Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Union complaints prompt cancellation of Raiders workouts

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program Friday after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold next week's scheduled offseason activities, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp on Wednesday under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had just one season of NFL training camp experience as an assistant in Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp opens July 27 in Napa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it funny how it's always the bad teams that complain that their practices are too hard?

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Union complaints prompt cancellation of Raiders workouts

Vermeil rode this team hardcore in 97-98 in training camps. He was an old school guy that just wore them out each practice. Players complained alot in in the 99 offseason he toned the practices down alot and actually cut them in half and we can see what happened. Tired players will never help.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Does anyone remember the speech Kiffin gave when he inherited that group of losers. He said he was going to work them so hard in practice that would think that games were easy. His rah-rah stuff won't get it in the NFL. Today's players are too pampered and won't respond to the high-intensity workouts and sideline college stuff. I figured Moss would be the first to complain, but since he's gone, I guess someone else blew the whistle on Kiffin. I would think that the Oakland Raiders would welcome a tough camp, given their pathetic performances in the past, oh, three years.

...and don't give me the "union' complained, and not a player. You know one of their prima-donna's made a phone call to their buddy, and former Raider, Mr. Upshaw.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So you are the worst team in the entire league, entering a new season. How do you start it off?............By pulling a Canis Femalas over tough practices. Sad.

On another note.....
    Players complained alot in in the 99 offseason he toned the practices down alot and actually cut them in half and we can see what happened.
    That, plus.......Mike Martz, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Torry Holt, and Mike Martz.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Let's see, Choaktown brings in a tough, no-nonsense coach to whip things into shape and at the first sign of a little discipline and a stab at a "commitment to excellence", someone goes crying to the NFLPU. Not a good sign for Kiffen. This team is going nowhere fast. The Faiders once again live up to their name.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Maybe Kiffen was trying to keep his guys tired enough that they stayed out of jail (See Bengals)?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Let's see, Choaktown brings in a tough, no-nonsense coach to whip things into shape and at the first sign of a little discipline and a stab at a "commitment to excellence", someone goes crying to the NFLPU. Not a good sign for Kiffen. This team is going nowhere fast. The Faiders once again live up to their name.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. "Faiders" are just that Faiders.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Maybe Kiffen was trying to keep his guys tired enough that they stayed out of jail (See Bengals)?
    Sounds more like they need some jail time to rest.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Stuff like this pisses me off. You don't get the right to complain about a workout considering your job is to be a professional athlete. The head coach should be able to work you as hard as he feels like. I mean if any of us went to our union because our work load was too much, you can bet that our *** would be out the door in a split second.

These guys have it easy. They are all pampered and want it easy. They all want to win but no one is putting in the time or the effort to win. I hate these spoiled pampered players. We need to get back to the times when it was you practicted till you were about to collapse since your so tired, then you practiced some more.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Stuff like this pisses me off. You don't get the right to complain about a workout considering your job is to be a professional athlete. The head coach should be able to work you as hard as he feels like. I mean if any of us went to our union because our work load was too much, you can bet that our *** would be out the door in a split second.

These guys have it easy. They are all pampered and want it easy. They all want to win but no one is putting in the time or the effort to win. I hate these spoiled pampered players. We need to get back to the times when it was you practicted till you were about to collapse since your so tired, then you practiced some more.
    I think those times ended when Viking tackle Korey Stringer died of heat stroke after collapsing during a pre-season practice. Although Stringer's situation was well out of the ordinary and under extreme conditions, the league obviously had to make some drastic changes to address the death of a player. That said, for the Faiders to complain about "player aggresiveness" as a danger during practice is taking things too far IMO, especially considering their history and the "Faider (thug) mentality" they love to brag about.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

This is why they're 2-14, this is why they'll stay 2-14. Talent doesn't win in this league as much as hard work does. Lane Kiffen is trying to make an impression with the team and he gets vetoed. That's crap too. Let the teams practice. The Raiders are too tough, the Jets are getting to physical. It's football. The league is becoming a bunch of pussys. You can't touch a quarterback now, the WRs can't be hit... I've seen ice skaters tougher than that.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 1st Overall Draft Pick in 2008.