Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Vick: Water bottle place to keep jewelry

C'mon just leagalize the crap already and get this overwith. Pot is gonna continue to be used by most everyone, I wish they'd just legalize it and stop with all the fuss. Poor Vick can't even get high to try and forget how crap his wr's are. And they SUCK. I feel for you buddy. I'll have one for you later!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Yeh...what TX said...I'mma innocent until proven high occifer. Can't a guy carry his thousands of dollars of jewelry in a plastic bottle instead of wearing it. It's the cool thing to do these days yo! I'm mean the logic of it screams I'm being persecuted unfairly (at least in the lone star state). Yeh...and what's up with this weed being illegal? This is the U. S. of Freakin' A. Look what's it done for Ricky's career. Man....face it. It's all about keeping the black man down. Peace...out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BigGame is offline Registered User

Wow, BigRed, you want to put on black face paint, do a little jig, and make this a full-on minstrel show?

I think tx makes a very valid point. You think anyone would search Peyton Manning's waterbottle? Tom Brady?

I also remember Ben Rothlisberger doing something pretty irresponsible and stupid last year that almost cost him his life. But by the way the media tends to glamorize "Big Ben," that was quickly forgoten.

Kellen Winslow still hasn't repaired his reputation since the "irresponsibility" of his bike crash, and remained overshadowed in 2006 dispite being one of the leagues best tight-ends.

Brett Favre was admittedly addicted to painkillers. Tom Brady left his preggo girlfriend to knock-up another. Much more serious than the consequences of any of Vick's weed smoking, or Daunte Culpepper's sex-boat fiasco. Yet the African-American guys get typecast as badguys while Brett Favre is promoted as the greatest American since John Wayne.

The point is, if you think that tx's comments about race issues in America are unfounded, you are being incredibly ignorant. White athletes are much more likely to be given a free pass or second chance, while "mistakes" for black athletes are often unfairly chalked up to some predisposed nature.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame View Post
    Wow, BigRed, you want to put on black face paint, do a little jig, and make this a full-on minstrel show?
    Son, I represent blacks before the courts on EEO cases and arbitration. There are legitimate complaints, and there are foolish ones. Vick is cheapening true discrimination, and you are as well. I'm offended by your comments, and it is you who owes me an apology. That remark in my opinion demonstrates prejudice towards me by you.

I think tx makes a very valid point. You think anyone would search Peyton Manning's water bottle? Tom Brady?
    If they acted in the same suspicious manner at the airport just before going through security, yeah...I believe they would. I've seen 88 year old white ladies body searched at the airport.

I also remember Ben Rothlisberger doing something pretty irresponsible and stupid last year that almost cost him his life. But by the way the media tends to glamorize "Big Ben," that was quickly forgotten.

Kellen Winslow still hasn't repaired his reputation since the "irresponsibility" of his bike crash, and remained overshadowed in 2006 dispute being one of the leagues best tight-ends.
    Your memory isn't all that great son. Rothlisberger was thoroughly lambasted for his motorcycle accident. In fact, the issue is still being discussed (as reported on ESPN Rothlisberger disputed his coach's assessment that his accident had something to do with his poor performance last year. EVERYBODY has criticized Ben for continuing to deny the impact that accident had. Winslow did receive criticism as well, just like any athletes in all sports who stupidly put themselves in harms way and get injured. Winslow's problem was his mouth claiming he's the best TE in the NFL after his accident without having played a down in the NFL at that point.

Brett Favre was admittedly addicted to painkillers. Tom Brady left his preggo girlfriend to knock-up another. Much more serious than the consequences of any of Vick's weed smoking, or Daunte Culpepper's sex-boat fiasco. Yet the African-American guys get typecast as badguys while Brett Favre is promoted as the greatest American since John Wayne.
    Brett Favre ADMITTED his fault. Culpepper (as like Vick), won't admit any wrong doing. Tom Brady is standing up to his responsibility to help raise the child and support it (although if he continues to father children out of wedlock, he will be harshly criticized). Let's see....one guy says Yeah, I made a mistake and this is what I'm going to do to own up to it, the other says No, I'm misquoted, I'm being persecuted, I don't need to change.

The point is, if you think that tx's comments about race issues in America are unfounded, you are being incredibly ignorant. White athletes are much more likely to be given a free pass or second chance, while "mistakes" for black athletes are often unfairly chalked up to some predisposed nature.
    Actually, I was commenting on tx's defending Vick's alibi in this case. Just like his alibi when he got caught getting herpes meds illegally. The man is full of bull. You think Vick's problems are representative of black's plight in America? You sir, are the ignorant one. I don't believe tx was trying to make that sweeping of an argument either. You can believe this or not, but I don't care what color the person's skin is, if that person claims they put their jewelry in a false bottom of a water bottle to secure the items during travel, and they are carrying it, and they dispose of it before going through screening, I'm calling that person a liar.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BRR,

First, I appoligize for offending to the level I did. Let me say that I certainly understand what you are saying about "cheapening" discrimination," and personally don't believe a word he says.

But the way you handled it with your tounge-in-cheek employment of several stereotypes held about blacks in the Good Ol' USA (ie. the use of yo, I'mma, peace out) seems to me to be slightly out of place and indicitve of tx's statements about assuming guilt. I think his point is made more valid when you consider how the media rushes to provide white, poster-boy athletes with second chances after any of their numerous slip-ups.

Look, I'm a white kid from suburban Canada, so I might not be the best one to argue the plight of African-Americans. But I'm in school for rhetoric and cultural studies at our nation's leading post-secondary institute. Learning how our perception of almost everything and everyone is shaped by ideolgical forces means that I tend to give people, especially those with a long history of cultural oppresion, the benefit of the doubt.

BRR,

But I'm in school for rhetoric and cultural studies at our nation's leading post-secondary institute.
    Which school might that be BigGame??? I'm in MUN not that I consider my school to be all that amazing, but I have the MacLean's University Rankings article here in fornt of me and I'm like to know if you have any proof of saying a comment like that?

You guys needn't argue. It's such a dumb issue. Vick's poor play may represent his "pot" addiction... so let him smoke his own ass out of the NFL. I do agree with BigGame that the black atheltes tend to get more bad press. I'm sure there are as many white NFL players who do things; get caught and nothing comes of it... we might not even hear about it!

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

I'm in school for rhetoric and cultural studies at our nation's leading post-secondary institute.
    My brother-in-law got his degree in that too. He's one of the best truck drivers I ever met.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, my whole argument is based on innocent until proven guilty FOR EACH CRIME.....not a collective witch hunt that decisions are predicated on prior convictions. I don't care if you are green, purple, orange, black, white, yellow, or mahogany....everyone in America has the collective right to jurisprudence. The media was where I was basing my argument on. The day after his "incident", there were several reporters ready to throw the book at him. When he doesn't get arrested, and no charges were filed ON THIS PARTICuLAR incident....not one of those yellow bas***** came out and retracted what they said.

And most of you think Bernie is a bad guy. He stood up for Tony LaRussa when he was arrested. He didn't condone what TL did, but he did stand up for him. That's the real Bernie, not what is portrayed on this site by most who don't like him because he dosen't concentrate on the Rams 24/7.

Give me Bernie M over everyone of those at the Atlanta Constitution who convicted Vick before he was even arrested.l

BRR,

First, I appoligize for offending to the level I did. Let me say that I certainly understand what you are saying about "cheapening" discrimination," and personally don't believe a word he says.

But the way you handled it with your tounge-in-cheek employment of several stereotypes held about blacks in the Good Ol' USA (ie. the use of yo, I'mma, peace out) seems to me to be slightly out of place and indicitve of tx's statements about assuming guilt. I think his point is made more valid when you consider how the media rushes to provide white, poster-boy athletes with second chances after any of their numerous slip-ups.
    Thanks for the apology, and all is forgiven. You do have a point about my tongue-in-cheek humor. I do push boundaries, but usually to stimulate conversation, and this is a healthy conversation. While I believe (as one who represents others in court) a person is innocent until proven guilty, there is also the legal precedent that once you've lied before, it goes toward your credibility in explaining away future incidents. Plus, the explanation doesn't sound believable.

Anyway, there is merit in everything everyone is posting here. Surely, a white guy doesn't get pulled over driving in Beverly Hills at one in the morning by the cops, but a black guy surely would be, and I don't remember any white guys being dragged by a rope behind a pick up truck in Texas. The examples are endless. Unfortunately, there are those that use the fact that they are black as an excuse or scapegoat when it suits their needs (OJ, Michael Jackson).

By the way...what happened to the alleged jewelry that he tossed in the trash can with the bottle? He doesn't seem angry that it wasn't recovered and returned to him. Just a question.

This was fascinating. Lets do it again sometime!
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-02-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Which school might that be BigGame??? I'm in MUN not that I consider my school to be all that amazing, but I have the MacLean's University Rankings article here in fornt of me and I'm like to know if you have any proof of saying a comment like that?
    I'm currently entering my final term at the University of Waterloo after spending my first two years in the University of Toronto's commerce program.

To be honest, I don't even know what MUN is, so I don't even know what to tell you about how our schools might compare in terms of "quality".

If it is the 2006 version, I beleive we slipped to second in this years MacLean's rankings you have "in fornt" of you in terms of the top comprehensive institutions, with consideration of both graduate and undergraduate programs (behind only the University of Guelph, a school that oddly enough refused to take part in the issue's ranking process.) But we were ranked number one in that category from 2003-2005, and plan to return to that spot next year with the opening of a new building for the architecture school and an expansion of the only english-speaking optomitry program in the nation.

Do I sense some mainland envy?
    Last edited by BigGame; -04-03-2007 at 03:44 AM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

vick is an idiot plain and simple.... he used it for pot plain and simple... if he was smart he would of put it in a peanut butter jar or so ive heard... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I do push boundaries, but usually to stimulate conversation, and this is a healthy conversation. While I believe (as one who represents others in court) a person is innocent until proven guilty, there is also the legal precedent that once you've lied before, it goes toward your credibility in explaining away future incidents. Plus, the explanation doesn't sound believable...

Unfortunately, there are those that use the fact that they are black as an excuse or scapegoat when it suits their needs (OJ, Michael Jackson).
    I agree with you here for sure. It is unfortunate, but I don't think it is fair to assume that is the case here. Still, I agree that the explanation leave a little to be desired.

I have a ton of minority friends and have grown-up surrounded by elements of hip-hop culture. I've been called "wigger" and been the victim of prejudice because I wear baggy clothes and a crooked hat (not to mention that I'm an admitted weed smoker and don't believe it to be any direct indication of delinquincy or ignorance as your tongue-in-cheek post suggested.)

You touched a nerve with your comments, but if, as it appears now, your comments stemed from Vick's questionable logic as opposed to his skin color, diamond rings, or doo-rag, I'm also glad we could have a reasonable and stimulating discussion.

Here's to more of the same!
    Last edited by BigGame; -04-03-2007 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Typos

To be honest, I don't even know what MUN is, so I don't even know what to tell you about how our schools might compare in terms of "quality".Do I sense some mainland envy?
    It is funny when you put "I Don't even know what MUN is" with, "do I sense mainland envy" Obviously you must know that I live on the ROCK and then there is only one UNI on the ROCK; MUN = Memorial = 5th most Comprehensive! + lowest tuition in the Country = 0 envy from me!!

If it is the 2006 version, I beleive we slipped to second in this years MacLean's rankings you have "in fornt" of you in terms of the top comprehensive institutions, with consideration of both graduate and undergraduate programs (behind only the University of Guelph, a school that oddly enough refused to take part in the issue's ranking process.) But we were ranked number one in that category from 2003-2005, and plan to return to that spot next year with the opening of a new building for the architecture school and an expansion of the only english-speaking optomitry program in the nation.
    Yeah you are rated 2nd in just about every category. Oops I'm wrong 3rd in Highest Quality.

I do have the article right in front of me. I am on my first work-term for Commerce and I am writing my work-term report based on it.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    It is funny when you put "I Don't even know what MUN is" with, "do I sense mainland envy" Obviously you must know that I live on the ROCK and then there is only one UNI on the ROCK; MUN = Memorial = 5th most Comprehensive! + lowest tuition in the Country = 0 envy from me!!
    That is pretty enticing. I've traveled down East a couple times, and personally I am envious of your beautiful scenery. The low tuition is also very enticing. But I'm happy here in Waterloo (though U of T is a very overrated school IMHO.)

Couple questions: do you pay hiugher tuition out there fr commerce? In Ontario, it is a deregulated program, so I was paying almost twice the normal tuition (though still less than half of what our Amican neighbors pay.)

Commerce is a great program if you can get through it, and there is guaranteed a nice job waiting for you at the end if you can keep your grades up: I'm only out of the program because my time at U of T really caused me to be disillusioned with the farce that the business world has become in the age of cut-throat capitalism.

Good luck with your studies dude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12