ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Warner to fulfill contract...

ummm.. isn't that why they call it a contract?:\

Warner plans to play out contract
    Backup QB intends to stick around through '08 season
    Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 7, 2007

FLAGSTAFF - After losing his starting job last year to Matt Leinart, quarterback Kurt Warner contemplated retiring at the end of the season.

He decided to return for another year and already has made a decision about 2008. He plans to play through that season, too, even though it likely means backing up Leinart another year.

That will carry Warner through the three-year, $15 million deal he signed with the team after the 2004 season. He's making $4 million in each of the next two years and will be 37 when the contract expires.

"That's what I want to do, play out this contract," Warner said. "And I think after that, then it will be one of those situations where we (he and his wife, Brenda) sit down and decide what's best. What's the situation? Do the Cardinals want me to stay around longer than that? Does that fit into our plans? Do I really want to go somewhere else, move the family?

"I think all of that will come into play after these next two years, but my mind-set right now is to definitely play out these next two years."
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...08.html?&wired

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Warner to fulfill contract...

He was seriously considering retirement at the end of last year. I heard the Cardinals asked him to stay, because they loved having him as a part of their organization (who wouldn't? Classy guy, helps tutor the younger folks, pretty much an assistant coach over there on the sidelines.)
    I also think the Cardinals are worried about Leinart. He got that shoulder hurt last year, and it's the same one that bothered him during college some. They know Warner still has enough to come in and play a few.

Agreed. A class act who can set an example as a player and as a man.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Agreed. A class act who can set an example as a player and as a man.
    I'm wondering if Kurt will stay in the NFL once he retires?

QB Coach or OC?

I hope so.

I know several teams are wanting him to return to be a QB coach. The Cardinals message board is all over him coming back as their QB coach, and eventually offensive coordinator.
    The experience he's had in Martz's offense will look great on his resume.

jkramsfan Guest

maybe after he's done playing he will come back to St. Louis and be the coordinator of the Greatest Show On Turf Part 3.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's nice to see Warner has finally accepted his status as a back-up. He's really one of the best back-ups in the league right now, IMO. I was rather disappointed when he came out midseason last year and mulled retirement two weeks into his benching. Week Six of the season is not the time, IMO, to start making those comments and to create a story where there shouldn't be one.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Looks like the Cards may need him. Just went to the Cards message board. They said Leinart looked like crap tonight (high passes), and may still be suffering from his bum shoulder last year.
    They also said Warner's passes were like lasers, 2/2 for 73 yards and a TD. His Johnson in PERFECT stride for the TD. Also said the O-line looked more comfortable with him back there.
    If Leinart is still hurt, Warner may be called upon. I think his fumble problems are gone, because he finally started to wear gloves for the last 2 games last year, and he looked good with them.

moklerman Guest

His Johnson in PERFECT stride for the TD.
    Y'know, I watched the game and I certainly didn't notice that! LOL. But, Warner looked sharp and much better than Leinart or Boyd(3rd stringer). It kills me that it's too late for Warner to get one more chance. I'm tellin' ya, people, the gloves have put him back on form. The last game of '06 he looked pretty sharp and didn't have any of the buttery hands that have plagued him since 2002. His passes all that game and today vs. the Raiders were tighter spirals than even the GSOT days.

Obviously, not too much can be taken from the first preseason game but Arizona looked the same as they did last year on offense(1st stringers anyway). Leinart looked reeeeal rusty. Edgerrin looked slow and indecisive like he did last year. Shipp looked not only better, but good.

Back to Warner, he's always been Mr. August so it's no surprise to see him do well or excel vs. a watered down defense. He's still one of the most accurate qb's in the league.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

we should do what the whiners did to jerry rice (there only good idea ever) sign him to a 30 sec deal so he retires in a Ram uniform

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    we should do what the whiners did to jerry rice (there only good idea ever) sign him to a 30 sec deal so he retires in a Ram uniform
    Works for me, but maybe Bulger's contract won't allow it?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

moklerman Guest

Warner only mentioned retirement last year because of all of the frustration he was dealing with. He said the demotion sparked thoughts of hanging 'em up but that he wasn't really serious about retiring. He's his same old optimistic self this preseason and has said that he still feels like he can be a starter and feels as good as ever.

I just saw parts of the replay of the Cards-Raiders game, and the Cards O looked COMPLETELY DIFFERENT with Warner in. Dang, nobody could have thrown a more perfect pass to Johnson on that slant route. The dude's still got it. Those gloves are making a huge difference.
    Here's a scary thought: What if he had worn gloves while with us? During 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I just saw parts of the replay of the Cards-Raiders game, and the Cards O looked COMPLETELY DIFFERENT with Warner in. Dang, nobody could have thrown a more perfect pass to Johnson on that slant route. The dude's still got it. Those gloves are making a huge difference.
    Here's a scary thought: What if he had worn gloves while with us? During 1999?

I also am watching the replay on NFL channel and Warner did look good in his brief stint. But it is hard to get an accurate feel in a one possession showing.

Personally I am quite pleased with the way he played in '99. Everything seemed to work out well! Maybe the gloves may have helped in the 2002 and 2003 seasons but then do you think Bulger would still be around or do you think he would have been satisfied to play second fiddle for this long?

Of course in this what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, careers are extremely short outside the chosen few who survive (in more ways than one) to enjoy an extended career. Players are a commodity to be traded an/or discarded as need or costs dictate and as such they tend to chase the money early in their careers and The Ring as they near the end of their careers.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    It kills me that it's too late for Warner to get one more chance. I'm tellin' ya, people, the gloves have put him back on form. The last game of '06 he looked pretty sharp and didn't have any of the buttery hands that have plagued him since 2002. His passes all that game and today vs. the Raiders were tighter spirals than even the GSOT days.
    I totally agree Mok. Warner looks like a man reborn with the gloves. His confidence level has definitely been given a boost and his play has been rock solid since he started wearing them, with no hint of any grip problems. As for it being too late for him, I have a feeling we'll get another chance to see if the gloved version of Kurt is for real or just a flash in the pan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast