AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Warner, Toomer to Assist Tsunami Victims

Warner, Toomer to assist tsunami victims

WASHINGTON (Feb. 2, 2005) -- Two of the NFL's leading football players, New York Giants quarterback Kurt Warner and wide receiver Amani Toomer, are traveling to tsunami-ravaged Indonesia this month to help the United Nations World Food Program in their work to feed hungry families there.

The World Food Program (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, and feeds an average of 90 million people each year across the globe. In Indonesia and Sri Lanka, two of the countries hardest hit by the tsunami, WFP is feeding more than 1 million people.

"We are thrilled to have the help of the National Football League, the NFL Players Association, and these two great players in raising awareness about the critical work we do in Asia, as well as the rest of the world," said Judith Lewis, WFP's director for U.S. relations. "Both Kurt and Amani will be lending their physical support to the people affected by the tsunami, but they will also be drawing attention to the needs of so many vulnerable families in other parts of the world."

Both Warner and Toomer and their wives Brenda and Yola, will arrive in Indonesia on Feb. 11 and immediately will depart for Banda Aceh, where they will visit some of the most devastated areas. While living in tents, they will help load C-130 aircraft and distribute food to families. The players will work on the front lines alongside WFP staff, known worldwide for their excellent emergency response capacity.

The Toomers also will travel to Sri Lanka on Feb. 16 to help pitch in with reconstruction work on that island nation. Currently, WFP is helping feed more than 850,000 people in Sri Lanka, with a large logistics network spread throughout the country.

Lewis noted the Warners and Toomers would take back their experience on the ground in Indonesia and Sri Lanka and help draw attention to the millions of people, particularly children, who go to bed hungry in other parts of the world, including Africa and Latin America.

Today, more than 800 million people are undernourished, including more than 300 million children.

NFL players have been active with the WFP throughout the tsunami crisis. The Indianapolis Colts donated $50,000 and a further $60,000 was raised by fans at a postseason game between the Colts and the Denver Broncos on Jan. 9.

Quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb volunteered their time to record a commercial for WFP, which aired during the NFL playoff games in January. The commercial was shown during five playoff games, with the airtime, valued at millions of dollars, donated by the NFL.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Warner, Toomer to Assist Tsunami Victims

With all the debate about his football playing status, sometimes it is overlooked what a genuinely good guy Kurt is.

thoey is offline Registered User

Thanks for the story AvengerRam. I hadn't seen this. KW, Amani, and several other NFL players make it good to consider them role models.
    This space for rent...

RammieGirl Guest

Well, I don't know much about Amani's past, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that Kurt is going there to help out anyway that he can. I have always admired him and will continue to. I give kudos to both of them and their wives and also the other NFL players and fans that have generously donated. I myself have donated to this unfortunate tragedy, so very sad. Thanks AV for the info. God Bless them all.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good for both of them. I wish acts like this got more exposure, but I suppose it's bigger news when guys say they'll shake their #$%& after being fined.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

clanram_81 Guest

I have always thought of Kurt Warner as a great role model, every since he first came to the rams and I got to here his story, I have always thought he was one of few who are playing the game because they love it not strictly for the big paycheck that he gets, I have always tried to model my actions on the field and off the field after him. Don't know much about amani toomer but kudos to them both andall the rest of the nfl players helping out. I think this kinda stuff should be noticed more as well but as was said already other things are more important I guess. Thanks for the story AR.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

True ambassadors for the game. Well done to both of these gentlemen.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod