Thread: Worst Rules

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Worst Rules

With the new rules being announced it got me thinking how crazy some of them are. Not only the new ones, but some that have been in place. What do you think the worst rule in the NFL is? You got a lot to choose from, tuck rule, chin strap, no endzone celebrations, flag football with the QB, don't touch the receiver, lose 5 yards on a spike....and so on and so forth.

I vote the downfield contact rule. I watched Ricky Manning Jr. throw down Todd Pinkston by the face mask in the NFC championship a few years ago. That was awesome. Now you have to have a bubble around the WR so he has a "fair chance" to catch the ball. Soon it's gonna be, "Ref, he was breathing to loud I couldn't concentrate on catching" 15 yard penalty....

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Worst Rules

I hate that offensive holding is 10 yards

I hate that defensive holding is an automatic first down

I hate that pass interference is a SoF penalty and an automatic first down (if the SoF didn't provide one already)

I hate that the rule against excessive celebration is a ridiculous 15 yards.

In fact, I hate the rule against excessive celebration

I had a list at one point, but these are the ones off the top of my head

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Presently, False Start = 5 yard penalty

If I had my way it would be:

1st offense= warning
    2nd offense= 1 yard penalty
    3rd offense= 2 yard penalty
    4th offense= 3 yard penalty
    5th offense= 4 yard penalty
    6th offense= 5 yard penalty (5 yards being the maximum penalty)

Thank you

ALEX BARRON:r

Keenum is offline Registered User

The tuck rule. Sorry, but BRADY FUMBLED THAT FOOTBALL!!!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Can someone explain the tuck rule?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Can someone explain the tuck rule?
    NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: "When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble."

What Brady did was a PUMP FAKE, you could tell because of his throwing motion. He was going to bring the ball back to his side. Therefore, he had tucked the ball back into his body and lost posession, and as the last sentence says, that is a fumble.
    It's a matter of opinion of how you view it, but it was a FUMBLE.
    Hope this helps. There is a little more info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

viper is offline Registered User

I haven't heard anything about the new rules for this year. Can someone post them that has access to them? Thanks!

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I watched Ricky Manning Jr. throw down Todd Pinkston by the face mask in the NFC championship a few years ago. That was awesome.

Thats awesome? Have you ever wore a helmet & been grab by the face mask & taken down by the face mask? It's a good way to end someones career, by your logic maybe we should bring back the head slap.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/62371/

Come on man, I didn't turn on ESPN on Monday Night to watch Figure Skating. I wanna see guys get the crap beaten out of them. Same reason people watch Ultimate Fighting or Wrestling. We don't need to get angry about it, maybe Todd saved your life or something. I'm not saying football should be WWE but let them play.
    Last edited by RedArcher7; -08-08-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I haven't heard anything about the new rules for this year. Can someone post them that has access to them? Thanks!
    I think this is all of it:

Written by Danny Ludiker
    Tuesday, 17 April 2007

A number of playing-rules changes were adopted by NFL owners at the NFL Annual Meeting in late March. The following are the changes released earlier this week, with comments from the co-chairman of the NFL Competition Committee, Rich McKay:

• INSTANT REPLAY: Made a permanent rule. “We think instant replay has been an accepted part of our game now for a number of years,” says McKay. “It’s worked quite well.” Also, high-definition replay equipment will be installed in NFL stadiums.

• INSTANT REPLAY: Also made permanent in the replay system were “down-by-contact” as a reviewable play and each review being limited to a maximum of 60 seconds.

• SPIKING OF BALL: It will now be a five-yard penalty for a player to spike or throw the ball after a down has ended, except for after a touchdown. “We did not think this type of spiking was good for sportsmanship or the administration of the game by officials,” says McKay.

• PLAYER SAFETY: It will now be a 15-yard penalty (rather than five yards) for a player to make a block below the waist against an eligible receiver while the quarterback is in the pocket. Also, when a player who receives the snap fumbles or muffs the ball; the restrictions on the defensive team relative to illegal contact and an illegal cut-block will end.

• TWO-MINUTE WARNING/10-SECOND RUNOFF: The requirement that the offense has to be behind in the score or the score has to be tied for a 10-second clock runoff to be exercised against the offense for an excess timeout with two minutes to go in the first half or in the game has been eliminated. Now a 10-second runoff will take place no matter what the game situation. Any possible advantage for the offense (e.g., the old rule would not require a 10-second runoff if it were ahead) has been eliminated. The defense has the option to decline a 10-second runoff (which will give it more time should it get the ball back).

• CLOCK STOPPAGE: Two exceptions were added to the rule that dictates that the play clock be restarted at the time at which it was stopped prior to the snap. Now an instant replay review prior to the two-minute warning will reset the clock at 25 seconds (as has been the case with other stoppages such as a penalty), as will an instant replay review after the two-minute warning that results in a reversal. These changes will make the administration of the rule more consistent.

• PACE OF GAME: The foul for unintentional touching of a forward pass by an interior lineman has been eliminated. It was felt that no advantage was gained by the offense on such a play, and elimination of the rule would speed up the game.

• CROWD NOISE: The five-yard penalty against the defense for excessive crowd noise has been eliminated. The penalty had not been called in many years. Although they are not playing-rule changes, two procedures for coaching employment also were changed:

• Assistant coaches on Super Bowl teams may now interview for a second time with a club for its head-coaching position during the off-week after the championship game. “We wanted to make sure that coaches on Super Bowl teams did not feel it was a disadvantage,” says McKay.

• Clubs now have the exclusive right to an assistant coach’s contract through the second Tuesday after their season has ended or last playoff game, rather than the third Tuesday as in the past.

END

About the 10 second runnoff, that means we WOULD HAVE BEATEN THE SEAHAWKS LAST YEAR! One year too late. That would have been one more win, a playoff spot, and you guys know how hot we were going into the playoffs... makes you think.