Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jmk321 is offline Registered User

Re: Vick Reinstatement 2009?

Whether athletes like it or not they are going to be role models to some so they should have some responsibility. They owe it to the fans and the league to show some maturity considering the rediculous amount of money they are being paid.

I would also like to see Michael Vick back in the league. A lot of teams are in need of good Quarterback and Vick could bring some publicity and excitement to your team that most other quarterbacks couldn't.

thoey is offline Registered User

Sheesh, some of you make him out to be the next coming of Joe Montana. First and foremost, the guy is a jerk that should never be allowed to be in the spotlight again. He couldn't handle the pressure of being a role model then and I am sure he can't do it now.

But second, he wasn't that good of a QB. Yes, he might be a decent wildcat option QB, but just like the GSOT, someone will figure out how to stop that (hello Baltimore) and it too shall pass.

Now, as far as he did the crime, he paid his time, yes, he should be allowed to rejoin the NFL. I would not want him on my team. As an owner I would take a flyer with him for a low, short term contract, but it would not be as a QB, but maybe as a WR or "not every down" RB.
    This space for rent...

A-Web is offline Registered User

I cannot see him ending up at any other position. And the Wildcat thought is a pretty Brill(iant) idea. There are a few disadvantages to the wildcat however. The one seems to be that it eliminates a player from the field most often. Seemingly the QB on most teams gets isolated and or off the field. If Vick were to participate, you would still have that extra body. As long as you have a decent HB to man that passer/runner slot in the Wildcat though, you could run it all day, every play, and it wouldn't be any different than a normal offense.

Just because an offense lines up with a QB behind the center doesn't mean they're going to pass, or run, or play action, they have to do something, and you don't know what it'll be. The wildcat will confuse defenses with ball redirection, but other than that, it still keeps you guessing on pass or run.

I think someone should get ahold of Atwaan Randel El, and Vick, and a hefty back like Derrick Ward, and you have an offense to reckon with. Move EL to the backfield, and he can convert to a Wildcat Passer/ Runner and have Ward as a pass/ run option and Vick as a Pass/ Run option.

Ever seen a flea flicker? Yes, because you've watched Arizona this playoff. Ever seen Randel El hand off or throw it to Mike Vick, and then Vick turn around from the outside line and throw a second pass from a drastically different angle? From the sideline you can get some amazing angles that the defense isn't usually used to defending from, not to mention, if Vick gets the ball on the outside, he can take off, or let it fly. Imagine being a linebacker in that situation. "Do I rush him for the tackle? Or do I drop back and try to cover somebody?" Oh woops, I rushed him, and he let a 15 yard pass fly right over my head as I came in, or...Oh woops, I dropped back to cover the TE coming across the middle, and then Vick ran up the field for a 15 yard gain. Oh the many options that you have...

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Vick was an example, yes what he did was wrong, and I'm an avid Pit Lover. I think they're the most loyal and docile dogs ever. I've owned 4, and they were great with my Kids. Vick has served his time and payed for his indiscretions, in more way than one. He should be allowed to play.

Michael Vick is the last of the four co-defendants of the Bad Newz Kennels dogfighting ring still in federal prison.
    Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips are no longer be held in federal prison. Peace, who had a scheduled release date of Jan. 6 has been released. Phillips, who had a scheduled release date of Feb. 22, is listed as in transit by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Tony Taylor, the first of the four to accept a plea deal, was released last year.

Vick remains in Leavenworth, Kan. His scheduled release date on his 23-month sentence is July 20. He was eligible to enter a halfway house to serve up to the final six months of his term on Jan. 20.
    Last week, one of Vick’s attorneys in his bankruptcy case said he expected Vick to be released to a halfway house “any day now.”

-Just an update on things going on. Apparantly we should expect him to be out of prison pretty soon. I don't think it would make sense for him to be stuck there for the remainder if the other 3 co-defendants weren't forced to. Co-defendant meaning they were all tried on the same offenses. Usually 3 times would be considered creating a precedent, and I think they basically HAVE to let him go to the halfway house, which would be ideal for him if he was going to begin any sort of personal training.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP)—Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Friday the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Michael Vick to another team.
    In an interview that appeared on the team’s Web site, Dimitroff said, “With regards to Michael Vick, we’ve decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club.”
    Vick is currently in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July.
    Vick has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with another possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.
    “We feel a trade is the best move for the Falcons, and it’s also in the best interest for Michael,” Dimitroff said. “This has been a really unique situation from a variety of standpoints and because we will actively be involved in a trade situation, I don’t envision our organization speaking any more about this subject publicly until it’s reached a resolution.”

He said the Falcons have had no discussions with other teams because Vick is under suspension by the NFL, “but we think some teams might be interested in exploring a trade.”
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello Friday reiterated commissioner Roger Goodell’s statement when he suspended Vick on Aug. 24 2007 that he will review Vick’s status when legal proceedings are done.
    Vick’s attorneys did not immediately return e-mail or telephone messages left at their offices.
    Dimitroff said if the Falcons are unable to complete a trade, they will re-evaluate. He said a decision would be made that is in the best interest of the team.
    The Falcons made a move last year for a quarterback, taking Boston College’s Matt Ryan as their first round draft choice. He was last year’s rookie of the year after leading the Falcons to the playoffs.

pikers Guest

This is going to sound worse than I mean it to, but Vick would be accepted in Detroit given the ethnographic breakdown. Dog fighting in an area like that would not receive the same backlash as in San Fran, Seattle, etc for obvious reasons.

I hope he works at Mickey D's for the rest of his life, because I find it absolutely repugnant that anyone would take domesticated animals (dogs especially) and use them to kill each other. Worse are the family pets that get stolen from backyards to use as "bait" and training dogs, where the fighters learn how to kill. Anyone that thinks this is OK clearly does not need to be in a role model position of any type.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Time has lowered the flames on the VICK illegal acts. It's very sad but true and it happens more often than not.

Vick blew it, plain and simple. He knows it and we all know it.

My opinion hasn't changed one bit. The fork remains in this potato!!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He will be getting out of prison in May and will be placed on house arrest.

Under the house arrest, he would be able to be granted "Approved" visits to locations if he applies to the court. Basic things such as travel to and from training and practice and the like would be very easy to be granted. At that point, he would need to pursue Goodell and see about having his reinstatement processed. He is only going to be under the house arrest for a little while anyways, and by the playing season, he would be free of all cuffs.

This makes it interesting for teams going into the draft and finishing up the free agency for the quarterback position. If you really thought you could get a budget cut with quality and pick up Vick going into 2009 season, do you really wait and rely on reinstatement, or do you push forward and develop somewhere else?

I think what it will come down to is a team in a bad quarterback situation. Just to use an example, and not feeding off of, nor creating any rumors, say the Detroit Lions are interested in Vick.

The smart way to approach the situation would be to say, "Hey, if he gets reinstated, we can easily sign this guy up for a contract, so lets hop into the draft and pick up a QB that has potential to become our franchise QB, and maybe in a few years he will be on his feet and ready to take over."

At the worst that happens, Vick doesn't get reinstated, and you still picked up your rookie QB for the future. Now you can either start him if you feel he is qualified, or pick up a free agent that is available, like Rex Grossman, or Byron Leftwich or whomever is still on the board, and proceed the same way you would with Vick.

All I know up to this point is that this offseason has been the most interesting one I can remember, and I think based on that, the Vick train is going to land somewhere before the fall, and he will see a green field with lines on it really soon.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

if nfl doesn't reinstate him, maybe he can try the new league. once he impacts play there, more than a handful of teams might covet him.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12