ramhard is offline Registered User

Why I never complain about players holdout! Walker

Javon Walker wanted a new contract in the fourth year of a five year contract. Brett Favre publicly chastized him and urged him into camp. He came into camp and now tore his ACL. He probably never will see the big bonus and guaranteed money... I wonder if Brett will spot him a few million?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Why I never complain about players holdout! Walker

So true. That really sucks for Walker. Favre should mind his own buisness. Why is Favre such a media darling anyways, the guys admits that he didnt prepare like he should to play the last 2 seasons and he is still a hero. Now I dont agree with Owens or Moss's antics but at least they are prepared to play. If either one of them said they didnt prepare to play they would get roasted in the media. I guess I'm saying that Favre should be roasted in the media for being addicted to painkillers and also for not preparing to play the last 2 seasons, but of course he is a hero. Let's ask Javon Walker if Favre is a hero.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Why does a player who is under contract deserve a new contract?

Had he pouted his way to a big signing bonus, he would have received money that he might never earn.

Why is that favorable?

Every player that steps on the field risks major injury - does that mean they should all hold out?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    Why does a player who is under contract deserve a new contract?
    EXACTLY!!!

This is the question that underlies all these hold-outs to me. Every man that ever signed a NFL contract knew when he put pen to paper the risks involved. Nothing was undisclosed to Walker when he signed that contract. What makes him think that he has the right to not fulfill his contract?

But the team can cut him, why can't he hold out? ------- Because when he signed the contract, he KNEW the team had the right to cut him. If he wants a guaranteed contract system, he can either take it up with the union, or learn to play baseball.

But he signed a contract to play as a #2, not the #1 receiver. ----- No, actually he signed a contract to play football for the team he signed with. I highly doubt there is anything in his contract that says it's null and void if he is the premier reciever on the team. If he has a problem with that then he should have looked for an incentive-laden contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

But her's another thing..would he have hurt that particular muscle if he had the time on TC to stretch it out? To get it in shape. That is why I am against hold-outs. It doesn't allow the player enough time to get in shape.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    But her's another thing..would he have hurt that particular muscle if he had the time on TC to stretch it out? To get it in shape. That is why I am against hold-outs. It doesn't allow the player enough time to get in shape.
    He didnt hurt a muscle as you said he tore a ligament in his knee. Training camp wouldnt have helped him prevent tearing a ligament.