AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Will Hawks Be Done In By Sisyphus or Prometheus Syndrome, or Both?

The trend is undeniable.

For each of the past several years, the team that lost the Super Bowl failed to make the playoffs in the year that followed. Most failed to reach .500.

Coincidence? I think not. I offer two "syndromes" that can explain this phenomenon.

The Sisyphus Syndrome
    You start the season in July/August training camps. Labor through the hot Summer 2-a-days. Battle through preseason then a 17 game schedule. Fight through the playoffs. The boulder is near the summit and then.... just like that... its back at the bottom. Heart and emotion contribute to success or failure, no doubt. So, perhaps its hard to make the journey again so soon.

The Prometheus Syndrome
    When you compete with Gods, you end up tied to a rock, waiting for the scavengers to pick away at your liver. Players who might have gone unnoticed in the free agent market or, at least, would not have been primary targets of rivals, suddenly are being signed away. That's what happens when you play with fire.

So, which will do in the latest runner-ups, the Seahawks?

Maybe, a bit of both. As hard as it is to see the boulder roll back down the hill after you spent all year pushing it up, it must be that much harder when the perception is that the hand that pushed the boulder down the hill wore a black and white striped sleeve.

The vultures are also circling. They've already picked off some small pieces, and the big ones (Hutchinson, Barnard) are likely to follow.

I'm sure the Hawk fans think their team will break the trend, but... well, perhaps that's just their collective Narcissus Syndrome talking.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Will Hawks Be Done In By Sisyphus or Prometheus Syndrome, or Both?

A friend of mine tells me a large dose of penicellin will take care of that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Um... that would be Syphilus Syndrome, not Sisyphus Syndrome. LOL

Though both could derail a good football team (insert Ron Mexico joke here).

Anyway, HU... might want to stay away from that "friend."

Anyway... HUbison and I will be back for our next show at 7:00. Remember to tip your waitresses and try the veal!

Football talk, classical mythology references, and a comedy act... what more could you want from a Rams message board?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Clanram........it was much better than "Cats"; I'll go again and again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod