Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiki Barber

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Tiki Barber

There is a bit of dagger throwing contest going on. Since Tiki Barber has announced he's going to retire at the end of this season. The infamous Tom Jackson and Michael (homer) Irvin have publicly stated that Tiki is now a distraction for the Giants team. Tiki has taken offense and stated on the Barber Shop that these 2 guys need to learn to be journalists. Tiki also added that the Giants did okay with his help on Monday night vs. Michael Irvins Cowboys. Distraction ?

I've made it be known in previous threads that I have no use for Irvin. I was never real high on Jackson either. This situation puts Jackson on my Sh** list right below Irvin.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tiki Barber

I love how a nimrod like Irvin will sell-out a hard working team player like Barber as a distraction.......yet, defend a true cancer like TO with his last breath!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I love how a nimrod like Irvin will sell-out a hard working team player like Barber as a distraction.......yet, defend a true cancer like TO with his last breath!
    Great point Hub, Another reason I dispise that weasel.:x

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well look at what team TO is on too, and look at what team Barber is on.

If Barber was on the Cowboys, he'd be singing a different tune.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I love the quote, "That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin." The "facetiously speaking" jab is hilarious. How can you not like Tiki Barber?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Irvin went further than just calling him a distraction this morning on Mike and Mike, he flat out called him a quitter. He said that Tiki has forgone any right to encourage or try to pump up his teamates because, as he put it, they're all going to be thinking "Shutup you quitter, I'm not listening to you." That would be Irvin's reaction, not the majority of people in the NFL. I think Irvin's back on the pipe again.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Irvin went further than just calling him a distraction this morning on Mike and Mike, he flat out called him a quitter. He said that Tiki has forgone any right to encourage or try to pump up his teamates because, as he put it, they're all going to be thinking "Shutup you quitter, I'm not listening to you." That would be Irvin's reaction, not the majority of people in the NFL. I think Irvin's back on the pipe again.
    I'd like to hit him and Tom Jackson over the head with the pipe!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

It's their opinion, they have the right to say what they want. But I guarantee you if Tiki was on the Cowboys saying that, Irvin would have a different input and so would Jackson. I for one, think its great that Tiki is doing what he is doing. He wants to do what he feels is right for him, and like he has said he's considered retiring for years now. I think running back is a LOT more grueling than wide receiver in my opinion, so I think Irvin (whether we like it or not will have a voice...) shouldn't even have an opinion on it, unless he was a wide receiver as well. How funny that he talks smack too right after his Cowgirls got demolished on Monday night.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    It's their opinion, they have the right to say what they want. But I guarantee you if Tiki was on the Cowboys saying that, Irvin would have a different input and so would Jackson. I for one, think its great that Tiki is doing what he is doing. He wants to do what he feels is right for him, and like he has said he's considered retiring for years now. I think running back is a LOT more grueling than wide receiver in my opinion, so I think Irvin (whether we like it or not will have a voice...) shouldn't even have an opinion on it, unless he was a wide receiver as well. How funny that he talks smack too right after his Cowgirls got demolished on Monday night.
    Jackson played for the broncos, I doubt he cares anything about the cowboys, and what micheal was saying was that if he was a young player and Tiki came to him telling him to get pumped up he would not be able to use that to pump himself up because Tiki is leaving or essiantially quitting.

He did not come out and just say Tiki's a quitter and no 1 on his team will like him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Jackson played for the broncos, I doubt he cares anything about the cowboys, and what micheal was saying was that if he was a young player and Tiki came to him telling him to get pumped up he would not be able to use that to pump himself up because Tiki is leaving or essiantially quitting.

He did not come out and just say Tiki's a quitter and no 1 on his team will like him anymore.
    Quitting and retiring are 2 different situations.....

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Quitting and retiring are 2 different situations.....
    Alright he's 31 plays on a good team is good himself and he is leaving to do some thing else with his life?

Pronunciation: ri-'tI(-&)r
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): re·tired; re·tir·ing
    Etymology: Middle French retirer, from re- + tirer to draw
    intransitive verb
    : to withdraw from one's position or occupation : conclude one's working or professional career

Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): quit also quit·ted; quit·ting
    Etymology: Middle English quiten, quitten, from Anglo-French quiter, from quite free of, released, from Latin quietus quiet, at rest

: to depart from or out of b : to leave the company of

So what your saying is that he should play the game past when we wants too and even risk ending up like Earl Campbell so people won't call him a quitter? Is everybody who retires from a sport a quitter?

What I'm saying is he has years left in him and he is still relitively healthy and saying that to support what Irvin said he is leaving prematurly and young players might not like that.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Saying he is a quitter strikes me as such a grade school taunt. He's not pulling a Barry Sanders or worse a Ricky Williams where everybody thought they were coming back right up until the beginning of training camp. If he just up and left in the middle of camp or the middle of the season, then you could call him a quitter. For most players there isn't exactly an obvious time to retire. You can either hang around until everybody's saying you're washed up or you can leave early with questions about what could have been. And this isn't like playing on a varsity team; this is his career and pretty much his whole life style.

I agree with you goldenfleece. I mean, people are so quick to say he's retiring early, but who knows his body better? Tiki or his critics? If I'm not mistaken this is his 9th year in the league, and i'm sure he feels every bit of those 9 years when he wakes up in the morning. Hell, I played 4 years of High School football and I still hurt in the mornings sometimes because of that. Can you imagine it at the pro level?

What if his love for football has been replaced for a desire to report hard news? Should he stay just for the hell of it? Even if his heart isn't in it? Should he pull an Emmit Smith, and stay far past his prime? I applaud Tiki for knowing himself and knowing when he wants to step away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast