Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    13

    What I would like to see for Drafts.

    A lottery.

    The team that was worst, gets the most balls in the lottery.

    I hate how we award the worst team with a guaranteed first spot, and games like texans vs. ***** this year, where teams would try to purposly lose to get the #1 Pick.

    We should have a lottery, like the NHL had this year, with the worst team getting in 4 balls, the two 2nd worst teams getting in 3 balls, the the fourth worst team getting in 2 balls and the rest of the NFL getting in one ball.

    I hate how it see saws between teams, where the ***** are guaranteed to be amazing in the next few years with all the early picks they're getting.

    Losers should Not be rewarded with good players, they should just get a better chance at getting them.


  2. #2
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Isn't losing enough punishment? In financial terms, a losing team isn't generally going to sell as much merchandise or as many tickets(unless you're just used to it like in Detroit). I don't see it as rewarding teams for underachievement; it's just trying to pull them back up to the level of other teams.

    Maybe it's just me, but I like intensely competitive games. Blowouts aren't any fun unless you weren't really sure whether you were going to win to begin with. I think being in a competitive division helps in the playoffs, too, because you're used to having to play at your best. Look at the Steelers this year that barely even made the playoffs versus the Colts who barely had to break a sweat against the Titans and Texans and hit the playoffs cold.

    The ***** aren't guaranteed anything. When I look at their depth chart, I don't see one player I would want to have starting on our team. Not one. Julian Peterson was the only star, and he left for a division rival. This year's Niners could be worse than last year's. It'll take years for them to even be a contender.

  3. #3
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Isn't losing enough punishment? In financial terms, a losing team isn't generally going to sell as much merchandise or as many tickets(unless you're just used to it like in Detroit). I don't see it as rewarding teams for underachievement; it's just trying to pull them back up to the level of other teams.

    Maybe it's just me, but I like intensely competitive games. Blowouts aren't any fun unless you weren't really sure whether you were going to win to begin with. I think being in a competitive division helps in the playoffs, too, because you're used to having to play at your best. Look at the Steelers this year that barely even made the playoffs versus the Colts who barely had to break a sweat against the Titans and Texans and hit the playoffs cold.

    The ***** aren't guaranteed anything. When I look at their depth chart, I don't see one player I would want to have starting on our team. Not one. Julian Peterson was the only star, and he left for a division rival. This year's Niners could be worse than last year's. It'll take years for them to even be a contender.
    They would still have the best chance of getting a good player. They're basically rewarding them for being the worst team in the NFL with the best young player in college.

  4. #4
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    They would still have the best chance of getting a good player. They're basically rewarding them for being the worst team in the NFL with the best young player in college.
    That would be the case... if the best young player in college always turned out to be a stud at the next level.

    I dunno. I don't follow the NBA, but everything I hear is that their lottery system for the draft is horrible. I think our's is fine.

  5. #5
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Now one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a serpentine draft order, so that whoever drafts first in the first round drafts last in the second, first again in the third, etc. That way the worst teams would be guaranteed their choice of the very top players that you build a franchise around, but the best team in the league would still get two good players at numbers 32 and 33 or they could package and move up. This would help compensate the best teams for the talent drain that usually occurs after they become successful.

  6. #6
    Revelstoke's Avatar
    Revelstoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    A lottery.

    The team that was worst, gets the most balls in the lottery.

    I hate how we award the worst team with a guaranteed first spot, and games like texans vs. ***** this year, where teams would try to purposly lose to get the #1 Pick.

    We should have a lottery, like the NHL had this year, with the worst team getting in 4 balls, the two 2nd worst teams getting in 3 balls, the the fourth worst team getting in 2 balls and the rest of the NFL getting in one ball.

    I hate how it see saws between teams, where the ***** are guaranteed to be amazing in the next few years with all the early picks they're getting.

    Losers should Not be rewarded with good players, they should just get a better chance at getting them.

    I think its a good idea, i like the NHL system
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

  7. #7
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke
    I think its a good idea, i like the NHL system
    NHL didn't really use it until this year because they didn't know who would get first pick because of the Lockout.

  8. #8
    Revelstoke's Avatar
    Revelstoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Yeah, I know, but i like that fact that they have decdied to use it.

    And actually if I'm not mistaken they used to use a simialr system back in the day, not sure of specifis, but i'm pretty sure this is sort of a throw back for the NHL
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

  9. #9
    RAM-BO's Avatar
    RAM-BO is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    906
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    I don't think it would be right. I don't like the idea of colts drafting Reggie Bush.

  10. #10
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I don't think it would be right. I don't like the idea of colts drafting Reggie Bush.
    Colts would have a 1 in 23 chance of getting the first pick, just like almost all of the other teams.

  11. #11
    rams_fan81's Avatar
    rams_fan81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    21
    Posts
    520
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    They could still draft reggie bush there is a 1 in 23 chance!

  12. #12
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Yeah but do you want all these crappy teams moving up along the years after getting so many draft picks?

    I mean think about it, in a few years we're going to be worried about playing the *****.

  13. #13
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    Colts would have a 1 in 23 chance of getting the first pick, just like almost all of the other teams.
    Wouldn't it be 1 in 40 (1 team x 4 balls + 2 x 3 + 1 x 2 +28 x 1 = 40)? I wouldn't want to see it either. One team could get screwed on draft picks for a number of years for no other reason than dumb luck. At least the way it is right now, as a fan you're probably either excited about the draft and worried about the upcoming season or vice versa.

  14. #14
    Revelstoke's Avatar
    Revelstoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    The colts wouldnt get 40 balls, the teams with the worst records are given better odds with two, three, or four more balls, while the better records are given one or two balls,

    so the odds still very heavily favor the wost records in th league.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

  15. #15
    Revelstoke's Avatar
    Revelstoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What I would like to see for Drafts.

    Here this isnt a great amount of detail, its from Bob
    McKenzie, sort of outlines the NHL system

    Interesting NHL lottery at best

    3/22/2006

    "The highlight of last summer, aside from the end of the NHL lockout, was unquestionably the draft lottery.

    You remember the excitement, don't you?

    All 30 NHL franchises had a chance at getting the No. 1 overall pick and the right to draft Sidney Crosby.

    It was a dramatic made-for-TV moment that captivated the entire hockey world. And, of course, the Pittsburgh Penguins prevailed in the tense ceremony in New York City.

    As far as this year's draft lottery is concerned, we return you to our regularly-scheduled programming, which is to suggest the old format is in place.

    Rest assured, there won't be any reality TV shows built around it.

    Aa some point in the playoffs, the 14 non-playoff teams will get their shot at "winning the lottery" but the connotation is a lot different this year for a myriad of reasons.

    For starters, the "winner" of the draft lottery cannot move up more than four places, so in order for a team to get the No. 1 overall pick through the lottery it would have to be amongst the five worst teams in the league at the end of the regular season.

    As fate would have it, Pittsburgh has a good shot at getting the first pick again.

    The Penguins are currently at the bottom of the NHL heap and it's not likely they're going to pass St. Louis, Chicago, Washington and Columbus, the other teams that should round out the group of five with some shot at No. 1 overall.

    The odds of the last place team, in this case Pittsburgh, winning the lottery are 25 per cent.

    The next team, say St. Louis, would have an 18.8 per cent chance, followed by Chicago at 14.2 per cent, Washington at 10.7 per cent and Columbus at 8.1 per cent.

    Now, there is a 75 per cent chance some team other than Pittsburgh wins the lottery, but it's about 50-50 whether the team that wins it is in the bottom five and, therefore, able to knock Pittsburgh from the No. 1 spot.

    The other reason there's less drama this time around is the lack of a superstar consensus No. 1 pick.

    Big U.S. defenceman Erik Johnson is a blue chipper and a veritable stud on the blueline, but it's not even guaranteed he's going No. 1 overall. There's a lot of competition from Phil Kessel and Jonathan Toews.

    So this year's draft lottery will be interesting, which should not be confused with exciting.

    Unless of course, you're one of the NHL's bottom feeders."
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •