Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As usual, Joe Horn doesn't get it, while Ernie Conwell does.

Joe Horn is angry that the league "patronized" the Saints by calling their game in New York a "home game."

Who cares?

Of all the problems arising from the Hurricane Katrina tragedy, the plight of the Saints is so comparatively unimportant that it shouldn't even be mentioned. And, while Horn has done his share of helping try to raise the spirit of the evacuees, he needs to learn a little discretion when a microphone is in his vicinity.

What you should have said, Joe, is "we look forward to the day when we can return to playing in the city of New Orleans before its great citizens."

Meanwhile, teammate Ernie Conwell, the team representative, advised front office that the players decided to turn down an offer to divide approximately $500,000 between the players to compensate them for their relocation expenses as the team makes San Antonio its temporary home. Instead, the money was, at Conwell's suggestion, divided among the team's staff (who earn a fraction of the league minimum).

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: As usual, Joe Horn doesn't get it, while Ernie Conwell does.

Who cares?

Then cancel all the games !!

They did that after 9/11.

This time NYC gets an extra home game. Why is that right?

Cancel the games if the NFL needs to take a backseat to this natural disaster. Until then, life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Who cares?

Then cancel all the games !!

They did that after 9/11.

This time NYC gets an extra home game. Why is that right?

Cancel the games if the NFL needs to take a backseat to this natural disaster. Until then, life goes on.

Huh? Do you agree with me or disagree with me? Or did you just miss my point?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Huh? Do you agree with me or disagree with me? Or did you just miss my point?
    I understand your point. I think that some people handle emotional things differently than others. Haslett was upset after the game as well. I am sure the frustration is at a high level for many in the Saints organization. They have all been through some trying times with more to come.

I somewhat agree with Horn and Haslett. It seemed rather political and patronizing to give NY an extra home game and yet call it the Saints home game. The ABC network still carried their regularly scheduled game and moved the Saints-Giants game to their affiliate, which is a pay to view network.

You missed my point.

Let me illustrate.

When Hurricane Katrina came through South Florida as a category 1 storm, it split a tree in front of my house and I had to spend half a day chopping it up and moving off my driveway.

Had the storm then gone out to sea and dissipated, perhaps I could go around complaining about how the storm effected me.

However, given what the storm later did to Louisiana and Mississippi, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to complain about a little tree damage.

Likewise, in light of the scope of the tragedy, it is entirely inappropriate for Joe Horn or Jim Haslett to speak out and grab headlines (even if only on the sports pages) complaining how the storm has impacted their prospects in what is A GAME!

No, I just look at it differently than you do.

Like I said, cancel all the games or life goes on. Like it or not many headlines are being written on how this storm has impacted the prospects of those who were not directly affected.

Has the league's response been entirely appropriate, in wake of the tragedy, to carry on with A GAME?

What could have been the harm in playing at a neutral site, once the decision had been made to carry on with A GAME?

There was no reason to cancel the game.

But Joe Horn should have said, "Yeah, we really wish we were playing home in New Orleans, but our problems mean nothing compared to the many who have had their lives uprooted in this horrible tragedy."

He could have said that, but I don't agree that he SHOULD have said that.

I don't see any reason for him to patronize his own true feelings just because there has been a huricane. He had his life uprooted by this natural disaster as well.

I agree with him because I think the NFL made the wrong decision about playing the game at Giants Stadium. I'm not going to hide my feelings about this just because there was a huricane. Being outspoken about your true feelings, for a decision you did not make, does not necessarily diminish your feelings for those experiencing hardships.

The NFL opened the door to carry on by not canceling games.

The NFL: We are deeply saddened by the tragedy in the Gulf region, but the games must go on !! There is money to be made and the prospects of those who were not directly affected are at stake.

Yes, let's all express every feeling we have at every moment we have them. To Hell with discretion, tact and perspective.

Yes, indeed !!

Shame on us for talking football during the aftermath of Katrina, while in the wake of Rita !!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

As much as I dislike Joe Horn, I think he was completely justified in questioning the motives of the NFL. He was speaking as a football player on a football team that was affected by having to play a "home" game in NY. When the Chargers could not play in San Diego because of fires, they didn't have to play a "home" game in Miami. The solution was a neutral site and I think the Saint game should have been handled the same way.

If Joe Horn was specifically commenting on Katrina, that would be one thing, but he was speaking after a football game about the circumstances of that game. As far as being "patronized", he is absolutely right. Wearing home jerseys and having "Saints" painted in the endzone of your opponents Stadium is definitely not a "home" game. It was one of the Giants nine home games plain and simple.

jkramsfan Guest

Lets Not Forget The Point You Made About Ernie Conwell, Hes An All Around Good Guy,i For Miss Him Being On The Rams.and Joe Horn Well Hes Joe Horn,hes Always Been A Jerk So Why Should Anyone Be Surprized.

psycho9985 Guest

If Tagliabue would have let the Saints play in San Antonio like the Saints wanted too alot of this crap would have Taken a different tune.They still would have been the New Olean Saint.Close to home like they wanted
    A stadium Easier to use.
    Still able to garner a hefty Saints fans attendance.LSU is a good place.Only because its in LA,But with the current situation More fans could attend San Antonio,Only because of the displacement factor.I think this would have been more of a boon to the team Then LSU.From what I hear it wont be available for every home game.Now Rita. Here we go again.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Avenger doesn't get it, while Joe Horn and HAslett & Ernie Conwell does.

Avenger ,

You are dead wrong on this one. Sorry about your tree but I am living in Little Rock hotel working on a new job and have been to my home but twice in four or five weeks. We had tree damage too but considering how much time you spend on this site a little exercise outdoors was probably good for your Spiral Horn efforts which I enjoy. We also lost our home/camp in the Waveland Mississippi area where said city was practically erased off the map. But all of that is nothing in comparison to the poor people that lost everything and have no resources.

A home game in Houston with all the evacuues and the recently transplanted Orleanians would have been the right to place play especially on a Monday nite.

LSU is an obvious place to play than San Antonio since Baton Rouge and nearby Lafayette have most of the displaced citizens and fans. BR will help the Saints organization improve their relationship with the fans as it may attract the LSU fans who come from all around the region to fill up the 92,000 seat Death Valley stadium on Saturday nites.

You may know Florida but you have no clue about LA and MS and what they are going thru right now. The league clearly could have handled it better per Ferter's words and the other posters have stated.

Joe Horn gets it, you, my fellow clannie missed the mark on this one completely.

Football is a great release and escape for many people affected by k**trina and rita and the game should have been in Texas or Shreveport period.

I wonder what the headlines would have been if local boy Eli and his gaints showed up in BR or Shreveport or even Texas to play that game. I bet the PR for the NFL would gone thru the roof. But that is another untold story that the potentate from the nfl failed to grasp with you.

FLO

PS the Tennessee Volunteers are playing on Monday nite and are flying in and out on the same day. Would it have been redeeming for the NFL to be displaced or inconvenienced for a day like the near million of us have been for a month? You absolutely do not get it!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Why did you post this twice? Were you that eager to demonstrate your failure to comprehend my point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast