RamWraith is offline Registered User

Vikings get the sleeper of 2004

Vikings have just signed Brock Lessner. This will be an interesting signing and fun to watch.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Vikings get the sleeper of 2004

He is a physical freak, no question about it. But if the NFL was all about physicality, the best players would be those Icelandic powerlifter from the strongman competitions.

Personally, I hope he makes it. It might be fun to see that kind of transition.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The kid has a lot more than just strength.

He is and all around athlete. He has heart, determination and most important dedication. If he doesn't make it. It will be because of lack of opportunity. It might talk a couple years for him to catch on, but his potential is a hell of a lot better than 70% of the meat that is thrown around the NFL this time of year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    The kid has a lot more than just strength.

He is and all around athlete. He has heart, determination and most important dedication. If he doesn't make it. It will be because of lack of opportunity. It might talk a couple years for him to catch on, but his potential is a hell of a lot better than 70% of the meat that is thrown around the NFL this time of year.
    Don't get me wrong, the kid is obviously an athlete. And I have no reason to question his heart, determination, or dedication. He made it to the top of wrestling both the amateur sport and the professional sports entertainment. But even if with all that, I can't imagine that he would have the technique or understanding of the game required to play in the NFL. Even if he is a quick study, he would still need (as you said) a couple of years. Well in a couple of years, he's going to be, what about 28. Getting kind of old to be an NFL rookie.

But as I stated above, I'm pulling for him. I just think he's got a lot to overcome.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Lesnar turned 27 this year, I believe. Let's assume he spends a year on the practice squad or as a back-up just getting used to the feel of professional ball. By that time he's 28, arguably past his prime. Consider that he's coming off some serious injuries from an auto accident in April which forced him to postpone workouts. I just think it's too late for Lesnar.

Plus, with his attitude, it's only a matter of time before he either gets into a training camp or locker room fight or says some that's not quite PC to the media and gets his ass in trouble. According to an ESPN article, after a blonde woman came up and told him her friend Shawn thought he was good looking, Lesnar turned to a reporter and said, "I don't like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don't like gays."

It's a no lose situation for Minnesota. They could find a diamond in the rough for their poor defensive line. If not, all they have to do is cut him. I doubt his contract is anything more than a one-year minimum deal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Stephen Neal who was a champion wrestler from here in Bakersfield made the Patriots squad as an O-line man..with no college football experience...He also whipped Lesner's ass in the 1999 NCAA Heavyweight championship :tongue:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Well, I'm thinking the NFL has a little bit tougher of a steroid policy than the WWE.

Yeah, it'll be to watch until the first cut down day.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions