throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Who is the #1 RB in the NFL today?

Quote Originally Posted by Seehawkrun
    I don't get why everyone in the world is calling Alexander the #2 and LT is #1. Honestly, LT is great, but what is this ranking system based on? Yards? Advantage: Alexander. TDs? Advantage: Alexander. What about last season's numbers? Same, both in favor of Alexander. Plus, the guy has had fewer carries and averages more yards per carry.

So, um...yeah LT is the #2 in my honest opinion. I am a 'Hawks fan, but I seriously don't understand how the guy with all the best stats in the league is constantly being called the second best back. Explain?
    This appears to be a potentially good discussion for the NFL board, so here we go........who is the best RB in the game today?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Who is the #1 RB in the NFL today?

LT.

There's nothing wrong with being #2, Hawk fans.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Seehawkrun Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    LT.

There's nothing wrong with being #2, Hawk fans.

That's the thing. I'm not whining about #2. I just want to know why everyone thinks LT is #1 when the stats indicate otherwise.

I don't get how all the media folk and all the fans just say that LT is the best without anything to back it up. Why is he the best? Because some guy on TV said so?

Obviously not because he has more yards or touchdowns or player of the week awards or 100 yard games. He doesn't. Not in his career or this season.

Or last season.

So, why the obligatory #1 next to his name?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

L.T. can do it all. He is without a doubt the best all around RB in the NFL, who can to not only run, but catch and pass with equal proficiency. He's caught 100 passes in a season and this year he's 3-3 with 3 touchdowns passing. Alexander is a great back, but he doesn't compare to the overall abilities of L.T.

I just want to know why everyone thinks LT is #1 when the stats indicate otherwise.
    The stats also say Ben Roethlisberger is the best QB in the league and Drew Bledsoe is in the top five. That doesn't mean I believe that to be true.

When I watch LT, I see a faster, more explosive, more ellusive running back who is just as effective as a receiver as he is a runner. He is, in my opinion, the most complete back in the NFL right now.

I would also contend that of the top four running backs in the league right now, he is running behind the worst offensive line of the four, yet is still having an amazing year.

Those are my reasons as to why I think Tomlinson is the best back. If you disagree, fine. No one has to agree on everything.

But please, don't imply that because we disagree with you, we're sheep for what's said on television.

general counsel is offline Registered User

For one thing, i think seattle has a better offensive line than san diego and a better qb. I think those factors contribute to the stats. I think alexander is just fantastic, but i do like LT a bit better.

I will say this. If i was an eagles fan, and i left 10 million of cap on the table when alexander was available for a #3 draft pick, seeing myself dead last in the nfl in rushing right now, i would sure be pissed off. I think paying alexander 17 million up front will bite you in the butt cap wise 3 or 4 years down the road, but for now, he is truly a guy that can move the needle especially when you are that close to winning it all. I think he is a HUGE step up from westbrook, especially durability wise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawk fan
    Obviously not because he has more yards
    This isn't true. LT has more yards than SA.

I appreciate all the home cookin from the Seattle guy, but LT is easily the best back playing today. A back has to do more than run the ball these days, he's gotta catch it too. Since 2001, LT has 9020 all-purpose yards, SA has 7873. In the past two years, LT has 2875 yards, SA has 2847. This year LT has 1099 yards, SA has 981. SA has a better line in front of him than LT as well. And to top it off, LT is 2 years younger than SA.

SA is great, but LT is better.
    Last edited by Roy G. Biv; -11-07-2005 at 02:38 PM.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

To be the best back in the league I believe you carry the load for a good team. In my opinion that IS LT, hands down.

The Hawks would be fine without SA. The Bolts need LT to be effective.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think Alexander suffers from what might be termed "Vince Carter syndrome." He puts up great numbers, but there's a perception that he doesn't come through when the game is on the line or when the games really matter. Fair or not, that's the perception.

I think LT is the best back because of his all-around skills. He's like Marshall Faulk was in the GSOT days. Tiki Barber's actually not far behind in that category.

I also think that things can change very quickly when it comes to top RBs. In two years, we may be talking about Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush as the cream of the crop.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Michael Vick

Seehawkrun Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv
    This isn't true. LT has more yards than SA.

I appreciate all the home cookin from the Seattle guy, but LT is easily the best back playing today. A back has to do more than run the ball these days, he's gotta catch it too. Since 2001, LT has 9020 all-purpose yards, SA has 7873. In the past two years, LT has 2875 yards, SA has 2847. This year LT has 1099 yards, SA has 981. SA has a better line in front of him than LT as well. And to top it off, LT is 2 years younger than SA.

SA is great, but LT is better.
    So how come when I click the lil "stats" button on NFL. com it brings me to this page?

(sorry, can't post links yet for some reason)

It would appear that Alexander has more yards than LT. I could be wrong, but I'm just going by what the official site says. And he certainly does have more TDs when, if you think about, is really a more important stat anyway. As great as LT is, as complete as he is, he doesn't have the same production as SA, plain and simple. Where did you get your stats from?

And it should be noted: Alexander and the Seahawks have played one fewer game than the Chargers, and SA STILL has better stats. (Chargers don't have their bye until next Sunday)

It would appear that Alexander has more yards than LT.
    Rushing yards, yes. Total yards, no.

And he certainly does have more TDs when, if you think about, is really a more important stat anyway.
    LT has 15 total touchdowns this season. Alexander, 14.

As great as LT is, as complete as he is, he doesn't have the same production as SA, plain and simple. Where did you get your stats from?
    NFL.com, ESPN.com.

And it should be noted: Alexander and the Seahawks have played one fewer game than the Chargers, and SA STILL has better stats. (Chargers don't have their bye until next Sunday)
    And LT has been playing tougher opponents with a less talented line in front of him.

Seehawkrun Guest

As far as adding recieving stats to rushing stats. IN Seattle's offense, SA is not used as a reciever. He's part of a balanced attack rather than the only way to put points on the board like LT is in SD. So, yeah, when you're talking total yards LT has a small edge over SA. But Alexander consistently puts up better rushing numbers as seen by the total rushing yards and yards per carry stat.

I can see the point that LT is a very complete back. At least, I have a better understanding why so many people are so high on him.

He's part of a balanced attack rather than the only way to put points on the board like LT is in SD.
    LT isn't the only way SD puts points on the board. San Diego has two players tied for second in the league in receiving touchdowns (McCardell and Gates). That looks like a balanced attack to me. Meanwhile, only one Seattle receiver has over three touchdown catches, and that's Jurevicius. How is that a balanced attack?

But Alexander consistently puts up better rushing numbers as seen by the total rushing yards and yards per carry stat.
    Okay. And if we were still in a time when all a running back had to do was run, then maybe he'd be considered the best. But in today's game, the complete package wins out, IMO.

Seehawkrun Guest

[QUOTE=NickSeiler]LT isn't the only way SD puts points on the board. San Diego has two players tied for second in the league in receiving touchdowns (McCardell and Gates). That looks like a balanced attack to me. Meanwhile, only one Seattle receiver has over three touchdown catches, and that's Jurevicius. How is that a balanced attack? QUOTE]

I don't know. What would you call an offense that's been missing both #1 and #2 recievers and still manages to be the NFL's top rated offense week in and week out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast