Milan is offline Registered User

Warner Interested in Joining Martz

Lions | Warner interested in rejoining Martz?
    Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:14:13 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner said he's open to the idea of rejoining Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz in Detroit. Warner told Jeff Vernetti of KSLG (1380 AM) in an interview: "With what we did offensively, and his offensive mind, and just as an offensive football coach, I haven't been around any better (than Martz). That always would be intriguing. And knowing the (Martz) system, loving the system, and feeling like it plays into my strengths. All of those things would be plusses. They've got a lot of skill guys there (in Detroit); they've got a lot of talent there, similar to what we had in St. Louis. You look at it from that standpoint, and I think it would be really exciting. It would be fun." Martz has confided to associates that if he ever needed a quarterback in his new destination, and he needs one in Detroit, he wouldn't hesitate to bring Warner in. Warner is scheduled to be a free agent in March, unless the Arizona Cardinals re-sign him first.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Warner Interested in Joining Martz

Once again, Bernie has scooped the obvious.

Duh.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I'm one of the Warnerites, but I never really felt like I was that interested in watching him on other teams. I thought I would be more interested, but really wasn't.

Point being, I think THIS would be interesting.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting possibility. Is there some purpose to these statements? Would Warner really like to rejoin Martz or is he looking to force the issue with Arizona? Lots of possible story dynamics here. I think he would do well in either situation.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wait, I thought it was Martz who hated Warner and ran him out of town unjustly? Why would he want to work with Warner again? Hmmmmm.

[/can of worms]
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Wait, I thought it was Martz who hated Warner and ran him out of town unjustly? Why would he want to work with Warner again? Hmmmmm.
    I was thinking this too, but stranger things have been happening lately so nothing would surprise me, especially when Mad Mike is involved.

Hodgins is offline Registered User

behind that offensive line?

LMAO his career would be done by week 8

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

bruce_wannabe Guest

but he would have more passing yards than michael vick does in one season!!!!!! lol

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

How about one game!LOL

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Sounds like KW is using the media to put some pressure on the redbirds to me.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Since we're all reading between the lines and guessing at who's thinking what, Warner never actually says he wants to play for Martz or the Lions. He said playing in Martz system plays to his strengths. He said it would be exciting to be in a Martz system with the talent they have in Detroit. He never says he would or wants to play for Martz himself. The Martz system, yes. Martz in particular? He didn't say.

This is from a different board on the same subject:
    Warner was on a St. Louis area radio show earlier today. Reportedly, when asked if he'd be interested in joining Martz in Detroit, his comment was "My loyalty is with the Cardinals" and went on to say he's NOT interested in going to DET, or Miami, or anywhere else, he wants to finish his career in AZ.
    Last edited by moklerman; -02-12-2006 at 06:05 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Kurt Warner: "IT'S OVER, JOHNNY...OVER!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    Sounds like KW is using the media to put some pressure on the redbirds to me.

Very possible , What a reunion anyone think it will happen ???

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Since we're all reading between the lines and guessing at who's thinking what, Warner never actually says he wants to play for Martz or the Lions. He said playing in Martz system plays to his strengths. He said it would be exciting to be in a Martz system with the talent they have in Detroit. He never says he would or wants to play for Martz himself. The Martz system, yes. Martz in particular? He didn't say.

This is from a different board on the same subject:
    Yea, but isn't that Warner's style? He's always been a class act, and this is no different. In his last days with a team, he sees the writing on the wall (or ESPN teleprompter), but remains loyal to his team by saying that's where he wants to be forever......it happened here, NY, and now in 'Zona. I think when he says he wants to retire in the desert, he's just being Kurt...loyal to his current team.

As for joining Martz, I think it would be a great idea. Whether they like each other or not, these two guys are professionals and as such surely see that they, once upon a time, made some beautiful music together. It started both their meteoric rises. Now they both find themselves at a point where they are trying to resurrect their careers. They might as well come to a common ground and re-invent themselves together again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

hadley reported this a week or two ago. my reaction was "no freakin way."

after reading the quotes from warner i still don't think it is likely, but perhaps more possible than i first imagined.