Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Things continuing to come undone in Arizona

James angered by lack of running plays
    Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Oct. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

Running back Edgerrin James harshly criticized the team's play-calling after Sunday's 23-20 loss to Kansas City, saying the Cardinals didn't run the ball enough in the fourth quarter.

"We just got away from the run," said James, who gained 71 yards on 24 carries. "That's the stupidest thing. You have to be able to finish the game. You got to give us a chance, you know."

James carried four times for 10 yards in the fourth quarter.

Beginning with a possession that started with 9:29 remaining, the Cardinals passed on four consecutive plays. They were leading 20-17.

"That's like something new to me," James said. " I thought we played to win the game. You sit back and you wait and you say, 'OK, this is when my opportunity will come, this is when we're gong to wear them down and we're go to play to win the game.' But it's like we're doing the opposite."

The Cardinals did try to run on the last possession of the third quarter. James gained 9 yards on first down but was stopped on second and third downs.

Coach Dennis Green said that probably had something to do with the decision to pass later.

"We've got a certain amount of confidence in our passing attack," Green said. "I don't know if that's misplaced or not. And we don't have as much confidence in the running game, and I don't know if that's misplaced or not, to be honest with you. When you're 1-4, you're not sure of anything."

MRI for Fitzgerald
    An MRI exam today should reveal the severity of Larry Fitzgerald's right hamstring injury, sustained during the first quarter Sunday.

The Pro Bowl receiver said he injured it on a "pretty stupid play." The ball went to the opposite side of the field and he tried to position himself for a block.

"I was trying to crack back on a guy, and he just kind of moved out of the way at the last minute," Fitzgerald said. "When I was lunging, he wasn't there. I felt it pop on me."

Fitzgerald had caught two passes for 15 yards, including a 5-yard touchdown pass from Matt Leinart, but he knew he was finished for the day.

"I couldn't even straighten my leg out, so I knew I (couldn't) continue," he said.

Green considered the injury "fairly serious," but Fitzgerald refused to speculate.

Two thoughts
    Down 17-10 at halftime, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards had two thoughts: The score could have been worse, and the Chiefs couldn't afford to allow the Cardinals to score another touchdown.

"If we let them score one more touchdown, it's over," he said. "We did a pretty good job of that, holding them to field goals."

No jinx here
    Chiefs fullback Ronnie Cruz said he doesn't buy into the perception that the Cardinals are jinxed.

"I don't think anything like that," he said. "They played their tails off, and I give them a lot of respect. They had a good game plan coming in against us, and we went toe to toe with them, and we came out on top."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Things continuing to come undone in Arizona

Does Dennis Green run this team or what ?? Sounds like he needs to take the bull by the horns or get out of Dodge.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Of course, they'll probably draft some big name skill player next year and, once again, be on every "expert's" list of "up and coming teams."

I said it before the season, and I'll say it again. They have no O line. Until they build one, they won't go anywhere. Same can be said of the Miami Dolphins, another misguided "expert pick" for this year.

If you make your picks based upon fantasy football ideals, you're going to overrate teams that are not good in the trenches. But, hey, what do I know? I'm no "expert." I'm just a casual fan with a brain.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"We've got a certain amount of confidence in our passing attack," Green said. "I don't know if that's misplaced or not.
    Misplaced? Ya think? A laughable OL and now a rookie QB who's expected to carry the offense. Now there's a winning formula for you.

Denny Green is the ultimate knee-jerk-reaction desicion maker. He is so intent on proving that he made the right move by saying Leinart gives the Cards their best chance to win that he is going to try and make it happen come hell or high water.

Who's up next? The Bears on national TV. Now that is going to be ugly and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it.

"SAME OLD CARDINALS" and downward spiral never rang so true.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Edge still got 24 carries in the game. Yes the playcalling is questionable in Arizona but tell me when it hasn't been. If James wanted to win, he should have taken less money and stayed with the Colts. Some people realized that he would struggle in Arizona because their O Line is horrible, so I don't feel sorry for him. He got his money, now they are losing and he can't run, live with it Edge.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I don't know, but I just don't feel bad for him.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

ramsbruce,

I agree with you. Edge needs to stop acting like T.O. and make things happen on the field. He left his pacifier ( Peyton Manning) in Indy.

RamDodger is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course, they'll probably draft some big name skill player next year and, once again, be on every "expert's" list of "up and coming teams."

I said it before the season, and I'll say it again. They have no O line. Until they build one, they won't go anywhere. Same can be said of the Miami Dolphins, another misguided "expert pick" for this year.

If you make your picks based upon fantasy football ideals, you're going to overrate teams that are not good in the trenches. But, hey, what do I know? I'm no "expert." I'm just a casual fan with a brain.

Couldn't agree more. No line = No chance in the NFL. AZ has alot of talent but is misguided under Denny Green and missing key talent on the line. Leinart wasn't the answer last week and will start to look like a rookie against better teams (i.e. Chicago) the longer the season goes on.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Denny Green is the ultimate knee-jerk-reaction desicion maker.
    He'd be a great internet message board poster then. :x
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The sad thing is...the casual fan knows more than these "experts". That's the pathetic part.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

general counsel is offline Registered User

Denny is such an overated coach its pathetic. Gee, i wonder why he keeps getting hired. I have no sympathy for edge. He took the cash to go to a team with no o line which he knew going in and now hes complaining about it. Too bad, so sad.

ramming speed to all

general counsel