Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

what team will vick play for next?

Vick will never play for the falcons again. I am very sure of that. Assume for purposes of this thread that i am correct and that atlanta is done with him. Further assume that he "finds religion" or otherwise publicly apologizes and swears off dog fighting and animal abuse, maybe even makes a donation to the aspca.

What teams are most likely to sign him?

Jacksonville, tampa bay are my suggestions. I dont see either team having a real qb of the future and jacksonville is desparate to sell tickets. I dont see the raiders as an option, although that historically would be the choice.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: what team will vick play for next?

The Fighting Felons of Cell Block B in the Georgia Correctional Facility intr-mural league?

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Historically? I don't understand, the Raiders have a history of signing Michael Vick? Or signing troubled players? Or Running backs that play too close to Center? Anywho The Raiders won't, they signed Culpepper and drafted Russell I seriously doubt they have any need to sign a $50 million dollar deal with Vick so he can play third string. Tampa won't they ran out of numbers to give quarterbacks... Jacksonville might, if this situation happens during the season. In the offseason I think the Jags draft one, provided neither of their current QBs have a good season.

The Vikings could look real hard at Vick. That have no WR, a good ground game and a good line, it being Atlanta in purple on offense. If Eli Manning can't put together decent season, from start to finish I could see New York trying to get him. Same deal with Dallas, if Tony Romo is still "that" Tony Romo I don't think Jerry Jones would be afraid to interview Vick.

moklerman is offline Registered User

If Roger Goodell's still in charge if/when Vick comes back from suspension I think he may have to play in Canada. Since Vick's technically only been in trouble with the law once he might get a second chance but I think Roger's pissed that Vick lied to him back in (I think) April. So much of what the NFL is about is image and public relations so if Vick is found guilty on any level of abusing/killing animals I don't think it will matter when he comes back. No team will take that poison pill in my opinion.

But, aside from all of that, just picking a potential NFL team to take him...San Francisco. If anyone's going to be sympathetic to a federally probed player I think DeBartalo's ex-team would be the place. Or Dallas. I see Romo being around a little longer than Alex Smith talent-wise though.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Is this also assuming he only spends his one year suspension and not a longer prison term? Cause things will obviously be different in 5 years vs next year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

First of all, vick is going to plead guilty and serve no more than 6 months in jail at the max. Second, historically, the raiders have signed troubled players more than any other franchise in the nfl. Of course it wont be them because of russell. Vikings are a major long shot, they have tavaris jackson, their #2 pick last year, who shows some promise and thats an organization that has had major issues with bad behavior players, i doubt that they go that route.

I hadnt thought of the giants because they are into eli manning for a fortune and i dont see them giving up on that in the next year. SF is also into alex smith for big money. Romo is going to sign a long term contract.

At the end of the day, it has to be a team that has an opening, in addition to a team that is willing to take the risk.

Tampa has no long term solution at qb. Jacksonville doesnt either. Drafting a qb wont help jacksonville with their attendance issues and they have a decent team notwithstanding the fact that they are missing a qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I bet he goes to Cleveland. I can hear all the "VICK" chanting from the Dawg Pou.........wait a minute. Scratch that, it won't be Cleveland.

Seriously, Jax and TB are both good choices. I wouldn't cross out the Redskins or Vikes, or Panthers either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Detroit would be an interest choice. Although, I'm not sure if mad Mike could alter his play calling enough to work with a Vick type QB.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He'd do well in the CFL.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He'd do well in the CFL.
    Totally agree with this statement. With it's extra long and wide field, the CFL is tailor-made for a guy like The Vickster. That way Mikey can eschew learning any of the offense and just do what he does best, run around and play street ball.

WHAT SAY YE?

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I bet he goes to Cleveland. I can hear all the "VICK" chanting from the Dawg Pou.........wait a minute. Scratch that, it won't be Cleveland.
    LOL nice.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO, anything short of an acquittal ends Vick's NFL career. If he pleads or is found guilty, he'll be way too radioactive for any NFL team to touch. People and animal rights groups take what he did very seriously and would be relentless in their pressure on any club that gave him a shot. Seriously relentless.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Post Re: what team will vick play for next?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    First of all, vick is going to plead guilty and serve no more than 6 months in jail at the max.
    Plead guilty on all counts after he already lied? Plead guilty on gambling? Plead guilty on a felony of dogfighting? He can't change his story now. The NFL takes gambling very seriously. He's going to be suspended either way, the evidence against him is overwhelming, Goodell is pissed, he's not gonna let Vick come back so soon/get off the hook.

Seriously, Jax and TB are both good choices. I wouldn't cross out the Redskins or Vikes, or Panthers either.
    I would cross out the Panthers, they are confident with the guys they have.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    If Roger Goodell's still in charge if/when Vick comes back from suspension I think he may have to play in Canada. Since Vick's technically only been in trouble with the law once he might get a second chance but I think Roger's pissed that Vick lied to him back in (I think) April. So much of what the NFL is about is image and public relations so if Vick is found guilty on any level of abusing/killing animals I don't think it will matter when he comes back. No team will take that poison pill in my opinion.

But, aside from all of that, just picking a potential NFL team to take him...San Francisco. If anyone's going to be sympathetic to a federally probed player I think DeBartalo's ex-team would be the place. Or Dallas. I see Romo being around a little longer than Alex Smith talent-wise though.
    I agree with moklerman, he will probably be suspeneded/go to Canada. Though I doubt he would end up with the niners.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Is this also assuming he only spends his one year suspension and not a longer prison term? Cause things will obviously be different in 5 years vs next year.
    Yeah, true. Vick is definitely serving a long-term sentence (UNLESS they let him get off the hook like athletes do, again, but I don't see that happening so much so this time). You guys have to remember he pled not guilty and the amount of evidence against him is overwhelming, it spans over years (assuming again that he really did run "Bad Newz Kennels"), he's going to have a tough time dealing with that, (phone records, accounts, etc.) not to mention all the other defendants are turning their backs on him; he'll have a tough time destroying their credibilty while saving his own skin at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Detroit would be an interest choice. Although, I'm not sure if mad Mike could alter his play calling enough to work with a Vick type QB.

Actually, Detroit would be interesting, they could have a dual threat. But honestly, I highly doubt he would go there

itsguud is offline Registered User

Nuts you got to say it before I seen the topic. I'd call out the Skins also, I don't have much faith in Campbell and Brunell is over the hill.

NYG - Eli is still being idolized for the merits his brother obtains and won't be there after this season when they don't make the playoffs.

Oak - always a possibility, they love black/mobile QBs and aren't afraid to bring practice into the yard

Ten - After Young goes down with a severe injury based on the Madden curse this year they will be desparate and having developed around a scrambling QB vick would be the perfect replacement.

SF - Alex Smith is like rolling a dice odds aren't good for him to win much more then a few games. But SF will stick with him for another couple of years.

TB - how many ex-starters can one team have at a time... must be some sort of limit

Jac - maybe... maybe not, they'll draft one instead

Final destination - CFL so I can watch him play!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Re: what team will vick play for next?

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Ten - After Young goes down with a severe injury based on the Madden curse this year they will be desparate and having developed around a scrambling QB vick would be the perfect replacement.

Final destination - CFL so I can watch him play!
    CFL lol. That would be crazy to have Vick and Young on the same team, but I don't think Young will be hurt. I believe in the Madden curse, but Young is a curse-breaker, he has already done that a couple times with SI. I like Vince, he's extremely talented; though I hope the curse doesn't take him as it has to so many before him. I mean, he already got suspended for a preseason game for going to his own house to sleep?!?!:O

EDIT: yes I do not think Vick is going to Tenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast