Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

To those who want Trotter in St. Louis next season...

Trotter: I plan on being back
    Tuesday, February 08, 2005
    By MARK ECKEL
    Staff Writer

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. - Jeremiah Trotter smiled that big grin he flashes when he knows something you don't know.

Trotter, whose one-year contract with the Eagles expires March 1, was talking about that impending free agency, when he grinned the grin.

"Let me just say it like this," he said. "I plan on being back here. I'm very confident I'll be back."

Trotter and the Eagles broke up once and it was ugly.

Somehow, some way through the grace of the NFL, they got back together again this year and it was good, for both of them.

If they don't keep this together this time, they're both crazy.

Trotter is the perfect middle linebacker for coordinator Jim Johnson's defense, and Johnson's defense is the perfect system for Trotter.

Now if that little issue called money can be worked out, then you can expect an announcement of a new deal in the next couple of weeks.

"They have had some talks with my agent," Trotter of Jim Sexton, who was in Jacksonville this week for the Super Bowl. "I really haven't thought about it much. I'm still in a whirlwind from the season. I'm going to go to the Pro Bowl, bring my family to Hawaii for a week, relax and when I get back hopefully we'll get started with it then."

Trotter left for money the first time when Washington gave him a $7 million signing bonus that nearly doubled what the Eagles had offered.

He came back for the worst possible deal a player could get, then again it was the only offer he got. He signed a one-year deal, with no signing bonus at all for the minimum of $535,000 and signed an injury waiver that if he re-injured his knee, the team was not responsible.

So they both kind of owe each other a little bit.

The Eagles have room under the cap. Trotter wants to stay here and does not have to break the bank to do it. He just wants fair market value for a player of his stature.

"There's no reason it can't get done," said one of the Eagles assistant coaches. "We know he wants to be here, and he knows we want him here. I don't see any problems."

There really shouldn't be.

"Like I said, I'm confident," Trotter said. "I think the Eagles organization wants me. Coach Reid said he wants me. Coach Johnson said he wants me. I'd love to retire as an Eagle. I'm comfortable here. So when you factor all of that in, I think it should work out."

-- -- --

Trotter is one of 13 key unrestricted free agents to be on the Eagles.

He also campaigned for his buddy, backup linebacker Keith Adams, who may be testing the market in a couple of weeks.

"No, they have to bring The Bullet back," Trotter said using Adams' nickname. "The Bullet is coming back, that's for the record."

Adams, who is only 25, may get some offers to be a starter, a role he showed he could handle at times for the Eagles.

"I like it here," Adams said. "I'd like to stay. We'll see what happens."

-- -- --

Another free agent is guard Jermane Mayberry, who along with Hollis Thomas and Brian Dawkins has been with the team longer than anyone has.

Mayberry, the team's No. 1 pick in 1996, knows his days with the Eagles could be over.
    "I understand the situation," Mayberry said. "They drafted Shawn (Andrews) in the first round. Artis (Hicks) signed a long deal. They have some young players, like Jamal Jackson who they like. It's just like with Troy (Vincent) and Bobby (Taylor) last year. They had the young corners, so they let those guys go."

Mayberry, a solid veteran who has been to a Pro Bowl and was an alternate this year, will get his share of offers.

FREEBIRDS

(The list of current Eagles who will be unrestricted free agents, March 1)

QB Jeff Blake; RB Dorsey Levens; RB Correll Buckhalter; FB Jon Ritchie; TE Chad Lewis; G Jermane Mayberry; DT Corey Simon; DE Derrick Burgess; DE Hugh Douglas; DT Paul Grasmanis; LB Ike Reese; LB Keith Adams; LB Jeremiah TRotter
    (Restricted- RB Brian Westbrook).

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: To those who want Trotter in St. Louis next season...

You could have said hes not coming to expensive.

xHOLTx81 is offline Registered User

I think trotter in st.louis next year would be very positive to the defense

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by xHOLTx81
    I think trotter in st.louis next year would be very positive to the defense
    He would be great here, but he wants to be in Philly. So to get him here would break us. However, I like to think about it this way. Philly has to pay more money for the same product. What they got last year for half-a-million is going to cost them 4 or 5 or maybe 6 times that now. That's $2 or 3 million less that they have to play with.

Anything that makes it harder to keep their team together is a positive in my book.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

I don't even think you could get him here if you broke the bank, The man tested free agency, went to the Skins for big money. He realized what a mistake it was in his first year there. Got back to Philly, his home, as soon as he could.

I said this in the last thread about Trotter. Give up on him. He wants to be in Philly and we couldn't afford him if he decided to leave...
    This space for rent...

Chrisbob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    I don't even think you could get him here if you broke the bank, The man tested free agency, went to the Skins for big money. He realized what a mistake it was in his first year there. Got back to Philly, his home, as soon as he could.

I said this in the last thread about Trotter. Give up on him. He wants to be in Philly and we couldn't afford him if he decided to leave...
    Yep, as a 'Skins fan I seen how we got burned by Trotter. He is a system player and he never fitted the 'Skins D. He is the perfect fit for Philly and he knows it, he will just use free agency to try and get the best price he can out of Philly.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

He could be great here. I was very impressed when I watched him in person for those two playoff games. But, he's ADORED in Philly and won't leave again, period. He could have been great in Jax, but it didn't work out. He belongs in Philly.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    He could have been great in Jax, but it didn't work out.
    ...are you thinking of Hugh Douglas?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!