far away, but that was not the case. Philly had their opportunities and a little bit of each of them didn’t step it up, too bad.

As for T.O., I personally think he did a great job considering his health circumstances. So I must give him credit for his performance and I have NEVER been a T.O. fan but I was Sunday because I really wanted them to take the Pats down. I think if the Eagles would have pulled this one off, Terrell would have been named MVP but Deion for the Pats was deserving. I saw him on TV this morn and he said he got like 1 hour of sleep. (I wonder if adrenaline had anything to do with it and maybe a little celebration?) :smile:

I was not impressed with the commercials this year, except the cat with the spaghetti sauce one was funny and I’m a major lover of cats and dogs. You gotta have a sense of humor, ya know.

As for the time management at the end of the game for the Eagles, I was saying, “Hey, how did Martz get on the field and start making calls?” LOL

And I agree, Bruschi with his kids was really cute, I liked that.

Now, on to next year. GOOOOOOOO RAMSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Martz and clock management

7. If Mike Martz had exhibitted clock management like the Eagles did in the last five minutes of the game, he'd be burned at the stake by Ram fans, and

If Martz were in charge of Eagles clock management, there would have been no timeouts to issue a challenge after 8 minutes in each half. If he simply managed it like Reid did, he would not have been burned at the stake. Rams fans would shrug their shoulders, asking, "What else is new?"