general counsel is offline Registered User

where will schaub wind up?

where is the logical landing ground next year for matt schaub, who is an unrestricted free agent. Personally, i would take schaub over brady quinn and i cant believe that the falcons didnt take a #1 when they had a chance last year when they knew that there was no way that they could keep him long term unless vick got hurt this year. Talk about an extremely conservative hedge!

I think schaub is terrific. I think the dirty birds would be a better team with him at qb than the middle finger pointing overated scatterarmed vick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: where will schaub wind up?

Schaub will be a restricted free agent after this season, so the Falcons can still put a high tender on him - likely the first and third round option. It would be hard to see any team meeting that kind of offer, though teams like Carolina and Baltimore may examine such an option as there's speculation that both may be willing to take a QB in the first round.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

How about the Browns? Or you never know, the Giants? Eli is the fair haired boy in NY that is failing right now.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

The Falcons will trade Vick then give Schaub an extension. If they don't do that then I can see the Lions, Eagles, or Vikings making a serious run for him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    The Falcons will trade Vick
    Not very likely. He's signed a ten-year deal in late 2004 that was worth over $100 million. I would imagine the cap hit from trading or cutting Vick would be astronomical.

If they don't do that then I can see the Lions, Eagles, or Vikings making a serious run for him.

As for the teams that have been mentioned, both the Browns and Giants feel like they have their QB of the future. Neither Frye nor Manning are playing well right now but I don't think either franchise is going to give up a first rounder for another signal caller, no way.

The Lions need a QB but have too high a first rounder to send it for Schaub in an offer sheet. A trade could be worked out for something, but if you're going to acquire a QB, why not just take Quinn at the top of the first? The Vikes drafted their QB of the future in last year's second round, so they're out. I'm not sure why the Eagles would need to spend a lot to acquire a guy who would still be a back-up in Philly, either. .

I think teams that would consider going after Matt Schaub would be Carolina and Baltimore, who both need QBs to groom and both have relatively lower draft picks. The Buccaneers are an interesting destination as well, but they wouldn't sign him to an offer sheet because they wouldn't want to give that pick up, I wouldn't think. Don't rule out Oakland either, because the Raiders could try to work out something involving both Schaub and Randy Moss, who is out of favor with the Raiders. A deal that involves Schaub/Moss would give Vick a receiver that actually has some talent and the Raiders an actual QB to build for the future with.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!