DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Williams faced suspension for third failed test for pot

July 29, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its website Thursday.

Advertisement

Williams told the newspaper marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he indicated when he walked away after just five pro seasons. He said he learned of the failed test and possible suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt last week he was through playing.

Williams said, however, there were "a hundred reasons" for his retirement and his desire to continue smoking marijuana was only one of them.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he told the Herald. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Dolphins spokesman Neal Gulkis and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined comment Thursday when reached by The Associated Press.

Williams told the newspaper he is not addicted to marijuana.

In May, three South Florida newspapers quoted unidentified sources saying Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the substance-abuse policy for the second time since joining the Dolphins in 2002.

Even if Miami fans get their wish of a return, Ricky Williams would likely face a four-game suspension.(AP)
    He told the Herald for Thursday's story he already decided to quit football before that second positive test. He appealed that fine, but received word last week his appeal had been denied, the Herald reported.

While the appeal was pending, Williams said, he continued smoking marijuana during a trip to Europe and failed a third test upon his return.

He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons, but he didn't do that before the last test.

Williams first failed a drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002, the Herald reported. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and taking eight to 10 random urine tests a month, the story said.

Williams suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for the anti-depressant Paxil. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

Williams played three seasons for New Orleans but didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Roman18 is offline Registered User

Re: Williams faced suspension for third failed test for pot

What a total waste. Different values for different folk. I guess he has all the money he needs to feed his habit. Happy toking, Ricky :upset:
    Roman18

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Maybe a waste. Maybe not. Timing might be a issue, but motivation I think is irrelevant. If he blew out a knee the 1st day of training camp, people might have said "what a shame." But they would have said it is just part of the business also and moved on.

So Williams said football is interfering with his life. He was an employee, got paid handsomely and if smart, stashed away enough so that he could live on more each year then others will take 30 years to earn in pension. And he did it before football took its toll in injuries, arthritis, surgeries or what-have-you. Contrary to Dikta's idiotic remark that "Football is his life," football was only part of his life and if he wants no part of it, so what, he paid his dues.

And as for timing and teammates and organization. Two weeks notice is a courtesy, not an obligation. And no one knows for sure if some of the team and part of the organization doesn't deserve any sort of courtesy just because of what they may have said or done in the past.

And as for whether drug-testing should color his actions, society has got that upside down too. Rather than trying to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator, if competion is a business and risks are part of the rewards, well then steriods and any other so-called performance enhancing- substances should be regulated and monitored for health risks not banned. Why shouldn't Lasic surgery be banned? Doesn't that health intervbention enhance performance? What if a near-sighted person doesn't want to have surgery, should evry one have glasses just to mainatin equal footing?

Society is an immature little brat whining at every turn. Ban society. Legalize early retirement without criticism.

Roman18 is offline Registered User

You had me there for the first two paragraphs. Level headed explaination....really quite good. What happened with the last three paragraphs?
    Roman18

Uh ... the substances probably wore off ???

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Two weeks notice is a courtesy, not an obligation.
    In my book, courtesy IS an obligation. Boy, you're starting to sound like elAcky.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Society is an immature little brat whining at every turn.
    Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? :P
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. Head
    In my book, courtesy IS an obligation.

In an ideal sense, I wouldn't disagree. But that is why I added the next statement about how people in the organization "might" have treated Williams could qualify his actions.

Hypothetical: Let's assume two weeks notice is a courtesy and courtesy is an obligation. My employer has "treated me right" during the length of my employment and I want to quit, I agree I should extend the courtesy to my employer to give advance notice. Period.

On the other hand, let's say during my employment, I have been passed for promotion because the President's son has reached 18 and dad wants him out of the house. To my mind, that act of disrespect has abrogated the employer's right to enjoy the fruits of my obligation. The moral imperative no longer applies and I should not be bound to a social contract that was breached by the employer.

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black?

I'm not sure what to make of this remark. If you're accusing me of whining simply for remarking about some of the commentary that has emerged from William's decision to quit, I'm not sure what prompted this misplaced smack because I find it severely misguided because you would be hard-pressed to cite me taking pot-shots at everything every opportunity[PS: me alluding to you in the sponsership thread simply was coat-tailing on our Funniest thread banter about dividing up political duties and I don't see any insult intended so I'm not sure if this wasn't prompted by that]

If my drugs haven't quite kicked in and I missed what you meant and you are just comparing brats to society and saying using them in the same sentence is redundant, well maybe true.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

adarian_too,

Don't hide them, divide them! :redface:

LOL

FLO
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have watched some interviews about Ricky Williams and they say he was already thinking about retiring and I think the drug charge pushed him over the edge. Without the charge he probably would have played the season out. He seems to be a complex man filled with many passions. I can respect that he would choose to retire before his body gives out, especially if he has other goals in mind.

Williams suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for the anti-depressant Paxil. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.
    I think it is short-sighted to see his use of marijuana as a weakness or a quirk of the wealthy. People who suffer from some sort of mental imbalance often choose to self-medicate using legal and illegal stimulants and/or depressants to stabilize their world. Stability is important to happiness. I admire Williams for being vocal about a controversial subject.

It's too bad that he wasn't able to retire at a better time.

Adarian, yet another tangent from you. Not a surprise. Did you get passed up for a promotion recently? You sound a bit bitter I must say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by utterblitz
    You sound a bit bitter I must say.

Well, I suppose you're entitled to read between the lines whatever you like. I detest injustice ... recognizing the fact that it is my version of injustice. I have seen the victors reap the spoils of political patronage and I do not suffer the fools gladly.

Quote Originally Posted by utterblitz
    People ... often choose to self-medicate using legal and illegal stimulants and/or depressants to stabilize their world. Stability is important to happiness.
    I wouldn't agree that those who choose to self-medicate are necessarily "mentally imbalanced" in the conventional sense; instead I will say that people in The Hollow tend to view those who self-medicate as somewhat better balanced than the rest of us ... there is always a question of choice and abuse of choices in achieving the "proper" sense of balance.

Very nice debate folks

My two cents....Where I work we've had our fair share of people not showing up, quitting at the last minute, etc. Yeah, it means more hours and money for me, but timing is always polite (manners being slowly diminished from many in our society). My beef was that if this was something he had been thinking about since January as some have reported, he needed to speak with someone so Miami could have been prepared for it: Draft, Free Agency. Two days before he "retired" Eddie George signed, maybe Miami could have been players in that. In the NFL, two weeks notice is difficult with the way the season is set out. However, timing should have been an issue to him.

As far as his reasons for quitting, if his heart isn't into it, then more power to him. BUT, as a fan, it hurts to know that we can no longer watch a stellar athlete perform.

I do think this shows us one and all that listening to Jim Brown is not the best career advice (see also Maurice Clarett).
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    My beef was that if this was something he had been thinking about since January as some have reported, he needed to speak with someone so Miami could have been prepared for it: Draft, Free Agency. Two days before he "retired" Eddie George signed, maybe Miami could have been players in that. In the NFL, two weeks notice is difficult with the way the season is set out. However, timing should have been an issue to him.
    I disagree. First, to get it out of the way, people bring up the Eddie George factor a lot, but I think the Dolphins would be better with a combo of Travis Minor and, say, Sammy Morris than Eddie George. Yes, if Ricky had mentioned it earlier, the Dolphins would have had a shot at George. But would they have taken it? I somehow doubt it.

Anyways, when Ricky said he's been thinking about retirement for a couple months now, he's not talking about retirement this season. Based on the reports I've read, his intention was to retire after this season. Whether or not the drug thing pushed him to move it up a year, who knows. But I don't think it's accurate to say he's been thinking about retiring this year for months now.

I think people are underestimating what Williams actually gave the Dolphins. He retired days before training camp. He gave them camp and the preseason to fine tune the offense toward different personnel. He could have toughed it out only to make this decision before the last preseason game. Then where would the Dolphins be? Yes, Williams's decision could have come at a much better time. But it could also have come at a much worse time as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I don't think the 'phins would have gotten George, but it would have been another option. As far as what he gave the Dolphins, 1,372 yards ain't bad.
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ