Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: As usual, Joe Horn doesn't get it, while Ernie Conwell does.

Um... sorry... but your ignorance is showing...

Originally Posted by fearlessone
    Avenger ,

You are dead wrong on this one. Sorry about your tree but I am living in Little Rock hotel working on a new job and have been to my home but twice in four or five weeks. We had tree damage too but considering how much time you spend on this site a little exercise outdoors was probably good for your Spiral Horn efforts which I enjoy. We also lost our home/camp in the Waveland Mississippi area where said city was practically erased off the map. But all of that is nothing in comparison to the poor people that lost everything and have no resources.

I guess you didn't actually read my post. I said that it would be inappropriate for me to complain about my tree given what has happened to others. As for the crack about my needing exercise... I'll just take the high road and leave that one alone.

A home game in Houston with all the evacuues and the recently transplanted Orleanians would have been the right to place play especially on a Monday nite.
    Fine. I don't disagree with that. But my point was not that New York was the best place for the game.

LSU is an obvious place to play than San Antonio since Baton Rouge and nearby Lafayette have most of the displaced citizens and fans. BR will help the Saints organization improve their relationship with the fans as it may attract the LSU fans who come from all around the region to fill up the 92,000 seat Death Valley stadium on Saturday nites.
    Again, I don't disagree - but that has nothing to do with my point.

You may know Florida but you have no clue about LA and MS and what they are going thru right now.
    Not entirely true. I lived in South Miami in 1992 when a little storm called Andrew came through. Also, my father just returned from working in field hospitals in the Gulf region, so I have had some opportunity to hear first hand accounts of what has occurred there.

The league clearly could have handled it better per Ferter's words and the other posters have stated.
    Boy, you guys need to read slower. Once again, I NEVER SAID THE LEAGUE HANDLED THE SITUATION CORRECTLY. What I said is that, even though the league may have screwed the Saints, Joe Horn should still have kept his mouth shut because complaining about where a football team plays is simply not appropriate when others have been impacted by the storm in much more serious ways.

Joe Horn gets it, you, my fellow clannie missed the mark on this one completely.
    Joe Horn doesn't get it, and my fellow Clannies have a distinct problem with reading comprehension.

On a related note, I wonder if any of you actually read the comments by Horn (along with Haslett and Aaron Brooks).

They weren't complaining about how playing in New York impacted the people of New Orleans.

They were complaining that - despite the fact that the game was supposed to be a "home" game - there were signs that read "Go Giants" and that they had to use silent counts because they couldn't hear above the crowd cheering for the Giants.

Valid complaints? Sure.

Appropriate to make those complaints when many of their fans are homeless? (and, the game in question raised quite a bit of money for relief efforts). No way.

They were upset because they lost the game. That's the bottom line.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure what harm is caused or who is slighted by Joe Horn's comments. You are entitled to your opinion Av, but so is FLO. He is an actual displaced citizen directly affected by Katrina and if he doesn't have a problem with Horn's comments, why should you? My guess is most affected Saint fans also have no problem with the comments.

Whatever.

Joe Horn is, as usual, thinking of Joe Horn

Ernie Conwell was thinking of others.

That's it.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Whatever.

Joe Horn is, as usual, thinking of Joe Horn

Ernie Conwell was thinking of others.

That's it.
    Contrary to what you read in the media, Joe Horn is a devoted father and family person from what I observe at the school our children HAD attended.

Maybe, you had a temporary lapse of your self acknowledged intelligence and could not read between the lines as maybe he was frustrated that the NFL made them play so far away on their first home game when they the saints org are desperately trying to return a semblance of normalacy for their families. This is what you do not get.

The NFL could have staged many fund raising events during the whole season and could request its various sponsors to contribute as well ... during the whole season.

Your are not privy to the deeds that Joe Horn and countless other Saints have done for their LA communities. I guess the stories that reach you are the ones when the MAnnings flew in AFTER the Joe Horns and other NFL and celebrities were already at ground zero.

Your comment, "I guess you didn't actually read my post. I said that it would be inappropriate for me to complain about my tree given what has happened to others. As for the crack about my needing exercise... I'll just take the high road and leave that one alone."

I took the high road too as my post indicated. It was inappropriate that you did mention your tree which the mere casual mention of your inconvenience was the icing.

Days before Conwell's comments, Joe Horn had suggested the same. He also led a drive amongst the organization to pay their org's supporting staff, like the cafeteria personell, etc. a huge bonus after the end of the season last year.

This comment: "Not entirely true. I lived in South Miami in 1992 when a little storm called Andrew came through. Also, my father just returned from working in field hospitals in the Gulf region, so I have had some opportunity to hear first hand accounts of what has occurred there." is misleading as to what extent it impacted your personal life as I bet you were in LAw School at the time and no hint any life transformation.

Well I lived in Santa Barbara during the 1990 fire that consumed 700 homes including my parents. Did you lose everything and every photo your family had?

After Andrew, did you lose everything you owned?, Our home in New Orleans suffered little damage but did you lose your job? were you told by your local authorities to start fresh from zero and be prepared to live in another community for 6 months to a year? Did you rush and work your ass off losing thousands of $$$ in income to attempt to restore normalcy for your five year old and wife? Were you then told by said authorities to return back to N O after that hectic pace to start over? Then to be told not yet? Take a job out of State away from your family so you can get back on track financially? Then call your wife to re-evacuate from Lafayette, LA so your wife and son do not have to go through the same BS again while you wish you could hurry home, I mean to my place of refuge, to assist them but you can't because you just started a new job?

Is that what your father learned and shared with you during HIS gracious efforts at the Gulf Coast hospitals. Because this is what is happening to thousands of displaced people not just me. Did you know or realize that Joe Horn is in the same group like your neighbors during Andrew? Does he not deserve to be frustrated and given a break from a bully like you.

That is why your ignorant comments offend me.

I lived in New Orleans and I hate to burst your bubble but Joe Horn has done more in our community than that good ol' Christian Boy, Ernie Conwell, has ever done. In fact he has been criticized by the local media, etc. for his LACK of effort here which was contrary to his comments when he signed on with the Saints.

Counselor you need to prepare a little better next time.

Again, I am sorry for the damage to your tree and your personal inconvenience caused by KAtrina.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

You are obviously upset over your personal situation and, as a result, you continue to misconstrue and misrepresent my post.

Rather than once again trying to clarify this for you, I'm simply closing the thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12