Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Warner To See Action?

Lienart thrown to ground on left shoulder and in visible pain... Warner warming up... Leinart headed to locker room for x-rays

RnD

GO RAMS!!:l
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -12-24-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: updated

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: Warner To See Action?

Nothing against Lineart, and I certainly hope the injury isn't serious. But I am glad to see Warner get a chance to play. I suspect that his hand never really recovered its gripping strength from that injury in 2002 (in the only Rams game I ever got to see in person, a horrible loss against the Cowboys). So, his big problem isn't inaccuracy or even immobility, but a nasty tendency to fumble. Because of this, I think he is best suited as a backup qb on a team with a decent O-line.

In any event, for old times sakes, and because its the Ņiners . . . GO KURT!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm glad to see Warner play as well. So far he's doing alright, but not exactly lighting it up. It's intersting to note that he's playing with gloves on, something I've never seen him do before. In any case, we need the whiners to lose a game and I'd just as soon see it happen today. Come on Kurt!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

He's not the Kurt of 2001, but he's holding his own. I'm watching the game, and he can still drop a pass where he needs to!

moklerman is offline Registered User

Warner indeed played with gloves for the first time. It's interesting to me that he's finally, apparently, addressed his grip issues now that a starting job is probably out of the question. He should have tried the gloves years ago. Oh well, it was a good day to be a Rams fan. An exciting overtime win vs. Washington and Warner and the Cardinals beating the ***** to help keep the Rams playoff chances alive. If nothing else, Warner doesn't seem to lose to the *****. I'll always love him for that.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    It's interesting to me that he's finally, apparently, addressed his grip issues now that a starting job is probably out of the question. He should have tried the gloves years ago.
    Agreed. I don't know why he waited so long to try something, anything to help hold onto the ball. His fortunes could have been very different. Oh well, he got the job done today and helped to keep us alive.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Warner will (should) get the nod next week also as the early report says Leinart will miss next week due to the shoulder injury.

While not looking spectacular he did nothing to hurt his high pass attempt percentage and maybe shook some of the cobwebs out.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!

I agree that he didn't look spectacular and he also got lucky on a really bad pass that should have been intercepted. That being said, Arizona was obviously very content to just hold onto the lead and play it as safe as possible by the time Warner came into the game. He managed to convert quite a few third downs though and all in all, just like he's always seemed to do, looked pretty darned accurate with the ball.

For his sake, I pray that Baltimore has already lost by the time the Cards and Chargers hit the field. As improved as the Arizona line is, if San Diego has something to play for, Warner's going to have a long day.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

This next game may very well be Warners last in the NFL. I don't see any starting jobs out there and I don't think a 2 time NFL MVP and SB MVP is going to be thrilled to be backing up somebody. Maybe he goes to the Lions if Martz is still there, it's an outside shot but crazier things have happened. Kitna sure isn't getting it done. But then again, the Lions probably draft Quinn so Warner would be in the same situation he was in with NY and the Cards. I think it's probably time for him to pack it in.

He's hinted at retirement but I think his best bet, if he decides to keep playing is to stay right where he is. Leinart's been hurt twice already in his young career so it's not unheard of for him to be again. Some guys, like Brady, Favre and Manning just have a knack for not getting hurt while others are continually dealing with something. Obviously Warner's going to have to go the Jeff Garcia route at this point but I don't know that there aren't any starting jobs out there.

Imagine if Martz goes to Oakland? I could see him coaxing Warner to come in and run the offense so they could hit the ground running(so to speak). That's assuming that their relationship is as good as they both claim. Strange things happen all the time in this league that's for sure. I'm sure if Saunders gets a head coaching gig Warner might be on his short list as well. I don't think it's likely but I can conceive of a couple scenarios that would see Warner as a starter again.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Imagine if Martz goes to Oakland? I could see him coaxing Warner to come in and run the offense so they could hit the ground running(so to speak).
    I don't think you want to see Warner in Oakland. They can't protect the passer at all (70 sacks allowed in 15 games!). Not sure if he'd "hit the ground running" there, but he would surely hit the ground often.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Green Bay (If Favre retires), and Miami (QB situation a mess and if they're smart enough to dump Culpepper) all need a QB and could use Warner.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think you want to see Warner in Oakland. They can't protect the passer at all (70 sacks allowed in 15 games!). Not sure if he'd "hit the ground running" there, but he would surely hit the ground often.
    There are so many more reasons besides that why I would never want him in Oakland.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Green Bay (If Favre retires), and Miami (QB situation a mess and if they're smart enough to dump Culpepper) all need a QB and could use Warner.
    If Warner is smart, he'll stay far away from Oakland, their line is pitiful and he won't make it past the 3rd or 4th game. Tampa Bay just gave Simms a contract extension, so he's the starter there. I think Cleveland has given up on Frye being a starter, but I don't think their looking to go old at the qb position. They have another young kid there, and I think their going to draft Troy Smith. They know their going to be bad for a while, so bringing in Smith will appease the fans and he'll have time to learn on the job. I think Miami is going with Culpepper next year, and I think they like Harrington too.

I'm just trying to say I don't really think there's any place for Warner.

There's going to be a few free agent qb's available next year too. Staying in Arizona and maybe get some playing time is better than getting killed on another bad/rebuilding team. I'm not sure he really wants to come back though. But, if Brad Johnson can be given a starting job I guess anything's possible. I can't predict what it might be, but who knows?

I can't imagine him going to another team and starting over but for the life of me, I don't understand why he doesn't go to a west coast style offense. I think Tampa Bay would be a decent situation for him. He's twice the qb that Rattay is and Rattay's as good as Simms and way better than Gradkowski. Basically what I'm saying is that Tampa Bay doesn't really have a qb right now. Griese was doing pretty well when he was there but somehow lost his job to Simms. I think Gruden's a pretty good coach but I don't know why he's so enamoured with Simms. It seems like all of Gruden's success as a coach has come with savvy veterans like Gannon and to a lesser extent Johnson at qb. Heck, they've looked a lot better with Rattay in there recently and he's barely a veteran starter.

I think Oakland and Detroit will take Quinn and Smith one way or the other so Tampa Bay and Cleveland seem like the only (remote) possibilities of a team needing a starter and willing to take a shot on an aging vet. Actually, now that I think about it and depending on how the dominos fall, Washington could be a potential landing spot. I don't know what Brunell's situation is but if he leaves and Campbell comes in as the starter they will likely need a vet to back him up. Warner and Saunders have history and I think Cambell has been very unimpressive as well as I don't think he's got a lot of potential. I can see a vet taking over if he does struggle.

I'm just thinking out loud. I don't really have much hope of seeing Warner play much more before he retires. This Sunday is probably his swan song.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast