throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    moklerman Guest

Re: Warner to fulfill contract...

I've seen Jim McMahon, Doug Flutie, Ben Roethlisberger and for some reason I'm thinking Randall Cunningham wear the gloves on their throwing hand. They are a relatively recent item for qb's and I think the technology/practicality of them for the position has been improved over the "scuba" gloves that first appeared.

In any case, I still don't see how his mobility is an issue. It is what it is and he's done great things with that same lack of mobility. He may never do great things again but opportunity will likely be the cause. Then skills. Then support. Then maybe mobility.

Keenum is offline Registered User

A bunch of QBs don't wear gloves because they are not used to them. They've thrown with their bear hands since they were kids, and they don't want to do anything that would make the ball feel different. Warner kinda had to, and now it looks like he loves it (yet to even see a practice photo of his bare-handed). It probably took him a little bit to get used to throwing with them, but once he did, it was fine.

moklerman Guest

Just so there aren't a slew of Warner threads going at the same time--there's a rumor out there, a very thin one as far as I can tell but enough that foxsports mentioned it apparently, that Minnesota is interested in acquiring Warner.

I think that would be a huge upgrade over T. Jackson and/or Brooks Bollinger but it seems like a very unlikely event. In practical terms, it's too late for him to really come in and learn the offense in Minnesota(I don't even know what style of offense they're considered to run). Also, Shane Boyd looked every bit the unpolished third stringer in the preseason opener for the Cardinals. I don't imagine they want to have him as a #2. If the Vikings were dangling the carrot of a chance for Warner to start I could see him being interested but I've never read an article related to him moving to a new team that he hasn't clearly stated that he doesn't want to leave the Cardinals, much less move a couple thousand miles to a cold weather city/division. Financially, the Cardinals are one of the cheaper teams around and Warner's making a pretty lofty salary as a backup so I can sort of see it on this level but they are so far under the cap every year that it doesn't really seem like an issue.

One thing that might make this possible is that Warner isn't necessarily a Whisenhunt guy. He was inherited from an old regime so there may not be a sense of loyalty to keep him by the new staff. Just to continue the wild guesswork, maybe Warner is looking good enough in camp and feeling good enough that he's making some kind of noise about getting a shot to start? Whispering in the coach's or GM's ear? Maybe the want to squelch anything before it starts and just move him since he isn't a spring chicken anymore.

All in all, I just think it's a slow news day in the NFL. If Warner get's extended playing time this week would it be an indicator at all? He only played one series last week. How much did other 2nd stringers play around the league? Frerotte only got one series didn't he?

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Just so there aren't a slew of Warner threads going at the same time--there's a rumor out there, a very thin one as far as I can tell but enough that foxsports mentioned it apparently, that Minnesota is interested in acquiring Warner.

I think that would be a huge upgrade over T. Jackson and/or Brooks Bollinger but it seems like a very unlikely event. In practical terms, it's too late for him to really come in and learn the offense in Minnesota(I don't even know what style of offense they're considered to run). Also, Shane Boyd looked every bit the unpolished third stringer in the preseason opener for the Cardinals. I don't imagine they want to have him as a #2. If the Vikings were dangling the carrot of a chance for Warner to start I could see him being interested but I've never read an article related to him moving to a new team that he hasn't clearly stated that he doesn't want to leave the Cardinals, much less move a couple thousand miles to a cold weather city/division. Financially, the Cardinals are one of the cheaper teams around and Warner's making a pretty lofty salary as a backup so I can sort of see it on this level but they are so far under the cap every year that it doesn't really seem like an issue.

One thing that might make this possible is that Warner isn't necessarily a Whisenhunt guy. He was inherited from an old regime so there may not be a sense of loyalty to keep him by the new staff. Just to continue the wild guesswork, maybe Warner is looking good enough in camp and feeling good enough that he's making some kind of noise about getting a shot to start? Whispering in the coach's or GM's ear? Maybe the want to squelch anything before it starts and just move him since he isn't a spring chicken anymore.

All in all, I just think it's a slow news day in the NFL. If Warner get's extended playing time this week would it be an indicator at all? He only played one series last week. How much did other 2nd stringers play around the league? Frerotte only got one series didn't he?
    Nice find, Mok.. I started another thread on this before I saw your post. Sorry for duplicating. :\
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Warner said he doesn't want to move his family again, so that will be a big factor. I would love to see Warner get another chance with a team (Warner also said he would love one more chance), but the Cardinals are also worried a little bit about Leinart's shoulder and if he can stay healthy.
    The Vikings would have to give up a lot more than most for another team's backup QB, but with Warner looing like a man rebirthed with those gloves, could it be worth it???

moklerman Guest

I think that Warner would jump at the opportunity but I just don't see how this story has any teeth. I can't think of any kind of connection that would inspire the Vikings to go after Warner. The Lions or Dolphins or ...where's Fairchild coaching now? I could at least see why they would consider bringing in a qb since Warner's familiar with their system(s). This Viking thing is from so far out in left field that I'm not seeing the reasoning.

Keenum, I hadn't heard anything about the Cardinals being concerned about Leinart's shoulder(s). Is that your supposition or did you hear it somewhere? It's a logical assumption and I think Warner will see some playing time in '07 based on Leinart's possible penchant for injury.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Keenum, I hadn't heard anything about the Cardinals being concerned about Leinart's shoulder(s). Is that your supposition or did you hear it somewhere? It's a logical assumption and I think Warner will see some playing time in '07 based on Leinart's possible penchant for injury.
    Have not heard it from an "official Cardinals source." Research showed that Leinart had some shoulder problems before his NFL career (some in college, not sure in high school), and that injury last year may show it is a problem.
    Also, members on the Cardinals message board are showing a concern over Leinart as well. They were glad when Warner decided to return to back up Leinart, because they are afraid that his shoulder may get hurt again. Also, nearly 100% of Cardinal fans DO NOT want the Cards to trade Warner unless they get an awesome deal (stud LB/Oline and very high draft pick).
    Also, the fans are concerned some about Leinart's throwing. They said something just didn't look right in his first preseason game, but it was hard to tell if it was just some first game jitters/rust, or his arm. We'll all find out in the coming games weather or not it was just some rust.

moklerman Guest

I predict that he'll look fine in game two. It's easy to expect these guys to step on the field and be hitting on all cylinders but for most guys there's a warmup period. Look at Brees in the Hall of Fame game. He could barely complete a pass. By game two he was more on form. Bulger didn't look ready to go against the Vikings but he'll be fine, etc., etc.

Leinart's shoulder(s) might be an issue but that's just speculation at this point. Although he's technically got a history developing, from what I've read none of the shoulder injuries are related. He may be fragile but I've read reasonable accounts of why it's not a chronic problem with the shoulder(he actually injured both shoulders last year but I mean the one that was again injured from college).

Who am I thinking of that had arm problems and just never was the same...Steve Walsh, maybe?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    how many nfl qb's wear gloves while they play? Just curious, because if they help that much, you would think that a majority of the qbs would wear them.
    Looks like David Carr, who has always had problems holding onto the ball, has gone to the gloves as well.

Big Ben usually wears gloves. I remember the one time he didn't (AFC Championship game against Pats) he didn't look good at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123