r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Umpire Who Allegedly Swore At Trent Williams Had Been Admonished Before

Posted November 18, 2013

Umpire who allegedly swore at Trent Williams had been admonished before

By Doug Farrar
    SI.com

After the Washington Redskins’ 24-16 Sunday loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field, Washington left tackle Trent Williams relayed to the media that he had been verbally abused by umpire Roy Ellison during the game.

“When you have a ref come up to while you’re at the line about to run a play and call you, excuse my language, but a ‘garbage-a– disrespectful motherf—–,’ ” said Williams. “To me this is a player’s league. I just don’t think there’s no room for you to have to take that from the team and the refs. I think it’s very unprofessional and it sucks. I’m at a loss for words. You never expect that as a player going into a game to have to beef with the refs also.”

At that point in the locker room, Washington receiver Pierre Garcon told Williams to stop talking about the alleged incident before he got fined. Williams’ response was that he hoped Ellison, who he identified by his uniform number (81) would be fined as well.

Guard Kory Lichtensteiger backed Williams’ story, and said that he was miked up for the game. If Lichtensteiger’s microphone has audio that confirms the incident, Ellison could obviously be in a lot of hot water. Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post laid out what could be the play in question, late in the second quarter. After an Alfred Morris fumble was overturned on review with 3:51 left in the first half, the broadcast feed shows Ellison walking by Williams and saying something that caused Williams (71), tight end Niles Paul (84), and quarterback Robert Griffin III (10) to turn and look at him. Griffin turned to look as Williams and Paul kept staring at Ellison.

“I’ve never heard anything like that before in my life,” Lichtensteiger said. “I don’t know what it was, but that guy came out with some kind of vendetta. I don’t have a lot else to say, but I heard that comment.”

The NFL said that it would look into the incident, of course. But on Monday’s FOX Football Daily show, former NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira said that he had talked with Ellison about this specific problem before.

“What concerns me about this is I sat in the same chair that Dean Blandino, the Vice President of Officiating, is sitting in right now, with the same official, Roy Ellison, who years ago allegedly shouted and swore at players, and it was a big issue that I had to deal with,” Pereira said (via Pro Football Talk). “I actually had to talk with him in the office to make sure that none of this was going on. So the fact that it has happened twice now with the same individual has to concern the league, and I know they are taking a strong look at this.”

Pereira said that because there was no audio of the previous profanity, no action was taken against Ellison.

“When I had to deal with it, there was no proof, so it was a he said, she said. But something happened. And we did have a long conversation, Roy and I did, that we should never act like this as a football official on the field. And I said to him, ‘I don’t ever want to hear about this again.’”

Ellison, one of the NFL’s few full-time officials, has been an umpire in the league since 2003. If Pereira, who generally excused his officials’ mistakes to a fault when he was the league, is willing to come out with this story publicly, one wonders what kind of future Ellison has in pro football.

During his Monday press conference, Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan recalled one other incident he could remember in which a game official engaged in language toward a player that could be considered profane or abusive.

“We had a few players that were involved with this one so it’s a little bit unprecedented. One of our players – they [wore a microphone] and we’ll find out if the NFL has any information on that. But I feel very strongly about the words that were used to our players because you have a number of players that said they heard it. So I’m disappointed in what had happened but that’s probably all I can discuss at this point.”

Re: Umpire Who Allegedly Swore At Trent Williams Had Been Admonished Before

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. I have no problem with an official telling a whining player to shut the hell up, but when the language becomes seemingly personal and abusive, biased calls could be the next step.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. I have no problem with an official telling a whining player to shut the hell up, but when the language becomes seemingly personal and abusive, biased calls could be the next step.
    Could be the next step???? Based on what I have seen (league wide, not just RAMS games) the last few years, they passed that step about 15 years ago.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Could be the next step???? Based on what I have seen (league wide, not just RAMS games) the last few years, they passed that step about 15 years ago.
    My point was that an official who has enough animosity towards a player to walk over and curse him out DURING a play, could very easily carry that anger further, by making an overtly biased call against that player or team.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    if you've seen pictures from the usc vs stanford game this past saturday...ho boy those are some biased calls....stanford losing basically cost the pac-12 a second team in a BCS bowl and a half a million dollars or something to each school...adds up, especially the whole game in general

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's been suspended one game.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He's been suspended one game.
    He should be barred from officiating any more games.

Of course, I don't expect anything that resembles integrity from the NFL these days. (

gap

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Refs shouldn't really have any influence how a game turns out. But they do...non calls, poor calls, mistakes in the rules...etc....etc. Thing is the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business with college football not that far behind.

Just one game can change the course of a team's season. Granted refs are human and prone to mistakes like the lest of us, but considering what is at stake there has to be a very high degree of accountability and if need be a "fail safe" system to over rule mistakes and correct missed calls. Right now almost all the responsibility is place entirely on the players.

One rule I'd love to see is "Un-sportsman conducted" called on players who try and game the refs to throw a flag--I just hate that.