Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: Warner.....still has it

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

It was this guy...[picture of Norm Van Brocklin]

Well, Avenger, you got it partially right...
    First, the Cleveland Rams made it to the promised land in 1945, not 1951. The Rams are the only team to win the NFL Champiobship in three cities (and three time zones!).

The QB who led the Rams in '45 was young sensation Bob Waterfield, who also handled kicks and landed Jane Russell, to boot!

In 1951, the championship Los Angeles Rams had the ultimate QB controversy... NO SET STARTING QB! Both Van Brocklin and Waterfield saw plenty of playing time. Coach Stydahar liked to go with the hot hand. He also knew that Van Brocklin's ego sometimes needed some cooling off.

So, Bob Waterfield's picture should be in the frame, he did it first, and he participated twice!

By the way, speaking of Bob Waterfield, here is an anecdote from lineman Art Donovan's memoir, "Fatso":

The Rams were playing the Baltimore Colts. On first down, Donovan breaks through the line and dumps Waterfield behind the line of scrimmage...hard. Waterfield starts cussing at him, saying that "He was going to get Donovan." Donovan laughed.

On second down, the offensive lineman steps to the side. "This is too easy!" Donovan thinks as he rushes towards Waterfield. Waterfield DRILLS the ball directly into Donovan's nose! (No face guards then!) After Donovan learned that Waterfield was confident enough to burn a down to teach a lesson, he gained a lot of respect for the man.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Well Nick, I'm not actually trying to defend or diminish anything about that particular play, someone else on the thread was speculating as to what happened on the play so I was just trying to give a decent description.

Warner showed some promise but also some rust so all in all it was just a nice start. Nothing conclusive can be taken at this point. Someone else mentioned a very sobering thought regarding his near flawless 2003 preseason so although I'm encouraged, I'm also waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And, just to play the semantics game for a moment, Warner's pass was risky but not off target in my opinion. As much as I hate to use it as an example it's really an approprieate one since it fit's my definition and there's a good chance someone reading this will know the play I'm talking about. That example is the Bulger pass that the Chicago defender made a diving interception on. That would be off target in my book. He just badly missed where he was trying to throw whereas the Warner pass was where he wanted to throw it but it wasn't at the time he wanted to throw it (I think).

I humbly request that anyone not interested in this thread simply not comment on it. I happen to be enjoying the conversation and would hate to see it bogged down with personal issues.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Well Nick, I'm not actually trying to defend or diminish anything about that particular play, someone else on the thread was speculating as to what happened on the play so I was just trying to give a decent description.

Warner showed some promise but also some rust so all in all it was just a nice start. Nothing conclusive can be taken at this point. Someone else mentioned a very sobering thought regarding his near flawless 2003 preseason so although I'm encouraged, I'm also waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And, just to play the semantics game for a moment, Warner's pass was risky but not off target in my opinion. As much as I hate to use it as an example it's really an approprieate one since it fit's my definition and there's a good chance someone reading this will know the play I'm talking about. That example is the Bulger pass that the Chicago defender made a diving interception on. That would be off target in my book. He just badly missed where he was trying to throw whereas the Warner pass was where he wanted to throw it but it wasn't at the time he wanted to throw it (I think).

I humbly request that anyone not interested in this thread simply not comment on it. I happen to be enjoying the conversation and would hate to see it bogged down with personal issues.

Well put Mok!..................its been this way for some time,someone talks about something they like and believe in. Then someone always seems to try to tear it apart............Our thoughts are our thoughts and it doesnt always have to end up in a debate all the time!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I didn't get a chance to see the Bulger pass, so I can't compare. But if that's the case - if throwing a pass on the receiver's route but too far ahead of him and too early makes a pass on target - then any pass that is thrown to some point on a receiver's route - too early, too late, too far ahead, too far behind - can be classified as on target, and I don't agree with that, nor do I think many coaches would either.

Saying a pass is on target means it was where it needed to be for a receiver to make the catch. Throwing a pass too early to a spot too far ahead of a receiver doesn't do that. I don't know how you can qualify that as on target, but that's just my two cents, and I guess we can agree to disagree on it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Yo! Dude! Where ya been?:smoke:
    Been working about 70 hours a week since last October. I've been lurking every now and again, but haven't really had the time to post much.

Fear not, bro....I do plan on getting more vocal as the season kicks off!

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Just trying to touch a "nerve" I guess...
    I hear ya, dude! Actually, I've missed our witty banter from days-gone-by so I thought I'd poke ya with my Warner-Stick to see what happens....all in good fun!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

Told ya so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234