Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Trotter returning to Phily

Trotter agrees to one-year deal with Eagles

PHILADELPHIA - Former Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter returned to the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday, agreeing to a one-year contract.

Trotter's deal, believed to be worth less than $1 million, is contingent upon his passing a physical on Thursday.

Trotter, 27, spent the last two seasons with the Washington Redskins after playing four years for the Eagles and making the Pro Bowl twice. He left Philadelphia following a bitter contract dispute in 2002, but never lived up to the seven-year, $35 million contract he received from the Redskins.

Trotter's role is uncertain. Mark Simoneau is listed as Philadelphia's starting middle linebacker, with Dhani Jones and Nate Wayne at the other two starting spots.

Trotter led Washington with 129 tackles in 16 games last season. He had 104 tackles in 12 games in 2002, before going down with a knee injury.

Trotter has 774 tackles, 10{ sacks and four forced fumbles in his six-year career.

A third-round draft choice from Stephen F. Austin in 1998, Trotter established himself as one of the premier middle linebackers in the NFL during his time in Philadelphia, going to the Pro Bowl in 2000 and 2001.

He led the Eagles in tackles from 1999-2001, including a career-best 202 in his first season as a starter in 1999. Trotter strongly protested being designated Philadelphia's franchise player after the 2001 season, and signed with the Redskins soon after the Eagles removed the tag, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Eagles, runners-up in the NFC championship the last three years, have had a busy offseason, acquiring four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens, signing three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jevon Kearse and Jones.

They also have lost cornerbacks Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor and running back Duce Staley to free agency.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Re: Trotter returning to Phily

In my opinion, this is certainly not good news for us. This is a long, long way down from the 3.5 million or so per year that he originally wanted. I agree with those who believe trotter is somewhat overated, but for one year one million dollars, how can you possibly go wrong. He adds quality vet depth if nothing else and this is bound to help them on special teams. I dont mind them paying through the nose for kearse, but when the eagles or seahawks pick up good players on the cheap, that hurts our chances.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    In my opinion, this is certainly not good news for us. This is a long, long way down from the 3.5 million or so per year that he originally wanted. I agree with those who believe trotter is somewhat overated, but for one year one million dollars, how can you possibly go wrong. He adds quality vet depth if nothing else and this is bound to help them on special teams. I dont mind them paying through the nose for kearse, but when the eagles or seahawks pick up good players on the cheap, that hurts our chances.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I argued on the other board that acquiring him was worth the expense considering last year's stats surpassed the Rams' LB corps. The salary cap was waved as an excuse for inactivity again. But when the pedal hit the metal ... $1M??? is all it took to add solid depth ??? Just another missed FO opportunity in my mind ...

general counsel Guest

There is no way to know that the front office wouldnt have signed him, we have no way of knowing if we even had a chance. I agree adarian that he was a steal for the kind of money he got, but it was his choice to go to philly.

It would be very interesting to know if we had any knowledge that this was the kind of money he wanted. If we knew it, and didnt try to act on it, i agree with you we should have made a push to try and get him

general counsel

radjohns is offline Registered User

The eagles have had a great offseason. Granted there are a couple of big "ifs" attached, for example: IF Kearse stays healthy, IF Owens doesn't prove to be a disaster to team chemistry, etc. However, they have addressed three weak areas this offseason. I wouldn't be shocked to see Simoneau move to one of the outside spots with Trotter in the middle, leaving Jones and Wayne to battle it out for the last spot, assuming that Trotter's knees are fine. Trotter obviously knows J. Johnson's system and despite not living up to the expectations (or the Ray Lewis money that he once wanted)he still put up decent numbers behind a terrible D-line in Washington. One might even argue that Tortter was a product of Johnson's system, which could be good news for Philly fans.

Adarian, I don't recall seeing any open letters to the rams FO regarding Trotter. You've lost a step.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by radjohns
    Adarian, I don't recall seeing any open letters to the rams FO regarding Trotter. You've lost a step.

A step, my mind, the chair ... it all seems to be going ... . I'm at the point that hearing me yell out loud again only makes my head hurt worse.

I'm resigned to disagreeing with how sMartz/the FO have tackled issues since sMartz has gained control. I haven't seen much point in revisiting the same issues with the same counterpoints. I'm the typical I-know-better-than-management-fan. Seau didn't turn out too healthy last year, but I have never changed my mind that LB play was the crux of the D weakness. To me it still is ... despite whether DLmen tie up blockers, yah-da, yah-da.

So beating that horse again was just too boring to do over. Maybe when the season starts and all the hopes of 2nd year players and aspiring FAs and new D schemes show promise or failure maybe that will stir some rancor.

Until then I suspect the dog will just keep running off with my helmet so the wife can keep getting in those head slaps with effect. Now that I think about it, maybe that accounts for the loss ...

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

It's definitely a good signing for the Eagles. More than likely there will be an injury for him to come in and put some time in. Plus, he knows the system already. I think we probably could have used him, but I don't know how much we could afford, we've been tight under the cap recently.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

I agree with those who believe trotter is somewhat overated, but for one year one million dollars, how can you possibly go wrong.
    We went wrong with one year one million dollars for Jason Sehorn. Let's hope the Eagles get the same bang for their buck.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    But when the pedal hit the metal ... $1M??? is all it took to add solid depth ??? Just another missed FO opportunity in my mind ...
    That's what it took for the Eagles. There's no telling if Trotter would have accepted that kind of money from St. Louis to be a back-up/special teams player, which is what he would have been on the Rams.

general counsel Guest

Nick, sehorn was not 27 years old coming off a season with 116 tackles. Also, i supported the sehorn signing and wont second guess after the fact despite what ultimately happened. Sehorn broke his foot in preseason and was never quite right. That was not foreseable.

general counsel

Nick, sehorn was not 27 years old coming off a season with 116 tackles. Also, i supported the sehorn signing and wont second guess after the fact despite what ultimately happened. Sehorn broke his foot in preseason and was never quite right. That was not foreseable.

general counsel
    I know, just givin' ya crap. :tongue:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

I thought from Day 1 the Sehorn signing was insane. But, I think Trotter should be great.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions