r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Too Little, Too Late For T.O.

Updated: Nov. 8, 2005, 4:47 PM ET
    T.O. apologizes, but Eagles won't take him back

ESPN.com news services

Terrell Owens wants to return to the Eagles, but the team won't have him.

A contrite Owens, hoping to overturn his dismissal from the Philadelphia Eagles, on Tuesday apologized to coach Andy Reid, quarterback Donovan McNabb, the team's owner and president, and fans.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio spoke to a top Eagles official, who told Paolantonio that Owens will not be rejoining the team. The official added that even if Owens' suspension is not upheld by an arbitrator, Owens will still not play for the Eagles this season.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Owens was making a public apology in hopes of returning to the Eagles immediately.

"We hope he plays again for the Philadelphia Eagles," Rosenhaus said.

"I fight for what I think is right. In doing so, I alienated a lot of my fans and my teammates," Owens said, reading a statement outside his house in Moorestown, N.J., outside Philadelphia.

"It really hurts me not to be a part of this team anymore," Owens said.

Rosenhaus said Owens wants to return to the Eagles "ASAP."

Owens on Monday was told by the team not to return this season. The decision resulted from "a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time, during which Terrell had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions," Reid said.

The All-Pro wide receiver didn't play in Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games without pay. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate him for the rest of the season.

He was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback instead of McNabb.

Owens apologized specifically to Reid, McNabb, Eagles president Joe Banner, owner Jeffrey Lurie and to fans.

To McNabb, Owens said, "I apologize to him for any comments that may have been negative."

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Too Little, Too Late For T.O.

The Eagles are going to be forced to do something with him. I'm not sure, but I don't think they can suspend and deactivate him in the same year. I think the only amount of time a player can be suspended is four games. That's the max now. I think Keyshawn was deactivated for 5 games but I don't think the Eagles have that luxury.

They are either going to have to play him or release him and believe me, someone in the playoff picture will snatch him up. If there is one thing I've learned about the NFL and it's fans, they will sell their grandmother to win a Super Bowl. Both the team and the fans.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I doubt the union will be able to do much to prevent him from being deactivated. While I haven't read the CBA on this point, it seems to me that as long as the Eagles are willing to pay T.O., they don't have to let him practice or suit up.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, they could force the Eagles to either play T.O. or cut him. If they cut him, he'll be wearing the red and black of Atlanta.

This thing is getting very complicated.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, they could force the Eagles to either play T.O. or cut him.
    The union could do that? Why didn't they do it for Keyshawn?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

I don't think the union could force the Eagles to play him. If worse came to worse they could just bench him, or stick him on the practice squad LOL

But really I think T.O. is done this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's what the Eagles should do.

Suspend him for four games (already did that).

Bring him back to the team and put him on the active roster.

When the Eagles get a comfortable lead in a game, line him up at OG. If he refuses, or complains, suspend him again for insubordination.