throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Warner to fulfill contract...

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I totally agree Mok. Warner looks like a man reborn with the gloves. His confidence level has definitely been given a boost and his play has been rock solid since he started wearing them, with no hint of any grip problems. As for it being too late for him, I have a feeling we'll get another chance to see if the gloved version of Kurt is for real or just a flash in the pan.
    I am not saying I don't agree, I just tend not to get into discussions (arguments?) over what "might have" happened, or the "if only" theories...

I wold love to see Warner have another banner year (as long as it is NOT at the Rams' expense) and at least see him get into the argument of those who do or don't belong in the HOF. He had a great 3 year stretch but not enough longevity of numbers to get him there yet.

and yes, I would like to see him retire as a Ram if only in the same way Rice retired as a bay area team member....

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I also am watching the replay on NFL channel and Warner did look good in his brief stint. But it is hard to get an accurate feel in a one possession showing.

Personally I am quite pleased with the way he played in '99. Everything seemed to work out well! Maybe the gloves may have helped in the 2002 and 2003 seasons but then do you think Bulger would still be around or do you think he would have been satisfied to play second fiddle for this long?

Of course in this what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, careers are extremely short outside the chosen few who survive (in more ways than one) to enjoy an extended career. Players are a commodity to be traded an/or discarded as need or costs dictate and as such they tend to chase the money early in their careers and The Ring as they near the end of their careers.
    Heck yes, the 99 season was in my opinion the best season any QB has ever had. With the gloves, he may not have fumbled twice during that Titans game, we may have won, went 14-2... nah, us losing to them in the regular season just made it a better story for Hollywood

In 2002, his pinky was all messed up, the gloves may have helped his grip some, but something still would have been wrong. In 2003 Martz left him in with a concussion, so he may not even remember fumbling! But as you said, we may have never had Bulger stay around then.

I guess we should just be thankful for what we have been given today. It's fun to think of the "what ifs," but it won't change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Heck yes, the 99 season was in my opinion the best season any QB has ever had. With the gloves, he may not have fumbled twice during that Titans game, we may have won, went 14-2... nah, us losing to them in the regular season just made it a better story for Hollywood

In 2002, his pinky was all messed up, the gloves may have helped his grip some, but something still would have been wrong. In 2003 Martz left him in with a concussion, so he may not even remember fumbling! But as you said, we may have never had Bulger stay around then.

I guess we should just be thankful for what we have been given today. It's fun to think of the "what ifs," but it won't change it.

I would also like to have seen better years in the interim but I guess one needs the occasional rain to appreciate the sunshine all the more?

... and speaking of Hollywood.. are they slow to pick up "The Kurt Warner Story" as it is not done yet (as if that EVER stopped them before) or is it because they cannot even use their "editorial license" to insert drinking and carousing? One would think the Kurt Warner Foundation could put the monies to good use...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I would also like to have seen better years in the interim but I guess one needs the occasional rain to appreciate the sunshine all the more?

... and speaking of Hollywood.. are they slow to pick up "The Kurt Warner Story" as it is not done yet (as if that EVER stopped them before) or is it because they cannot even use their "editorial license" to insert drinking and carousing? One would think the Kurt Warner Foundation could put the monies to good use...
    True dat. The sunshine looks all the more better after a downpoor.
    And true again, "The Kurt Warner Story" isn't done just yet!

general counsel is offline Registered User

the gloves arent going to (i) fix his thumb, which has never been the same since he broke it and has inhibited his arm strength throwing the deep ball or (ii) give him any additional mobility.

I agree he is an outstanding backup if he truly accepts that role.

As for retiring a ram, that would make a nice story, but it assumes that warner has positive feelings for the rams organization, which may or may not be true, given what was not the nicest parting of ways.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moklerman Guest

But it is hard to get an accurate feel in a one possession showing.
    Just playing the numbers game, which we all know how conclusive stat's are, since Warner started wearing the gloves vs. SF the second half of game 15 in '06(which amounts to less than two full games):

comp.-33 att.-47 pct.-70.2% yds.-533 ypa-11.34(!) td-2 int.-0 fum.-0 rating-122.0

The 11.34 ypa makes me think that he's feeling pretty good...no, confident in his passing. Meaningless games, preseason games, no pressure are all good reasons for skepticism but it doesn't mean the numbers are completely meaningless. While I always wanted to doubt, due in large part to Warner's claims, that the thumb was causing him the grip/fumbling issues that cost him his job three times, the evidence just didn't back that up. Pretty much any time seeing him play since 2002, it's been a nail-biting experience waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop and the inevitable fumble to occur. Add to that the occasional floaters and finally the uncommon inaccuracy and too often it didn't "feel" like watching Warner.

I mean, I understand becoming spoiled with how accurate he was with the GSOT but there were far too many instances of passes that were on the back shoulder of a receiver taking him out of stride, overthrown balls to wide open receivers and on and on. I mean, it's obvious why so many feel that Warner had just lost "it". I think Warner felt that way too...to some degree. Likely too little, too late but after the demotion(again) he finally started looking for new solutions. Maybe a fan suggested it or his wife or Big Ben himself, but it seems like a pretty dramatic move to adopt gloves this far into a career. I can't claim to understand what it takes to psychologically handle being a professional athlete but admitting you've been wrong can't be high on the list. I hope Warner get's the chance to write a Hollywood ending to his career but it seems doubtful. Age and opportunity are very prominently against him.

the gloves arent going to (i) fix his thumb, which has never been the same since he broke it and has inhibited his arm strength throwing the deep ball or (ii) give him any additional mobility.
    I disagree with you on both points. (i)Grip strength is a huge issue in terms of throwing the deep ball. Ever try throwing a wet football? I don't think Warner has the biggest hands and the loss of dexterity or range from injuries has inhibited his grip just enough to make a huge difference. (ii)Warner's mobility has never been critical to his game. His legs are healthy and he can still manuever in the pocket if there is a pocket.

Ultimately, I think it's the confidence to hang onto the ball and to throw it how and where he wants that will give Warner the confidence to play better. There have been a few instances since he started wearing the gloves that I'm sure he would have fumbled in recent years. His augmented grip seems to be better if not fixed. Of course, now he'll fumble 2 or 3 times next week vs. Houston. Damn, I hate believing in jinx's.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    True dat. The sunshine looks all the more better after a downpoor.
    And true again, "The Kurt Warner Story" isn't done just yet!
    That role has to go to Dennis Quaid. He's played both a pro QB at the end of his career (Any Given Sunday), and a religious older-than-normal rookie breaking into professional sports (The Rookie). Maybe Greg Kinnear can reprise his role as Dick Vermeil.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman Guest

Why not just have Warner play the role of himself? That way, he could donate 10% of his paycheck and money that the movie generates could also go to help others. That would be a (I know, I know, it'll never happen) nice touch.

I don't think they'll ever do more than a Family Channel style movie in his honor so I'm not terribly anxious to see it. If Hollywood got hold of it that would be pretty cool but it's so unlikely that I don't ever really think about it. Speaking of who would portray KW, George Clooney's been mentioned for the hypothetical role in the past.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Speaking of who would portray KW, George Clooney's been mentioned for the hypothetical role in the past.
    Bite your tongue! No man who ever wore "Bat-nipples" should ever play KW!

How about Aaron Eckhart?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Why not just have Warner play the role of himself? That way, he could donate 10% of his paycheck and money that the movie generates could also go to help others. That would be a (I know, I know, it'll never happen) nice touch.

I don't think they'll ever do more than a Family Channel style movie in his honor so I'm not terribly anxious to see it. If Hollywood got hold of it that would be pretty cool but it's so unlikely that I don't ever really think about it. Speaking of who would portray KW, George Clooney's been mentioned for the hypothetical role in the past.
    I disagree, Mok. If the big screen can produce the movie version of Devil Ray reliever Jim Morris' story, surely they can reproduce the 2-time MVP and SB Champ's story.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

if the gloves improve his mobility (ie help him move faster), they should be marketed to all athletes as magic. His mobility in the pocket is what it is (or isnt), the gloves wont make his legs move any faster at all.

I love the guy and i will be routing for him. However, at the end of the day, warner will do very well with all those weapons IF (and its a big IF) he get pass protection. If he doesnt, he will get killed back there.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I love the guy and i will be routing for him. However, at the end of the day, warner will do very well with all those weapons IF (and its a big IF) he get pass protection. If he doesnt, he will get killed back there.
    Agreed, GC, but then any QB with the talent to get to the NFL should be able "do very well" given receivers who can run routes and make the catches and an OL which protects the QB long enough for the receivers to get open.....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Gloves can make a HUGE difference though. I played O-line/D-line in high school for the past three years, but some of my schoolmates joked I had the best hands and arm on the team. Yes, I can catch well, and yes, I can throw well, but I was happy in the trenches.
    My buddies and I always just throw football around for fun. My only problem throwing is that my hands are a little small (but I have some big feet, hands may catch up someday, I'm 18) and when the football is wet, I can't grip it, and have to use all arm to throw insted of being able to grip it and use my wrist. With gloves, I can grip it much better, and the better grip greatly improves accuracy. And this is just throwing around with my buddies. Professional gloves in a real game probably help a lot more than that.

So you have to already have that natural talent to read defenses and lead a team, and you already have to have the physical talent to throw a ball. The gloves will help your grip, which can help your passes, which can make you look a lot better. It's just that little boost that pushed you over that hill.

how many nfl qb's wear gloves while they play? Just curious, because if they help that much, you would think that a majority of the qbs would wear them.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    how many nfl qb's wear gloves while they play? Just curious, because if they help that much, you would think that a majority of the qbs would wear them.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I've never seen any other NFL QB's wearing gloves except in extreme cold, but maybe others with trouble holding onto the ball will follow suit if things work out for Warner. There always has to be a first and it took Kurt a long time before he tried them. It's just my opinion, but he looks much more steady wearing them and in the games I've seen him play, there has not been a hint of any grip problems. Time will tell if there is an actual cause and effect, provided he gets the opportunity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast