Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Warner signs with Arizona

Quarterback joins Arizona at top of depth chart
    By John Clayton, ESPN.com

Quarterback Kurt Warner felt good enough about his visit to Arizona to reach a one-year, $4 million agreement Sunday with the Cardinals, effectively canceling a trip to Detriot this week.

Warner, seeking to regain a starting job after revitalizing his career with the New York Giants last season, visited the Cardinals and Bears before thinking about the opportunity Arizona afforded him and decided it was in his best interest to sign.

"He had a great visit to Arizona," his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said. "Kurt thinks they have a great group of young receivers and a good offensive line. He liked their fullback [James Hodgins] and he likes the offensive system that they run."

The Cardinals currently have Josh McCown and Shaun King as their top two quarterbacks.

Warner, 33, will have a chance to play in a system with which he is familiar. Cardinals coach Dennis Green hired Keith Rowan from the Chiefs to be his offensive coordinator, thus implementing the system Warner ran when he was with the Rams and Dick Vermeil was their coach.

Why the one-year contract?

"Kurt wants to control his own destiny," Bartelstein said. "He thinks he is on top of his game. He thinks he's going to play at a Pro Bowl level."

The Bears were looking for Warner to back up Rex Grossman, while the Lions were considering Warner to compete against Joey Harrington if he struggled as this year's starter.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Warner signs with Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Why the one-year contract?

"Kurt wants to control his own destiny," Bartelstein said. "He thinks he is on top of his game. He thinks he's going to play at a Pro Bowl level."
    All I have to say is... wow. :confused:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Now that Warner's on a divisional rival, he is the enemy. May he and the Cardinals continue their many years of crappiness.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he did for the Rams, but until he's out of the division, I hope he struggles.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -03-07-2005 at 12:55 AM.

majorram is offline Registered User

Secretly I bet warner can't wait to have a POP at the Rams twice a year!!!!
    I look forward to these games.....

steve :ramlogo:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Its going to be real interesting,Kurt in red,I think will see him on his back with Ram helmuts on him.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:18 PM.

PTHOR is offline Registered User

I hope he passes on our defense like ther'es no tomarrow and then loses on a last minute screw up by his defense.
    Also I'll be hoping that while scrammbling to the sideline he "accidentally" crashes into Martz stepping on his fat neck in the process...

Have a great season Kurt,

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I hope he does well. I hope he puts up career numbers in 14 of his games. And as long as the Cards finish behind the Rams, I could care less how well his team does.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, here's his chance to sink or swim. He's had loads of time to recover from those hand problems in his final years here. Last year he put up mediocre numbers in a system with limited potential for big passing plays. If Warner wants to make a strong claim to the Hall of Fame, he'll be looking for a few more years of those gawdy old-time numbers. He's got Fitzgerald and Boldin and a decent pass-catching tight end in Freddie Jones. His head coach was the architect of one of the highest scoring offenses in history ('98 Vikings). The Cardinals defense has never been all that intimidating, but if they land a quality RB in the draft, they might be a bigger threat than the Seahawks next year. I've heard more than one commentator note that the Cards were a high effort team with talent, but they just couldn't seem to get results. The question for Warner and AZ will be if they can't reverse that trend with what they have now, will they ever? I guess we ought to look on the bright side; twice a year we'll get to see both Bulger and Warner in the same game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PTHOR
    I hope he passes on our defense like ther'es no tomarrow
    I'd rather he not, because if he did, that would probably mean our defense hasn't improved, which I'm hoping it does.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

This is the perfect fit for Warner. I stated during the season that this would be a ideal situation for Warner with the receivers AZ has (just thought I would remind u all how I predicted that haha). Well how will this affect the Rams? We will see the perfect target for our new linebackers. I still think Warner has a mental block when being rushed and will continue to put the ball on the ground when sacked hard. I hope we see lots of Blitz packages
    in these 2 games. Warner is the enemy now and as much as I love him I can not root for his success in this division. The west is the Rams and The whiners the Hags and Tweety Birds must fail.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

In a related story, the Cardinals have a new uniform. Here's a photo of it being modeled!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I was hoping he would go to the Lions! :confused:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Something like this?

moklerman is offline Registered User

Well, depending on how the new OC for the Cardinals implements the "Martz-offense" I just might get my wish. I've been arguing for a while that the KC variation on the greatest show on turf is a much better offense than what the Rams are running.

There are so many connections to the Rams with this whole situation it's not even funny. If the Cardinals can get a quality rb they might have the best personnel on offense out of the bunch. The Rams have the established 1-2 punch at wr but Boldin and Fitzgerald aren't far behind. The Chiefs have the stable of rb's...that they actually utilize, and the TE but the Card's still have a chance to keep Freddie Jones. Not Gonzo, but still pretty good. Qb's are basically a wash to me. Bulger/Warner/Green are all pretty equal talent-wise as far as I can see. I like Warner the best but he's not head and shoulders above the other two.

Basically, if the Cardinals get a rb, could have the best of both worlds in regards to the Greatest Show and it's variants with qb/wr's/te/rb? talent.

Also, I know a lot of St. Louisans will forever despise Bidwell (see: Georgia Frontiere and L.A. fans) but if he continues to open up his purse strings and put's a winner on the field will, especially in this age of NFL Sunday ticket, migrate back to the team they grew up with? The Cardinals have been around a long time and I speak from experience when I say that I can't imagine just forgetting about "my" team just because they moved. If...IF the Cardinals start winning a few games it's going to be a heck of a story in St. Louis.

The Cardinals' O line is nothing to write home about, and they may lose L.J. Shelton, who was one of their better linemen.

I don't see the Cards having a GSOT offense. Maybe the GSOS (Greatest Show on Sand) by default.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast