Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

What is most misunderstood by fans

We as fans think we have a clue about what goes on inside a locker room, the draft war room, in the huddle, on the field, etc. However, the more I listen to players on sports talk radio the more I realize we don't have a figgin clue what's happening in these areas.

Most players say the locker room isn't important but boy all the talking heads who never played tell us it is. Most of us think that mentoring goes on but ask Brett Favre to do it and he'll say hell no, no one did it for me. Some think Bulger doesn't have leadership skills but listen to Rams players and they tell you different. What do you think is the part of the game that we as fans misunderstand most?
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-10-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Extracting Terrell Owens from the equation

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: What is most misunderstood by fans

The fact that the players win and lose games. Not the refs and not the coach. Oh....and that every team, at one time or another, has tried to gain an edge by stealing signals.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

As fans we can't grasp how much these people actually make for a living doing something they love....

How this thread got derailed after the initial post is beyond me. Why they make so much money is easy. It's fans like us who watch them week in and week out on tv and in person.

Now, we return you back to the main theme of the thread
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-10-2009 at 10:16 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Most players say T.O. wasn't a bad seed in the locker room
    What else would they say?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    What else would they say?
    Well, that's true but does that automatically make T.O. guilty? Most players will say the locker room is overblown. Golic on Mike and Mike says it all the time. Golic said that most players don't care what you do in the locker room as long as you play hard on the field. No one can say T.O. doesn't play hard on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, that's true but does that automatically make T.O. guilty? Most players will say the locker room is overblown. Golic on Mike and Mike says it all the time. Golic said that most players don't care what you do in the locker room as long as you play hard on the field. No one can say T.O. doesn't play hard on the field.
    And most players probably don't care. But how many that DO does it take to make a bad situation? And Steve Young, who has spent some time in a lockerroom disagrees. When asked about what type of team would get the most from TO, he didn't discuss schemes or on-field personell. He said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Young
    That team has to be really mature in the locker room
    Just one man's opinion, but that is quite an opinion. Why would the whiners trade him? Why did the Ravens (via whiners) trade him? Why did the Eagles release him? Why did the Cowboys release him?

If it is all about on-field production and the sideshow doesn't matter, why do these teams keep showing him the door?

The Cowboys had a choice between keeping TO or taking a $9 mil cap hit. They chose the $9 mil cap hit!

The Redskins who have never met an A-list free agent they didn't want, didn't want him!

I like how Bruce Arthur of National Post put it when describing why Buffalo would sign him....
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    this is like a idle housewife deciding that in order to break up the endless monotony, she will start dating a serial killer. Sure, it'll probably end badly, but at least she won't be bored.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

But we digress, I am not trying to make this another T.O. thread.

awww, forget it. Sometimes, threads just have a way of morphing.

But we digress, I am not trying to make this another T.O. thread.

awww, forget it. Sometimes, threads just have a way of morphing.

I certainly don't mean to derail. Actually, I thought we were back on track. Isn't the thread about whether or not Owens' presence is a factor to team production?

Nope, it's about we as fans weigh stuff we think is important when in actuality it may not be.

Just offseason fodder. I don't care. Post whatever anyone wants to here.

Hey, how about those St. Louis Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Nope, it's about we as fans weigh stuff we think is important when in actuality it may not be.
    Hmm, okay. Well then, I guess I agree. We fans do find significance in insignificant notions sometimes.

I just disagree with Owens as being an example of that.

Extract Owens from my thread.....now is the locker room that important? Let's look at Terrell Owens and Kurt Warner's presence in the locker room and throw them out of our equation because not every team has that amount of cancer and that amount of goodness in it. They are extraneous to the formula.

Another misconception by the fans...."you don't lose your job to injury".

Oh yea? Ask Trent Green.and Drew Bledsoe
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We as fans think we have a clue about what goes on inside a locker room, the draft war room, in the huddle, on the field, etc. However, the more I listen to players on sports talk radio the more I realize we don't have a figgin clue what's happening in these areas.

Most players say the locker room isn't important but boy all the talking heads who never played tell us it is. Most of us think that mentoring goes on but ask Brett Favre to do it and he'll say hell no, no one did it for me. Some think Bulger doesn't have leadership skills but listen to Rams players and they tell you different. What do you think is the part of the game that we as fans misunderstand most?
    First of all I'm not surprised when players are interviewed by the media that they don't do any bashing of teammates. I also think that the locker room chemistry is very important. Use the Patriots as an example. They have brought in more than 1 player that had some previous negative baggage.
    In the majority of cases those players have fallen in line and played very well for the Pats. Why? Because the veterans in their locker room demand it.

I think that us the fans don't have a handle on exactly what is going on both on the field and on the sidelines. There's a ton of preparation before every game and only the coaches and players know what the schemes are.

Slug is offline Registered User

At FedEx it's "How to shut the hell up on offense". Our stadium is too damn big. ~93,000. Too many seats means too many tickets which means too many casual fans attending games. Amidst the hardcore 'Skins fans you have guys in cardigans with Virginia Tech baseball caps who are just there for the outing of it more than the game, or whole rows of opposing team fans who are able to get tickets because of all the StubHub/TicketMaster partnerships the team has because of the size of the place. The result is cases where Jason Campbell actually has to go into a silent snap count..AT HOME. The team even implemented a "SHHHHHHHHH!!" that plays over the loudspeaker before offensive plays. It's embarrassing, honestly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast