Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Thursday Night Football on CBS

NFL partners with CBS on 'Thursday Night Football' in 2014

• By National Football League

NEW YORK -- The National Football League will team with longtime broadcast partner CBS to produce and televise "Thursday Night Football" for the 2014 season, it was announced today by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corp., and Sean McManus, chairman, CBS Sports.

CBS will air eight early season games that also will be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will also televise eight late-season games in the run-up to the playoffs. The mix of games will include 14 on Thursday nights and two late-season games on Saturday.
    The full slate of 16 regular-season games will be produced by CBS with its lead broadcasters and production team, including Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, on all Thursday night games. In a new twist, NFL Network hosts and analysts will be featured in the pregame, halftime and postgame shows along with CBS Sports announcers.
    The agreement is for the 2014 season with an additional year at the NFL's option.
    "NFL Network built Thursday into a night for NFL fans," said Commissioner Goodell. "Our goal is to bring these games to more fans on broadcast television with unprecedented promotion and visibility for Thursday Night Football on CBS."
    "We are very pleased to build on our outstanding partnership with the NFL by expanding our coverage to Thursday nights," said Moonves. "CBS is a premium content company and the NFL represents the best premium content there is. I look forward to all this new deal will do for us not only on Thursday nights, but across our entire schedule."
    "The NFL is the most powerful programming in television," said McManus. "To add a primetime NFL package to our successful Sunday AFC package further strengthens our position in the sports marketplace. We look forward to having Jim and Phil and our top production team showcased in prime time on Thursday nights."

Love this decision, I prefer Nantz/Simms commentary over the guys on NFL Network.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Thursday Night Football on CBS

Although the announcers for the NFL Network weren't very good (Mike Mayock & I forget the guys name) the quality of the games is what really hurt. Some terrible matchups for Thursday Night didn't help and it's not going to help CBS either. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will have their work cut out for them.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Although the announcers for the NFL Network weren't very good (Mike Mayock & I forget the guys name) the quality of the games is what really hurt. Some terrible matchups for Thursday Night didn't help and it's not going to help CBS either. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will have their work cut out for them.
    This is obviously about adding more viewers to the Thursday night broadcasts, and ultimately more money to the NFL coffers.

I have to disagree with you on Mike Mayock. He doesn't have the best announcing voice, but IMO he is by far the best commentator when it comes to explaining the subtleties of the game in terms people can understand. I always look forward to listening to him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This is obviously about adding more viewers to the Thursday night broadcasts, and ultimately more money to the NFL coffers.

I have to disagree with you on Mike Mayock. He doesn't have the best announcing voice, but IMO he is by far the best commentator when it comes to explaining the subtleties of the game in terms people can understand. I always look forward to listening to him.
    Mayock is one of my favorites when it comes to grading college players. For me, his color commentating is over the top. To much info...zzzzzzzzzzzz