Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Warner13 is offline Registered User

Question Worst officating moment in the past couple of years

After seeing the officals getting hit with beer bottles in todays browns game for a supposed "technical difficulty" it brought back memorys of years past in wich refs have messed up. So i ask the members: What was the Worst officating moment in the past couple of years

my vote goes to the messed up coin toss between the steelers and the lions 2 or 3 years ago. Bettis called tails in the air, the coin landed tails and the ref said the call was heads. Note this was in OT on thanksgiving. PRETTY BAD MOMENT considering all of America heard the call.:rolleyes:

Rams Rule
    You cant do nothin about it either
    :lid:

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    That officiating moment was a bad one, however, the reaction of the Browns fans cannot be tolerated. The team should be fined for what the fans did on Sunday. That was a total disgrace to every professional fan. To all my dear friends outside the U.S., please do not take the following comment out of context, but NFL fans should not act like a bunch of crazed German soccer fans who just lost a World Cup game. Just like every soccer fan dosen't punch their neighbor in the stands, every fan at the Browns game wasn't throwing bottles. Enough were throwing bottles Sunday though for me to say I never want to watch a game at Cleveland, even if the Rams have a heritage there.

What is most alarming is that this isn't the first time the city of Cleveland have had trouble with their fans. The Indians 10 cent beer night in the late 70's was a really smart move, NOT. First time ever a baseball game had to be cancelled due to crowd control. When the Browns announced their move to Baltimore after the final game, the crowd dismantled the stands at old Memorial Stadium.

Maybe the pro sports teams in Cleveland need their liquor license revoked until someone tells the fans in Cleveland to do one major thing: GROW UP!!!!

The Limey is offline Registered User
    Originally posted by txramsfan
    NFL fans should not act like a bunch of crazed German soccer fans who just lost a World Cup game.
    Whgen Germany lost 5-1 to England in Munich during a World Cup qualifier this September, their fans were too shocked to throw an insult never mind a punch or a bottle.
    If the biggest pronblem you've got in the NFL is a few drunken Browns fans throwing bottles on the pitch count yourself lucky.
    In the 1980s El Salvador and Honduras had an 11-day war after an ill-tempered World Cup match between the two soccer teams.
    Now that's hooliganism on a grand scale.

The Limey is offline Registered User

Re: Worst officating moment in the past couple of years

Originally posted by Warner13
    my vote goes to the messed up coin toss between the steelers and the lions 2 or 3 years ago. Bettis called tails in the air, the coin landed tails and the ref said the call was heads.
    Wasn't that the same official, by the way, who collided with Horn to stop a Saints TD a couple of weeks back?

Re: Re: Worst officating moment in the past couple of years

Originally posted by The Limey

Wasn't that the same official, by the way, who collided with Horn to stop a Saints TD a couple of weeks back?
    Yes it was. They mentioned that when it happened.

Fired

That offical should be fired!!! or moved to 3rd grade football, but even that might be a challenge for him:confused:
    Rams Rule

Atlas is offline Registered User
    Bristol Tennessee, but I wish I were in Germany.
    The Browns were robbed. Pure and simple. There can be no doubt. I can't blame the fans too much for what happened. That call would piss me off even if it came against the Rams. It was bull****.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious."

{Vince Lombardi}

One of the main arguments I've heard is when the buzzer actually went off on the pager. Now, c'mon, its the NFL. Don't ya think that they would equip the coaches also with pagers? Just to notify them that a play would be reviewed? I mean, they give the coach a red flag for all but 2 minutes of each half huh?

Does anyone else find stupidity in this? At least BOTH sidelines would have known of the review, at the SAME time. But that may be too logical.

:upset:

DaddoRam is offline Registered User
    Not that it would have been any excuse for the criminal behavior of the Cleveland fans, but they absolutely were NOT robbed. The call was correct. People continue to deflect the issue of the inexcusable fan behavior by talking about the refs decision, but it was the right one. That was no catch.

That's not the point. YOU CANNOT CHALLENGE A PLAY AFTER THE BALL IS SNAPPED. PERIOD! Calls have been made good AND bad. The original call may or may not have been bad. It's beside the point. You can't challenge it. And those refs should all be fired.

There is no fairness... No respect... No honor.... No JUSTICE ... if the refs don't act in a consistent manor. They did not. They broke one of the most infamous rules of all. When the refs brake the very rules they're supposed to enforce, then everything, EVERYTHING we love about football means nothing! It's all bull****. Football would be no better then your typical politician. It's all one big load of crap.
    Last edited by Atlas; -12-17-2001 at 07:12 PM.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious."

{Vince Lombardi}

DaddoRam is offline Registered User
    Atlas, that's not the case. If a call comes FROM THE BOOTH before the snap, you CAN review after the play. That's what happened Sunday. It was confusing, but they DID follow the rules completely.
    What is a big load of crap is people thinking that it's OK to throw things onto the field because they don't like the decision of game officials. Whether it was right or wrong, we should be focusing on THAT, not on the officials.
    But, the officials bravely made the CORRECT decision.

Regardless, they need to figure out a better form/procedure of communication to try and avoid these situations. Who's to say that the officials haven't stretched the truth a bit to cover themselves. Who knows?? No one. These things cannot be allowed to happen. It blemishes an already shaky reputation of football officiating.

{Vince Lombardi}

Better system

I have givin this some though as to how too improve the review system. it might be too outright but it would work. With under 2 min remaining and there is a review, the review booth sends a message to the refs.. just as they do now, however they also make a call over to the Public adress anoucer, and have them say it thougout the stadium, that way EVERYONE heres it.

crazy? mabey:wiseman:
    Rams Rule

thoey is offline Registered User

Not bad...

Why not have an audio alarm and a visual alarm. You know, something like the red light above a hockey goal. Upstairs booth pushes a button, buzzer goes off, light starts spinning, and a horn sounds. Would be easy to keep a camera on the light and be able to sync the view of that with a view of the play to see which happened first.
    This space for rent...

Hmmm...

It might work however if you had a buzzer go off, light start to spin, and a horn go off it could alarm some elderly and young fans. Back in the cold war, if an alarm went off it ment that the russians were attacking, or it was a drill, and i bet not alot of fans would react kindly to that kind of comotion.
    Rams Rule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast