throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Warner gets the nod

per Giants.com

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has named Kurt Warner as the starting quarterback when the Giants face the Jets this Friday night. Both Warner and rookie Eli Manning will split time with the first team offense, which is expected to play into the third quarter

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Warner gets the nod

This shouldn't be surprising. Coughlin has said those two will be taking turns throughout the preseason. I assume Manning will probably start the 4th game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You have to wonder if this means Kurt is the frontrunner for the opening game starter, considering the thrid preseason game is usually considered a dress rehersal of the regular season and the fourth game is more of a "let's not get injured" game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

As sad as it may seem but my prediction is Warner will be the starter for opening day and opening day only.

It is my belief that the Giants organization knowing full well what it is like to go to the likes of Philly to play will have Warner be the sacrificial lamb with what will be an onslaught of the quarterback. The Giants are in a win, win situation with Warner starting. If the line doesn't hold it is only Warner going down, and it will give the opportunity for Manning to step in naturally. If the line does hold Warner will play well enough to ease the youngster in.

Its a win, win for the Giants and a lose, lose for Warner. One can only hope that he isn't killed by the rabidiness that can become of Philadelphia at home, during there opener.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    You have to wonder if this means Kurt is the frontrunner for the opening game starter, considering the thrid preseason game is usually considered a dress rehersal of the regular season and the fourth game is more of a "let's not get injured" game.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -08-26-2004 at 09:44 AM.

sbramfan Guest

It sounds like Coughlin is sticking to his original plan, but I think everyone out there has Eli with the edge over Warner at this point, based on performance?

But I'm rooting for Kurt. I hope he plays well this Friday. I'd like to see him get a little respect back this year, even though Manning will be starting at some point this year, if not opening day.

The problem I see with this situation is that while Kurt signed a two-year deal with New York, he's certainly not going to be there after this season. According to an interview on ESPN, he said he'd like to play this season, go to another team and play 2-3 more years before retiring. I'm not convinced there are a lot of teams out there that are going to be interested in Warner after this season, at least not as a starter. And Warner doesn't seem to be backing away from the idea that he's starting material. So I'm curious to see how this develops in the next couple of seasons.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

I believe Philly started 0-3 last year and has their own problems so maybe KW will not be the "sacrificial" lamb as it is football and who cares who you play as you have to go out there and try to play your best.

Starting Gate in NY 'ants land is a non issue. :tongue:
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone
    I believe Philly started 0-3 last year and has their own problems so maybe KW will not be the "sacrificial" lamb as it is football and who cares who you play as you have to go out there and try to play your best.

Well, I think the Eagles started 0-2 (not 0-3) more because of their offensive struggles than inability on defense. McNabb had a QB rating in the 40s from his first two games. Rest assured that Jim Johnson will have plenty of blitz packages ready and waiting on whoever starts for the Giants in Week One, and the addition of Jevon Kearse on the defensive line makes their pass rush even more dangerous.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Well, I think the Eagles started 0-2 (not 0-3) more because of their offensive struggles than inability on defense. McNabb had a QB rating in the 40s from his first two games. Rest assured that Jim Johnson will have plenty of blitz packages ready and waiting on whoever starts for the Giants in Week One, and the addition of Jevon Kearse on the defensive line makes their pass rush even more dangerous.
    You're right and with that offensive line, everybody is going to be sending the house at the Giants. I was thinking that Warner seemed to be a little more comfortable scrambling this preseason. Once his insurance company took a look at that O-line, I bet his health premiums went through the roof. I hope Warner & Manning are both light on their feet or NY will be ushering in the Jesse Palmer & Alex Van Dyke era. Maybe they should bring back Jared Lorenzen, it would take an entire defensive line to bring him down.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone
    I agree. KW should start over an unproven rookie. One of KW's early strong suits was to make quick decisions and release the ball quickly. It won't take long to see if something has changed in that respect and then if it has the Kid can become the second coming of christe. That is until he mucks up a blitz read and it costs them a game ...

I agree with Wraith on this matter. The Giants clearly have more to lose if they start Eli, IMO. He's their franchise QB, the man of the future. If Warner struggles, they can bring Eli the hero in, banking on his camp, preseason, and early regular season observations. But if they put Eli in and he struggles right off the bat, people will immediately begin to question if he was the right boat to sail for today and tomorrow. Imagine if they put Eli in for the first two weeks (versus Philly and Washington) and they go 0-2 with Eli stinking up the joint. Talk about media pressure in the Big Apple!

DJRamFan Guest

Well, I think Coughlin made up his mind a long time ago and is just doing the respectful thing to both. My prediction is Manning starts on Day 1, but won't take every snap this season.