Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Two teams interested in Ogunleye

Two teams interested in Ogunleye
    By Alex Marvez
    Staff writer
    Posted June 21 2004

Two teams seeking to upgrade their pass rush have an interest in trading for Adewale Ogunleye if the Dolphins place the Pro Bowl defensive end on the trading block.

An NFL source said Sunday that Washington is "definitely" curious about acquiring Ogunleye, who is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Florida Times-Union reported last week that Jacksonville also is closely monitoring the situation.

The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye this offseason, but that could change if an impressive offer is made, especially in light of Ogunleye being unsigned and no contract agreement imminent.

Chicago had shown interest in Ogunleye before April's NFL Draft, but the Bears were unwilling to part with the first- and third-round picks. The NFL deadline then passed for teams to sign Ogunleye to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, giving the Dolphins his exclusive rights for the 2004 season.

Ogunleye couldn't be traded until re-signing with the Dolphins.

He would likely refuse to sign under a trade scenario unless a suitor was willing to offer a multi-year contract with an eight-digit signing bonus.

"There's nothing new with negotiations but we're keeping an optimistic approach," agent Drew Rosenhaus said Sunday night.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: Two teams interested in Ogunleye

Redskins trying to get Ogunleye
    By Jody Foldesy
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins might get a premier pass-rusher after all.

Nearly four months after bowing out of the chase for Jevon Kearse, the former Tennessee Titans star who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles, the Redskins are showing interest in another of the NFL's top defensive ends — the Miami Dolphins' Adewale Ogunleye.

A league source said yesterday Washington offered a first-round pick to Miami for Ogunleye, who is mired in a contract dispute and is threatening to skip the first half of the season. The source said the Dolphins rebuffed Washington but might change their minds as the regular season approaches.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, however, played down any interest in Ogunleye and specifically denied an offer was made.

"I think anybody in the league would have interest in him," Gibbs said. "There's nothing to it. They're not going to let that guy go. I wouldn't if I were them."

Although a deal appears to be a long shot, Washington has a track record of ponying up draft picks and huge signing bonuses to make such swaps occur. Already this offseason, the Redskins have traded for two Pro Bowl players, quarterback Mark Brunell and running back Clinton Portis.

Ogunleye, 26, joined Portis at the Pro Bowl last season after leading the AFC in sacks (15). Previously overshadowed by teammate Jason Taylor, Ogunleye edged out Taylor (13 sacks) and contributed to the league's third-best unit in terms of sacks.

Washington, meanwhile, struggled badly rushing the passer in 2003. Now-departed linebacker Jessie Armstead led the club with 6˝ sacks as the defense finished 25th in total yardage.

The Redskins believe they boosted their pass rush in March by signing defensive end Phillip Daniels and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin. However, Daniels and Griffin combined for just 3˝ sacks last season with the Chicago Bears and New York Giants, respectively.

Currently, much of Washington's pass rush is expected to come from outside linebackers LaVar Arrington and Marcus Washington. Arrington led all NFL linebackers with 11 sacks in 2002, though he didn't relish playing from a three-point stance, while Washington recorded 18 sacks in four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

Word of the Redskins' offer followed a report in yesterday's South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the Redskins are "definitely" interested in Ogunleye.

Redskins officials, though, deny there have been any serious internal discussions about Ogunleye, saying the Dolphins haven't even intimated he would be available via trade. But there is speculation Miami might be willing to deal if it becomes convinced Ogunleye is serious about sitting out much of this season.

At issue in Ogunleye's squabble is his status as a restricted free agent. The Dolphins tendered him at the highest level — a one-year, $1.824 million offer that brings first- and third-round compensation if the player goes to another club — severely crimping his market activity. Ogunleye is seeking a long-term contract with a signing bonus on par with Kearse ($16 million) or the Green Bay Packers' Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila ($11 million).

The period for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets with other NFL clubs ended in April. Last week Miami exercised its right under the collective bargaining agreement and reduced Ogunleye's offer from $1.824 million to the fourth-year minimum of $455,000. Agent Drew Rosenhaus dismissed the move, saying Ogunleye never had any intention of signing a one-year deal.

Now Ogunleye intends to sit out the first half of this season, signing his offer sheet after seven games, just in time to accrue a year toward unrestricted free agency. He then would hit the market next spring, free to sign with any team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Two teams seeking to upgrade their pass rush have an interest in trading for Adewale Ogunleye if the Dolphins place the Pro Bowl defensive end on the trading block.

An NFL source said Sunday that Washington is "definitely" curious about acquiring Ogunleye, who is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Florida Times-Union reported last week that Jacksonville also is closely monitoring the situation.

The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye this offseason, but that could change if an impressive offer is made, especially in light of Ogunleye being unsigned and no contract agreement imminent.

Chicago had shown interest in Ogunleye before April's NFL Draft, but the Bears were unwilling to part with the first- and third-round picks. The NFL deadline then passed for teams to sign Ogunleye to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, giving the Dolphins his exclusive rights for the 2004 season.

First off, has there ever been a free agent that Snyder and the DC money machine have not been interested in?

Second, I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this guy as being worth the effort. We would have to sell the farm and mortgage the barn to get and then sign this guy. If Hargrove pans out and Flowers and B. Fisher play to potential, the liability would be greater than the asset acquired, in my opinion. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I say we even pass on taking a run at this guy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    First off, has there ever been a free agent that Snyder and the DC money machine have not been interested in?

Second, I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this guy as being worth the effort. We would have to sell the farm and mortgage the barn to get and then sign this guy. If Hargrove pans out and Flowers and B. Fisher play to potential, the liability would be greater than the asset acquired, in my opinion. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I say we even pass on taking a run at this guy.
    I think he's certainly benefitted from playing on the same line as Jason Taylor, and I question how well he'd do on a weak line where he's one of if not the only threat to the quarterback. Paired up with someone like Leonard Little, I think Ogunleye would be productive, but it's questionable how long the Rams would actually have that pairing. Then we'd still be forced to hope someone like Hargrove or Fisher plays well and can make a suitable pair with Ogunleye.

I'd get into a bidding war with him next season if he hits UFA, but as of now, I'd keep the first rounder and add some more youth to this team next April.

general counsel Guest

Personally, i hope he stays with the dolphins sits out the first seven games of the season. That way he will miss the rams game. Could be a long year for the fish if they lose him for the first seven games and Ricky winds up on the suspended list for his recent alleged positive drug test. Playing the dolphins without williams and ogunleye would certainly enhance our chances of success in that tough road game.

ramming speed to all,

general counsel