TheRammer Guest

Tomlinson released by Chargers

Tomlinson released by Chargers

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Tomlinson

Tomlinson played nine seasons in San Diego, but at the age of 30 and with declining numbers, Tomlinson has been anticipating his release for the past month.
    "This is a part of the business that I hate, and it's particularly hard when you're dealing with someone I consider a friend," Spanos said in a statement. "Change involving great players is never easy. I respect L.T. as much or more than any player I've ever known. And no one appreciates his contributions to this organization more than I do. That is why this is such a difficult announcement for me to make."
    Tomlinson rushed for 12,490 yards in nine seasons and rushed for 138 touchdowns during his career in San Diego. He caught 530 passes and scored 15 touchdowns through the air.
    A former first-round pick, Tomlinson rushed for only 730 yards in 14 games last season and had a 3.3-yard rushing average. He struggled on first down during the Chargers playoff loss to the New York Jets.
    Still, the Tomlinson years were some of the best in Chargers history. Tomlinson immediately established himself as a star during a rookie season in 2001 when he rushed for 1,236 yards and scored 10 touchdowns. His ability to run, make big plays and score touchdowns helped allow quarterbacks Drew Brees and Philip Rivers to develop into Pro Bowl stars.
    The Chargers reworked Tomlinson's contract last offseason to give him one more chance to re-establish himself as a top running back. He was scheduled to get a $2 million bonus in March and a $3 million base salary under the restructured contract.
    At 30, Tomlinson will have to find a new team to restart his career.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Re: Tomlinson released by Chargers

The guy will land somewhere else. He is a class act. Both on and off the field. Hopefully he will land somewhere else that needs him.
    Autumn Winds!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Before anyone gets any ideas, here's a few Tweets from Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter:

Just spoke to LaDainian Tomlinson about being released. He knew it was coming, so no surprise. Some quotes from him: (cont)
    Tomlinson says his agent will present him with options. Says he wants to play for team w a proven qb.
    L.T: "I do know that I wld have to go to a team that has (a proven) qb - a place where you know u have a chance to win becuz of the qback."
    L.T: "the main thing for me now is to try to win a championship... The next team I go to has to have a chance of winning a title."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think we all saw this one coming. Hope he lands somewhere he enjoys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

TheRammer Guest

wow you average his numbers out over his 9 seasons: 1387 rushing yards, 15 rushing touchdowns, 59 catches and 1.5 receiving touchdowns. Incredible and productive! I'm a die hard Rams fan but I'm a huge LT fan, I wish him the best and I'll miss seeing him in that charger baby blue jersey on game days... I could see him in Indy, Pittsburgh, Philly especially...

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

id hate to see it happen but im thinking maybe the Pats.

great player..should be first ballot inductee in Canton when the time comes.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Proven QB - check. In fact, we have 3 of them in Bulger, Boller, and Null. If you don't believe me check last season's footage, which proves they are all QBs.

Chance of winning a title - check. Not sure what the title will be. Could be title of 'worst team in the league' but a title nonetheless.

So, yeah... when are we gonna bring him in?

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Proven QB - check. In fact, we have 3 of them in Bulger, Boller, and Null. If you don't believe me check last season's footage, which proves they are all QBs.

Chance of winning a title - check. Not sure what the title will be. Could be title of 'worst team in the league' but a title nonetheless.

lol well never thought of em that way put ya why not? lol

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Can you imagine what a great backup for Jackson this guy would be? I almost drool at the thought of both of them on the field at the same time...SJ would have someone to step up and take some reps, and our oponnents would have to try to cover BOTH of them!!!

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Can you imagine what a great backup for Jackson this guy would be? I almost drool at the thought of both of them on the field at the same time...SJ would have someone to step up and take some reps, and our oponnents would have to try to cover BOTH of them!!!
    HOnestly I like this idea better than having a Vick, Jackson backfield...
    More versatile and obtain Brandon Marshall as our #1 receiver! Hell I think for that combo I'd vote to keep Bulger in there

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If we were talking about LaDainian Tomlinson earlier in his career, i would be drooling. But there is a reason Tomlinson has been released, and thats because he just hasnt been doing it recently. He averaged 3.3 yards per carry this past season, which isnt very good for a top back.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    id hate to see it happen but im thinking maybe the Pats.

great player..should be first ballot inductee in Canton when the time comes.
    This has Patriots written all over it!!!!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If the Saints let Bush go maybe they would pick him up for a 1 to 2 year contract.

I would rather see him there than in New England.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I hope he lands on a team I like. I would hate to see him got to WAS, living in D.C., I would never hear the end of it.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post

Its about a one in a million chance he comes to stl...

So you're telling me there's a chance!!!