throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moklerman Guest

Re: This is why you don't draft DeSean Jackson

I don't see your point.
    My point is, for ANY receiver to do well in Philadelphia is noteworthy at this point. For whatever reason, WR's don't do well there. TO did and Curtis had some success but for a rookie to come in and be a difference maker this early in his career means, to me, that he's got some real game.

Looking at what he's done so far and looking at what the Rams have, I think it's a decent bet that he would have cracked the lineup in St. Louis even with a different system, etc.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

for a rookie to come in and be a difference maker this early in his career means, to me, that he's got some real game.
    It tells me he's played half his career against a 5'9" Corner with mental issues and the other half against a defense that stuffs the run well enough to force teams to pass 60% of their downs.
    Last edited by HUbison; -09-18-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RedArcher7 Guest

5'9" Corner with mental issues
    Really? Pacman Jones is only 5'9?

The only reason Jackson has as much playing time as he does is because the starters in Philly are out. Bennett may be out now, but Jackson still wouldn't see the ball as much. And besides, Eddie Royal is having just as good of a year as Jackson is. Are you saying we should have taken him in the second?

Really? Pacman Jones is only 5'9?
    No, but Tye Hill is.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RedArcher7 Guest

I know that's a joke, get it? Pacman....mental issues....you'll get that one on the way back to the car

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    I know that's a joke, get it? Pacman....mental issues....you'll get that one on the way back to the car
    Oh I got it.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    My point is, for ANY receiver to do well in Philadelphia is noteworthy at this point.
    I don't think anyone is trying to take Jackson's production away from him. But the point I don't see is your contention that Jackson would have a much better chance of producing if he were a Ram because he's on the field.

Aside from the fact that I'm still not sure what you mean when you say he's on the field, Jackson is starting in Philly because both Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis have been injured. The Rams, however, still have their #1 receiver in Holt on the field. With Bennett injured, Jackson might have been able to crack the starting line-up, but he wouldn't be the top option like he currently is in Philly so I doubt he would be as productive.

Because of injury to two starters, Jackson has had an opportunity to shine in Philly. Bennett's injury may have allowed Jackson to crack the starting line-up (if Avery had been healthy through camp and during Week One, maybe he could have as well), but he wouldn't be getting the same attention as the top target in Philly's offense as he would here. Therefore, it's unlikely he'd be as productive as a Ram as he presently is as an Eagle.

Also, when it comes to receivers in Philly, I think they're more than capable of doing well if they have the talent. As you pointed out, TO did very well there and Curtis broke 1,000 yards. Your phrasing makes it sound like talented receivers can't produce there for some reason, but I don't think that's accurate. Rather, I just don't think they have (or had) any talented receivers there. When they get a talented one (TO, Curtis, perhaps now Jackson), they tend to produce.

moklerman Guest

(if Avery had been healthy through camp and during Week One, maybe he could have as well)
    Sorry to be more vague than I had intended but you got to my point and I realized a better way to have said what I meant. Jackson has been healthy and was able to take advantage of playing time when it presented itself. Eddie Royal has too. Both of those guys look good enough to make me ponder whether or not they would have been better choices than Avery. With the injury to Bennett, Avery could well be taking the same kind of advantage but I really don't know what his deal is. I'm assuming he's still not physically ready but he had other question marks when he was drafted so maybe they're part of the problem as well.

The one thing I do know is, a real burner that could run good routes and catch the ball is exactly what Bulger and his porous o-line could benefit from. Especially if coverage is rolling Holt's way. I'd bet my last button that Dane Looker isn't keeping Jim Johnson up at night. He's a solid player but nothing more. At this point, Bennett, even when healthy, is a one on one matchup for the defense. Hall is a joke and a shell of his former self. His speed should be paying dividends but he can't catch and from all indications his time at WR is hurting his return game.

Back to Jackson for a minute, I still think it's pretty impressive for an unheralded rookie to come in to Philly and put up good numbers. He's getting #1 looks but he's also getting #1 coverage to go with it if that's the case. I don't really like the idea of Philly having a quality #2 to compliment Curtis if/when he gets back this year but Jackson(and Royal) have given everyone something to sink their teeth into. Avery hasn't. Guys now producing in the NFL are going to sway my opinion more than a guy drafted primarily for his speed with size issues that subsequently didn't make it through his first training camp healthy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12