Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: will warner make the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Good points GC.

HUb you may not buy that standards change but they do, like it or not. You can't just automatically put Warner in because Namath is in, and kicking people out isn't the answer either. Eras change, better players come along and raise the bar. That's just how it is.

Look, all Rams fans love Warner for what he did, but he didn't do it long enough to get him into the HoF. That's the bottom line.
    Oh I know it'll never change. Mine isn't a statement of change. Mine is a statement of the HOF's irrelevance. Joe Namath and Michael Irvin are simply not Hall of Famers.

However, since my opinion and (insert current price of coffee) will get you a cup of coffee, Mr. Namath and Mr. Irvin shouldn't worry about having their busts removed from Canton. That will not stop me from griping about it when the topic comes up though.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

the namath comparison is very interesting, i think the fact that Warner took a 4-12 team and took them to a SB and won far outweighs what Namath did with his SB prediction and victory, i still think warner will come up short and not get in unless something crazy happens with another team,remember he is Kurt Warner and it'e not out of the question. i think if he could have reached 30,000 yards and 200 td's then he would have made it in.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, unfortunately, Namath is not the measuring barometer. If it was, so many other QB's would have got in also. Namath had NY in his back pocket when he played, and he did something first for the AFL: win the Super Bowl. That win got him in.

Hey, he wore Ram colors for a moment didn't he?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I say yes, he does get in, but it will take a while. I mean, how can you not let a QB with TWO NFL MVPs, a Superbowl MVP and ring, a Superbowl record for passing yards (414), the NFL's highest completion percentage for a career, a guy who had one of the best 3-year-runs ever in? The list could go on and on with all of Warner's accomplishments.

I think he has the awards and numbers (numbers are not as high as others, but the HoF will also judge how you changed the game, and Warner and that Rams offense CHANGED how defenses played against them) to have a ballot that is very considerable.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I really don't see any realistic way that Warner makes it. He doesn't have the all-time career numbers, the career longevity, and though he does have a ring, I think he'd have to have a couple to make it in with his statistical résumé.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

For those of you who don't like the Namath HOF comparison, how about the great Gale Sayers? He was in the NFL a total of 7 years, played a complete season only 3 times and played in 2 games each of his last 2 years. He rushed for over a 1,000 yards twice and scored 10 or more touchdowns twice during his career. His total numbers were very mediocre, he never played in the post season, but was recognized as a great player whose career was cut short by injury and made the Hall.

There are numerous other examples of players having relatively short careers, but still being voted into the HOF. There is no doubt in my mind that standards for election have changed and Kurt Warner will suffer because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Namath had a gimmick. He was the Southern hillbilly in the Northern city.
    Actually HUb, Namath was from Beaver Falls Pa., right outside of Pittsburgh.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I doubt it. As everyone has already pointed out, he just didn't have enough years at the top. I think the Terrell Davis analogy is pretty on spot. Davis also had just a few years at the top and won a Super Bowl, but he got the injury bug. I think the same arguments will be made, but in the end it just won't be quite enough.

marccat is offline Registered User

Yeah Joe Willy played in the big A and it was painful to see. Watchin' him hobble was sad and if it wasnt for our all pro O line ...I,ll tell ya the man could sling that ball and was a competitor for real. IMO he gave the AFL validity and did as much as any player to make pro football a game not just played by mindless thugs. Basicaly he got Joe 6 packs ole lady interested in the game ect... Any way ,Warner wont get in but his SB rec. 414yds game 275 1st half will not be touched in my lifetime!!! And thats a Ram thing dont cha' know- thanks Kurt!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Actually HUb, Namath was from Beaver Falls Pa., right outside of Pittsburgh.
    I'll take your word for it. I just assumed he was from Alabama. Not much of a difference though. I've always heard that Pennsylvania is just Alabama with Pitt on one end and Philly on the other.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'll take your word for it. I just assumed he was from Alabama. Not much of a difference though. I've always heard that Pennsylvania is just Alabama with Pitt on one end and Philly on the other.
    Joe Willy, one of the many NFL QB's from the "cradle of quarterbacks" area of Western Pennsylvania. Let's just call him a "Northern hillbilly".

marccat is offline Registered User

played Bear Bryant ball at bama. had every QB rec. there till a kid out of Louisiana came in named Snake Stabler. ya'll takin' me back

baer

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant
    I say he gets in. maybe not first ballot. be he will eventualy get in. imo
    the guy deserves it. that is why i said he will. if you were elected in by your pure goodness,he would be the first one in.
    ok ok ok. in reality he probably won't get in, but i have no doubt that in 03 if he would have started every game instead of being benched by martz he would have lead us to a superbowl again.]
    All I have to say, is that he will get in. IMO I believe he will and that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter how, or when you get in. it just matters that you do.
    Dude, you sound like a politician.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    All I have to say, is that he will get in. IMO I believe he will and that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter how, or when you get in. it just matters that you do.

Go Warner!!!
    Warner is already in, there are highlights of every Super Bowl at the HOF. However, neither Warner or tx will have a bust in the HOF (unless ClanRam gets in there somehow). The only difference Warner will have over average Joe fan is that he probably won't have to pay to get in.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Best known for his stint with the St. Louis Rams from 1998 to 2003, where he won two NFL MVP awards in 1999 and 2001, as well as the Super Bowl MVP award in the Rams victory in Super Bowl XXXIV. Warner also led the Rams to Super Bowl XXXVI. Warner holds two Super Bowl records: most passing yards (414), and most pass attempts without an interception (45). Warner is the third-highest rated quarterback in NFL history (93.8 career rating), trailing only Steve Young and Peyton Manning. He also holds the distinction of being the most accurate quarterback in NFL history, with a career completion percentage of 65.6%.

1999 Season
    Warner was the backup quarterback for the St. Louis Rams during the 1999 preseason. When starting quarterback Trent Green was injured in a preseason game, Warner took over as the starter. With the support of running back Marshall Faulk and wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, Warner completed one of the top seasons by a quarterback in NFL history by throwing for 4353 yards with 41 touchdown passes and a completion rate of 65.1%. He was named the 1999 NFL MVP at the season's end.

With a high-powered offense nicknamed "The Greatest Show on Turf," Warner became the symbol of the Rams' turnaround in 1999. The offense registered the first in a string of three consecutive 500-point seasons, an NFL record.

In the NFL playoffs, Warner led the Rams to a Super Bowl XXXIV victory against the Tennessee Titans. He threw for two touchdowns and a Super Bowl record 414 passing yards, including a 73 yard touchdown to Isaac Bruce when the game was tied with just over two minutes to play. Warner also set a Super Bowl record by attempting 45 passes without a single interception.

Warner was awarded the 1999 Super Bowl MVP, becoming one of only six players to win both the league MVP and Super Bowl MVP awards in the same year. The others are Bart Starr in 1966, Terry Bradshaw in 1978, Joe Montana in 1989, Emmitt Smith in 1993, and Steve Young in 1994.

[edit] 2000 Season
    Warner started the 2000 season well, racking up 300 or more passing yards in each of his first 6 games (tying Steve Young's record) and posting 19 touchdown passes in that stretch. Warner broke his hand and missed the middle of the 2000 campaign, but Trent Green filled in ably and the Warner/Green duo led the Rams to the highest team passing yard total in NFL history, with 5,232 net yards. Warner and Green's combined gross passing yard total was 5,492, which if held by just one player, would surpass the single-season record set by Dan Marino (5,084 yards). In contrast to his previous season, however, Warner's turnover ratio drastically increased in 2000, throwing an interception in 5.2% of his attempts. Due to a very poor defensive unit, the Rams were eliminated from the playoffs in the wild card round despite one of the most productive offensive years by an NFL team. Nine of the Rams' eleven defensive starters would be cut during the offseason, and Trent Green was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.

[edit] 2001 Season
    Warner quickly returned to form in 2001. Although his season lagged behind his 1999 performance, he amassed a league-high 36 touchdown passes and 4,830 passing yards, a total second only to Dan Marino all-time. Warner lacked the accuracy he showed in 1999, however, by throwing a career-high 22 interceptions. He led "The Greatest Show on Turf" to an NFL-best 14-2 record and an appearance in Super Bowl XXXVI, which the heavily favored Rams lost to the New England Patriots. He was named the NFL MVP for the second time at the close of the season, giving the Rams their third winner in as many years (running back Marshall Faulk won in 2000).

In Super Bowl XXXVI Warner threw for 365 yards and a passing touchdown along with two interceptions and one rushing touchdown. After falling behind the Patriots 17-3, two Warner touchdowns tied the game late in the fourth quarter. The game ended when Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri booted a game-winning field goal as time expired, giving the Patriots the first of three Super Bowl wins in four years. Warner's 365 yards passing was second only to his own record of 414 in Super Bowl XXXIV.

[edit] 2002-2003 Seasons
    Going into 2002, analysts felt that Warner's Super Bowl XXXVI loss was an aberration, but observers noticed a distinct loss of velocity on Warner's throws in the 2002 preseason[citation needed]. Warner began the season 0-3 as a starter, throwing seven interceptions against only one touchdown. In their fourth game against the Dallas Cowboys, Warner broke a finger on his throwing hand, and despite attempting to come back later in the season, his injury only allowed him to play two more games (both losses). In contrast to his 103.4 career passer rating entering the season, Warner posted a minuscule 67.4 rating in 2002. Warner was replaced as the Rams' starting quarterback after fumbling six times in the opener of the 2003 season against the New York Giants. Warner's replacement as the Rams quarterback, Marc Bulger, would be named to two Pro Bowls and is currently third all-time in completion percentage (trailing only Warner and Chad Pennington).

[edit] New York Giants
    The Rams released Warner on June 1, 2004. Two days later, he signed a two-year deal with the New York Giants.

Warner started the 2004 season as the starting quarterback, winning five of his first seven games, but following several poor performances in a two-game losing streak, rookie quarterback Eli Manning was given the starting job. Giants coach Tom Coughlin later stated that he regretted starting Warner and should have played Manning from the beginning in order to give him experience and build his confidence. The Giants had a 5-4 win-loss record at the time of Warner's benching, finishing at 6-10 overall (going only 1-6 under Manning

Not sure, it was just a few years but the number are so big time. As for the Gaints he was doing ok, we all know how Marc took tme to get used to a new system. Warner was doing ok, he did muck better then the kid.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Absolutely no way does Warner get in the HOF. He's not considered one of the "greats" by football writers, even when he was playing. They looked at him more as a "feel good" Cinderella story and a product of Martz's (cough) genius.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast